Being able to see # of chapters uploaded in search would be nice and/or visibility on if a series is a manga/manhua/manhwa/original language on the fr

Dex-chan lover
Front/home page: Being able to see latest uploaded chapter so you can see if a series only has 2 chapters or 50+. But you can't see if it's a manga, manhwa, or manhua.

Search page: Able to search by original language(not ideal imo) but you can't see how many chapters been uploaded.

The issue is being forced to click on the series link just to see how many chapters is uploaded or to see if it's a manga or webtoon,etc. I have a preference of waiting until some chapters been released like 10-15+ before I consider reading a series or not, the search and front page for discovery is a bit of a pain to use, especially on mobile.

Another defaultbro asking the exact same topic thats been denied a thousand times with the same response.

READ THE DAMN STICKY!

Dex-chan lover
The only thing in the suggestions that is even remotely related to the sticky is Settings: Blacklist language of origin and demographic. Which is not that related . . .

Dex-chan lover
i don't know man, anything that have "number of chapter" that have been suggested here is always denied. i wonder why?
READ THE DAMN STICKY
in case you wondering which:
Rejected > Titles > Total chapter count (per language)
here's the link to the sticky if you still wondering: https://mangadex.org/thread/148705

Dex-chan lover
That's for the tile page though. I'm assuming that's series pages. I'm suggesting showing latest chapter uploaded/# of chapters uploaded in the search or being able to see origin language on the homepage. I don't even see how knowing having a chapters uploaded counter on a title page is even relevant.

Dex-chan lover
my words might put the devs into bad position, so let me apologize in advance.
if they won't bother put # of chapter uploaded in the title page, what makes you think they'd put it in any other pages?

also being able to see origin language is already planned at some point, but there's a possibility that it's just my brain farting.

also the title part in the sticky doesn't mean it's just about the title page, it's about titles in general.

Dex-chan lover
@MavB_Ver

So https://mangadex.org/updates can so multiple chapters uploaded per series at once is fine as well as the front page, but showing latest chapter uploaded/# of chapters uploaded in Search breaks the site? The search page can even show when the series was last updated . . . I'm not sure how displaying something like that would break the site.

@hazzack
Because putting # of chapter uploaded in the title page is redundant? You can scroll down and see the # of chapters. My suggestion of # of chapters uploaded or even latest updated chapter in search improves functionality. As I mentioned you have to click to the title page to see how many chapters are uploaded, which is 100% a pain on mobile.

All the planned/rejected for titles seem to be for the title pages itself. Which I mean https://mangadex.org/title/#### which have title in the url. So you're assuming it is in general in an abstract sense but I'm assuming it's not because it would make all those planned/rejected changes very abstract and not make much sense.

Fed-Kun's army
@xenos
I don't see how the latest updates page is relevant.

The latest updates only show you the chapters in the order the chapters are uploaded, not the number of chapters right?
To search for that number of chapters, you must querry for that kind of data in the database. If it's only the total of chapters uploaded, it's simple but high chance that's not what you want. The problem lies in the number of chapters per languages. It increases the querries needed like a lot. That, and your language preference settings. Believe or not, they used to have this kind of function in the search, but have to disable it.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
As mentioned, this has been rejected, many, many, many, many, many times before because the complexity required is simply not something we can realistically support with our current system of retrieving and caching data.

@xenos posted:

I have a preference of waiting until some chapters been released like 10-15+ before I consider reading a series or not
Showing just the raw amount of chapters uploaded is naive anyway because any given chapter may have multiple uploads in multiple languages. 10-15 chapters means nothing if only four of them are in English (or whatever language you read), and half of them are duplicates by other groups. The solution, of course, is to only take into account the user's language filter, but that just adds on the complexity I was talking about.

In short, would be nice yeah, but the site is just not built for it at the moment.

As for language flags for the front page, we were thinking about doing it even though they make it look messy.

Users who are viewing this thread