Being a Maid Is Better Than Being a Princess - Vol. 1 Ch. 27

Dex-chan lover
Deep in the spectrum.

I've known a kid like that back in high school. He clings to me because I'm the only one that want to talk to him. But it gets kinda weird because he told me literally everything. I told him that he need to rein himself because I'm just a friend. Not his mom. He understood in the end though. Although not without problems.

Dex-chan lover
Oh, he’s on the spectrum! 😲 I mean I know there’s that one attorney manhwa that has an autistic protagonist, but there aren’t any manhwa that depict nonverbal autistic people. And it’s being respectful about it??? :clap:
I think that Manhwa got turned into a netflix show.

Dex-chan lover
It's still too early to say that, but I am hopeful.
I read the novel and:
It never feels like she's "fixing" the child as much as that she's fixing his surroundings and making them see "his appeal" or talents, it's more about the mother learning to be, well a mother. I don't quite remember anything that was offensive. A little cliche maybe, but we're reading an otome isekai. Cliche was to be expected.

So yeah in attempts to portray mental illness and neurodivergency, this one is definitly not bad. I dare say, even good, or just plain neutral (at worst)

Edit: Forgot to mention, they also never name drop autism and such. Personally I think that was a good choice because it just leaves more wiggle room so to say. Since lot's of divergencies and mental illnesses are a spectrum and comorbidities are a thing

Dex-chan lover
comorbidities are a thing
IE: VL99's protag has PTSD and one or both of ADHD or OCD, alongside having a ghost literally fucking with her mind and even hijacking her body in very niche situations.

Dex-chan lover
IE: VL99's protag has PTSD and one or both of ADHD or OCD, alongside having a ghost literally fucking with her mind and even hijacking her body in very niche situations.
IE: VL99????? What's that?

Supporter
I read the novel and:
It never feels like she's "fixing" the child as much as that she's fixing his surroundings and making them see "his appeal" or talents, it's more about the mother learning to be, well a mother. I don't quite remember anything that was offensive. A little cliche maybe, but we're reading an otome isekai. Cliche was to be expected.

So yeah in attempts to portray mental illness and neurodivergency, this one is definitly not bad. I dare say, even good, or just plain neutral (at worst)

Edit: Forgot to mention, they also never name drop autism and such. Personally I think that was a good choice because it just leaves more wiggle room so to say. Since lot's of divergencies and mental illnesses are a spectrum and comorbidities are a thing
Thanks for that - the initial description was so spot on for "classic" autism that I was seriously considering whether to drop this, or at least put it on indefinite hold until this new arc had finished and I could make an informed decision about picking it up again.

Also, the grandfather needs to have some re-education of his own . . . preferably with lessons from someone with a large blunt instrument.

Dex-chan lover
A certain grandfather deserves death by torture. This isn't even so much a spectrum problem as it is severe cptsd due to continuous abuse.

All the wrong treatment making the problem worse, that's going to be hard to undo.
8+ years of being screamed at and force fed for his regular reactions (and likely worse behind the scenes) ....this kid is gonna be spending the rest of his life unlearning the abuse his grandfather inflicted on him and that his mother enabled.

I know she likely is a victim too, you can see in the way she flinches when her father comes near her, but god it took her so long to try to intervene I feel so bad for her and her baby. 😭

Aggregator gang
I read the novel and:

That's nice. I hope the Manhwa can adapt this well.

Users who are viewing this thread