Berserk

Double-page supporter
@CuddleStruggle - First off. When it was just him out there, Guts turned into an absolute wreck and almost died multiple times in the process. This is not the same Guts who before, left the Band to find his own reason to live and to stand on equal grounds with Griffith. Without Casca and, by extension the new party, Post-Eclipse Guts would be dead. "You're like a drawn sword on the battlefield. One with countless nicks, soaked in blood and rusting... With a lethal crack in it. A sword that's begun to break."

Second, he did returned to the band (albeit indirectly). He realized him leaving was foolish and misguided and was willing to stay and help, if not that then he wanted to take Casca with him on his travels. For obvious reasons though, this didn't work out. But the notion still stands.

Guts is a bullheaded, stubborn man with a shockingly bad sense of foresight. "The place I belong... Maybe it did exist. I was too stupid and stubborn to notice it, but what I really wished for back then was here." "Why do I always see these things after they're done and gone?" "Did I go and do it again...? You mean.. Did I lose something before I even noticed it again?!"

@Neo-Accelerator Guts is not such a pussy that he is unable to live on his own. It literally engraved in his childhood, when nothing good was awaiting him and a bunch of hungry wolves where approaching him. He could just let it all end because he lost the closest thing he had to a family at that time, but he did not. Yes, he might die in a battle, but never will he take his own life simply because things are hard or sad. And if anything Guts has exposed himself to significantly more danger because of Casca, because trying to protect a useless person can easily get you killed on the battlefield. Like that episode where he had to fight about a hundred mercenaries by himself simply to let Casca escape - he almost died because of how useless she was.

Double-page supporter
@CuddleStruggle I never implied anything about Guts committing suicide. I meant that he would die busted up and beaten to a damn pulp because of his hardcore self destructive streak. He had very little to absolutely no regard for his own well being after the Eclipse.

Everything that happened to him during his childhood has absolutely nothing on the sheer horror of the Eclipse, it changed everything. EVERYTHING about Guts' world.

Of course he's going to put himself in front of Casca like that, he cares about her. But you keep referring to her as "useless," when A; She's not, a big chunk of the Golden Age proved that sentiment false, and B; Guts literally does not give a fuck how unfit for combat she is. He's not a complete cynic or a misanthrope, he actually has a conscience believe it or not.

The reason he sent Casca away during the hundred man fight was not only because she was ill, but also because he respects her enough to know she's not the kind of person who needs to fight a hundred men. She had aspirations and dreams, meanwhile he was still an aimless vagabond at heart. Ooo speaking of Vagabond, there's a quote from that manga that fits here pretty well. "This duel is for those prepared to die. Do not interfere, you aren't ready."

@Neo-Accelerator my point is that overall he had better chance of surviving without Casca than with her. If he just dropped her and never returned he would never be a part of eclipse sacrifice, just like Rickert. She never was a lifeline, she is just a useless burden that almost got him killed on many occasions. If anything Schierke and other have played a bigger role in creating a home to return to than her, because at the very least they had actually functioning personas you could interact with. And the funny thing that even after regaining herself she is still useless as "a home to return to", because she inflicted even more scars upon Guts - you could clearly see his painful expression the moment she tried to approach him, but was too scared to do this. I would say that Miura should just finish her off - nothing of value will be lost.

Double-page supporter
@CuddleStruggle You're forgetting something, Casca isn't the reason he got caught up in the Eclipse; Griffith is. Guts would have wanted to save him even if he didn't sleep with Casca. Rickert got "lucky," so to speak.

Even if she was simple for pretty much the entirety of Post-Eclipse, it's not her fault and it doesn't just erase their history especially since they found out that she could potentially be helped. Guts had years to suffer with the burden of the Eclipse, Casca has only just begun her suffering. She's not useless for it. And she absolutely is a lifeline for Guts, the only reason he isn't out still aimlessly hunting for a Griffith that wasn't there is because of her. And it's also because of her that people joined up with the posse to ease Guts' burden. He never would have accepted them otherwise, it's all one big convoluted healing process for him.

