BIBLIOMANIA

Dex-chan lover
if you're looking at the comments to see if this is worth reading, it is
please read this, it's very good

Really hope for a twist soon. Otherwise good.

EDIT:
THE TWIST AHHHHHHHH YESSSSSS

Group Leader
It kinda bothers me how shallow everyone's reasons for avoiding real life are. Most of the people we've met are one dimensional and obviously wrong in comparison to our pure and hopeful MC.
Even when we get to someone who
has lived an excruciating life filled with pain and feeling like a leech, a life that was clearly the type of misery is not possible to opt out of (eg she's not like the bullied kid or the negligent dad, she's just painfully ill)...MC still micdrops her pointed, gotcha question and leaves with a disgusted lol on her face.
The narrative's phrasing highly suggests the woman is projecting and her family didn't think that. But like... Why does that matter? This is where it feels especially kind of shallow.
I hope it's rectified at the conclusion, but there's this heavy handed strawmanning going on, one that heavily implies only a pathetic coward wouldn't want to live REAL life. That strawmanning is barely tolerable for the NEETs and the characters who simply refuse to move on in their lives, desperately hoping to grasp what they lost, wishing for second chances - but that feels misplaced/forced when it collides with reasoning that isn't childish. Responding to someone who is in that level of permanent, neverending pain with "well wouldn't your family miss you" is the kind of thing they tell you not to do. It's not even a deep question! It's the thing anyone who isn't thinking very hard asks when they first encounter someone who doesn't want to live - what about everyone else? - As if it's selfish of the sick to not wish to continue their agony simply because other people want them to.

That's how I've felt about this so far. It's still intriguing, the art is sick, the concept is neat, but so far the narrative is puddle deep, like an instagram comic about replacing faces with cell phones or how getting likes is comparable to slavery. Would be cool if it ended in a novel way

@Lemongrassv Who could even call those people's reasons for avoiding life shallow? while I don't empathize with them I can certainly understand them, it doesn't seem shallow to me, people have done worse for less.
Alice has never said that the people she meets are in the wrong, and she has only said thing like her "micdrop" to people who question her for trying to leave, asking them a question in turn. The lady who felt like she lived like a leech only said her life's story after Alice had said her two cents, and in my opinion her face could have several emotions on it when she is leaving and it looks more pitying if you ask me.
Also who says that Alice is human? what kind of human can smell her "brother" on a book that was likely miles away? Alice has never been shown to be pure or hopeful, she just has a desire to find her brother and leave the book. Also the pan out of her bed in chapter 5 and 6, I don't think that those images are from inside the book. The people scream about the Beast that is coming and Alice is getting ever closer to leaving the book. You never thought it was odd that a young girl had an immaculate one-piece dress on while the world looks like it is in ruins? Or that she has only shown mild surprise to most of the things that would be downright freaky to any normal person?
Alice is obviously completely broken mentality wise, and she might not even be human to boot.

The Art is really cool, it's so short there's no depth or real reason though. Now not everyone irl actually has true horrible reasons they don't like real life, but we get just her running through this and some hints of story that don't give us enough. Interesting concept but really, needs more length. See how these last chapters plan out.

Users who are viewing this thread