Berserk

This manga is pretty good. Chapters come out fast as a whip too.

On opposite day.

Except the good part, that's not opposite.

this guy makes me wait hundreds of years for a chapter, then wastes it on some meme monkey kids pranks
i swear hes gonna die before we get to see anything happen.

Sometimes I wonder how many people have actually died who were fans of this manga and never got to see it complete. Sometimes I wonder if i will be one of those people.

@Top10au - after not reading the manga for 3 or 4 years, I've recently done a re-read of the whole thing up to volume 40. It's amazing how consistent the story is, and I don't mind the little diversions (Like the plight of the whores at the refugee camp under the tower, or Farnese's goal of becoming a mage).

But it does seem to have undergone a slight shift in tone. Like... After Guts' party gets on Roderick's ship, there's a significant less amount of... well, what Berserk's kinda famous for (Violence tinged with sexuality). Or brutal killing of bystanders. Heck, Guts even rescues some random sailor from a tentacle's maw. And the scene where Rakharas (or w/e the shadow-demon's name is) is on fire and dousing himself with the blood of some horses? 10 Years ago, that little girl would have gotten ripped in half, so the demon could douse the flames with her blood, no question about it.

Of course, Miura is getting older, so the taste for violence is somewhat diminished, but it is quite noticable. Nothing wrong with that, people change over time (While I'm not against violence, I do find that it's no longer the most important part of a story, as opposed to when I was younger).

alright here we go: Chapter 1. Can I finish the series before a new chapter comes out. Dun dunnnnn!

@SomeDuder
My main complaints with the series is the grim darkness, sidetracking/side characters and the slow decline of what berserk was.

The overly grim dark in the mid/early chapters is not good story telling. it’s at some points edge for the sake of edge.

Sidetracking is not good for a story there are some many times where the charters are doing insignificant things that doesn’t move the plot forward. Side characters like mr fairy shouldn’t be in a series like this and a major problem with the side charters being conventional to the plot or being completely useless.

The start of the manga to the end of the golden age arc was like Vinland sagas massive flash back that literally was an entire anime. It portrays a very clear narrative with great story telling but it switches from riding with the concepts and pushing the series forward and forward, to a more slow paced less impactful and less character driven show. It’s akin to a lost ambition Vinland and berserk had a massive shift in story it’s just that berserk’s one is harder to see. After the golden age arc berserk stops trying to push the limits with its story and turns to milking what came earlier for as long as it can.

It’s not bad but it’s like a 8/10 not too close to the sun to become fire but it’s just enough to keep you hoping

@Top10au

Berserk is still a good manga as you said and I feel that the world around Guts has been portrayed as less dark and grim due to the addition of new "friends" since we'd have to cut back to those characters when Guts would be doing ANYTHING which takes a ton off the weight of the situation and the fight that is occurring. I remember when Guts was fighting the Dragon Apostle from Griffiths new army that had a cannon in his shield and during the fight Miura kept showing the side characters' reaction to the Berserk armor eating Guts up and the amount of blood he was losing...

can't complain too much though, at least we are getting chapters. I just hope we get to see Guts mow things down again.

Where do I even start 😅

This is too overwhelming.
Also, am I missing something? Isn't there a 1990's anime?
And I saw the CG Animation on Netflix and it started the same way as the first chapter in the manga.

So confused.

@nickandnacks there is an anime adaptation from 1997 that focuses on the golden arc, it ends at the eclipse. There was then another adaption in the forms of GCI movies in 2016 that also went until the golden arc but then progressed further in a CGI show in 2017. The only real good one out of the adaptations is the 1997 anime although at times it is very powerpoint-ish but its a lot better than the CGI. Hope that helps.

I'm completly fine with the current peace. It makes sense. Remember what Guts had gone through. Some of us had literally grown up with his character since it takes so damn long but that art though. We can not over look that guts needs a long break and the shift presented with fetus boy really shows the theme that the past always shows. Like I was take aback from the comedic moment but damn was it needed, especially in the current irl dark times. Really goes to show how Miura grips the audience with such vivid and impactful moments.

Users who are viewing this thread