Guts and Casca have history, history that neither Schierke nor Farnese could ever get close to. End of story.

Wait- are you blaming her for something that is completely out of her control? That's irrational,
she woke up from a vegetative dream-like state to a strange new world and unconfronted pain
. If Miura killed her off now then literally over 20 years of character building, world building, and anticipation would be completely wasted.

@Neo-Accelerator even the Skull Knight hints that she was a total waste of time, by saying that the ending is not always a happy thing. And Schrierke and Farnese could easily replace her now given enough time, because new history can be created. Heck, he already creates history with Schrierke, because they participate in the same battles (and unlike Casca she is not useless) and she has very close connection to his soul (almost fusing together) by helping him control his armor. At this point Schrierke probably understands Guts inner self more than Casca. And Casca has very little to do with world building, because the conflict between witches and Griffith would happen regardless of that veggie. And because Skull Knight is aligned with witches and has connection with Guts they could easily find themselves on the same side fighting the same enemy. And her being gone would completely up the anticipation, because things would finally start to happen between Guts and Griffiths. The only big contribution of Casca to that world is that she gave birth to Griffiths new body, but that is more like a thing done to her, rather than a thing that she did.

edit: and now that filler episode with Casca has ended Berserk story can finally progress further. Or maybe Miura will troll us and make Guts and just live a peaceful life (by using elf magic to negate effects of the brand) and that will be the end of it.

Man, this is legendary tier manga, everyone may be speaks off every other popular manga almost all the time, but when the newest chapter from this manga comes up it will shake the world of manga up.

Has it really been 2 years since the end of Casca's dream and this is all there is to show for it?
Time and fame change men, and there's nothing wrong with Miura moving on from being the person he was when he made Berserk legendary.
But this makes me wish he'd invite someone young and hungry to work on it with him, someone who gets things moving again.

Lol to the comment.
Yeah, who knows we can live longer to see the ending + there is this new normal stuff, it is so vague. (Well, in the first place we won't be sure either about our health problems, but it's the same).
This author also took half of his life to drawing this and I can accept he needs some rest here and there. The problem is I can't see where we are going. I don't want this ended abruptly or the author chooses Duranki over this. I won't ever feel regret reading this but it's tiring to wait endlessly. Honestly, the art is gorgeous, I love it! But now it is more like something out of a fairy tale, colorful and fun.

@TheKleptomaniac

Typical MD comments being helpful as possible...

Just start at the beginning, I.E. Chapter 1.
They do a short little bit of story about how Badass Guts is and how Demons are BAD NEWS.

Then, they jump into some backstory about Guts which I think is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to his character.

After that, it gets right into the story as the 'REAL ADVENTURE' begins.

Is Miura Kentaro dead or what, this masterpiece is being forgotten !! . Does he play with us ! what's going on people ?

The author added "fantasia" but may lack imagination and can't dedicate enough time to develop these parts, as they'd slow down action scenes, which are more popular and he depends on.

If you stop to think (and got enough imagination), you see how shallow every part (like the island with monsters, the emperor's castle) is.

This manga's story was shallower than otherwise could be and was immature from the beginning.
Guts needs to succeed. He isn't intelligent, as he didn't have the education--thus, he can't scheme. He isn't tactical-minded, as he didn't live this way--thus, he lacks such ability. In the "fight against the hundred" he could only succeed by being super-human and the writing made convenient (in that case there not having crossbowmen or they being ineffective).

The demon ranger's ability is an obvious flaw to me; it's overpowered. Stories depend on characters, so the author has to make them look interesting (just a strong arrow was--apparently--not enough), but that ability was exaggerated. It was a slip-up, due his lack of comprehension of physics (as he isn't a physicist and such), allowing him to consider it viable. If it were magical, then he could structure it well (as he would make the rules), thus balance.

Haven't read the manga for 3 years. Jumped to the latest chapter. Casca is finally sane again, but the story barely moved as expected. I don't know how the author is able to finish story. How can you beat god-like beings that can manipulate reality and time without some major asspull? 😂

Users who are viewing this thread