Berserk - Vol. 42 Ch. 373 - Rusted Iron Bands Unable To Push On

Dex-chan lover
Oh man, I'm excited to see how Guts will go on. The sword was a projection of himself, he trusted that his sword will never betray him, and the hesitation to slash Griffith meant that he lost not only Casca but also the one thing genuinely trusted all his life, himself. And now the Berserker armor is offering to take its place for the price of his body, mind, life and possibly everything else precious to him.

I pray I live long enough to see the end of this series.
At least someone is talking about the actual chapter.
I thought he couldn't cut griffin because of his Gohand voodoo magic thingy and felt powerless in front of him.

Dex-chan lover
There's a bit of difference between the 2. In Guardians of Desire Guts couldn't hit Femto simply because of sheer difference of power. Guts was fully intending to kill Griffith with every move and Griffith was basically throwing him around with godhand powers.

In this arc, however, Guts stopped his own hand. You can argue that he stopped to prevent hurting Casca but from how I see it it seems that Guts only noticed Casca after the fact. That 1 wavering moment alone is the thing that damages his psyche the most. At least that's my opinion.
I think Elf Island changed him, softened him up and stopped his momentum. He couldn't even help heal Casca's mind back, all he could do is watch others do it for him. Now it's impossible for him to regain it and keep struggling like before. I don't want to consider that he hesitated for a different reason, that'd be too dark or too bad of a decision by the writers...
This time too, it's not like Elf Island gave some hope of defeating Griffith. I don't remember that it did anyway. They only achieved restoring Casca's sanity. Well it's reasonable for him to be so crushed by her being kidnapped after that, just because of that alone.

Dex-chan lover
At least someone is talking about the actual chapter.
I thought he couldn't cut griffin because of his Gohand voodoo magic thingy and felt powerless in front of him.
Oh Griffith definitely got some Godhand voodoo shit going on, all of the attacks were going through him after all lmao.
But he was still relentlessly swinging his sword in rage regardless, but the way he stopped his hands before he even noticed Casca shows that there's a speck of doubt in his resolve.
Like, he really only rely on himself when it comes to his goal. Sure he learned to trust and rely on others (once in Golden Age, once again throughout Millenium Falcon Arc) but his trust is limited to entrusting the person he loves to the people he trusts. Killing Griffith is his deal and himself alone.

And to learn that after everything, there's a part of him that wouldn't do it? That is scary. He spent his life being so self-reliant not needing others, what else would he have to rely on if he can't trust himself?

Double-page supporter
Fuck. I hope Guts wins against his inner demon. It'll make him stronger mentally and that's exactly what he needs right now. Otherwise, the temporary power of the armor will consume whatever is left of him.

It doesn't feel like events have any sort of connection anymore. The story has turned into "and then this happens". Casca regains her memory, and then Griffith kidnaps her, and then island disappears, and then kushan pirates arrive out of nowhere.

Dex-chan lover
Oh Griffith definitely got some Godhand voodoo shit going on, all of the attacks were going through him after all lmao.
But he was still relentlessly swinging his sword in rage regardless, but the way he stopped his hands before he even noticed Casca shows that there's a speck of doubt in his resolve.
Like, he really only rely on himself when it comes to his goal. Sure he learned to trust and rely on others (once in Golden Age, once again throughout Millenium Falcon Arc) but his trust is limited to entrusting the person he loves to the people he trusts. Killing Griffith is his deal and himself alone.

And to learn that after everything, there's a part of him that wouldn't do it? That is scary. He spent his life being so self-reliant not needing others, what else would he have to rely on if he can't trust himself?
The only reason Guts stopped his swing in Chapter 367 is because he noticed Casca, not because of Griffith. Like in Chapter 366 Guts was already swinging at Griffith no problem. Guts is despairing because the Dragonslayer wasn't reaching Griffith at all, the most it did was cut a strand of hair.

Dex-chan lover
It doesn't feel like events have any sort of connection anymore. The story has turned into "and then this happens". Casca regains her memory, and then Griffith kidnaps her, and then island disappears, and then kushan pirates arrive out of nowhere.
Mori Kouji said:
"I have a message and a promise to everyone, I will recall the details as much as possible and tell the story. Also, I will only write the episodes that Miura talked to me about. I will not flesh it out. I will not write episodes that I don't remember clearly. I will only write the lines and stories that Miura described to be. Of course, it will not be perfect. Still I think I can almost tell the story that Miura wanted to tell."

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Interesting that Guts is able to keep going somehow or the other so long as Casca is somewhere safe (like in the very beginning) but as soon as he loses her he's in this state. Hope they can reunite 😭

Dex-chan lover
Roderick did it, he found a passage to the "not" Indias, East, the world is round Berserkbros.

Dex-chan lover
Interesting that Guts is able to keep going somehow or the other so long as Casca is somewhere safe (like in the very beginning) but as soon as he loses her he's in this state. Hope they can reunite 😭
I think Casca is only half to the equation, Guts is also shocked his swordsmanship has zero effect on Griffith. Being able to swing a sword throughout his life is what allowed him to live through difficult times. Getting raped? Gut the rapist with a sword. Need money? Be a mercenary with good sword skills. Protect your woman against monsters? Swing that slab of iron and kill apostles. His confidence must be broken after how his mastery over his sword is no longer something he can trust to fight the obstacle before him.

Dex-chan lover
guts' first line of dialogue will be telling the kushan pirates hes sleepy

i want to pet the beast

Dex-chan lover
After it turned into a DnD 2.0 campaign with a parallel story that makes The god Hand into morally grey to some degree and ludicrously OP (boring) and both stories go bernanas I lost almost all interest.
I’m just watching the trainwreck.

bugldybugldybugldybuggle turninabob schnobberobber.
Only one person has seen Winnebago Man.

Dex-chan lover
Gonna get some flak for this take but.. at this point I don't mind a cliche "anime power up" for Guts. The man needs one since a dozen chapters ago, especially since that last humiliation.

Gonna get some flak for this take but.. at this point I don't mind a cliche "anime power up" for Guts. The man needs one since a dozen chapters ago, especially since that last humiliation.
super guts gunna turn into nuts from serserk and swing his dick thrusting griffith's booty hole

Users who are viewing this thread