Biryuu Enshoutan - Ch. 16

Dex-chan lover
A couple of bubbles are misaligned, making some of the text hard to read:
  • Page 5: panel 2
  • Page 7: panel 3
  • Page 9: panel 3
Edit: Sorry, I meant to post this in the comment section for chapter 15.

Dex-chan lover
Both shining knight and the General look like good candidates for the sword. One is the berserk and the other would probably do anything for glory and to stand above those that use him.
But the Prince looks like the mastermind kind that would agree to the peace treaty with Ivelle and use both her and Mirio for his own goals.

Dex-chan lover
I honestly kind of like this Prince, he seems like he could be a good ally.

Dex-chan lover
"What do you think is absolutely necessary in order to achieve success?
The answer, Cronin, is to be of low status."
In other words, everyone not of low status (those with mediocre and high statuses) can never achieve success?
giphy.webp

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
In other words, everyone not of low status (those with mediocre and high statuses) can never achieve success?
giphy.webp
I can see why you'd think that with what he's saying, but it's not what he's really getting at. It's summed up in his "a giant can't be a giant-killer" line, obviously a giant can kill giants and technically be a giant-killer, but he wouldn't be sung of as one. The only ones who get called giant-killers are those who are thought of as being "beneath" giants, who it's an impressive feat for. The same is the case with him saying "a soldier killing a large beast is impressive, but a general killing a herd of them is just them doing their job", despite killing a herd being strictly a more impressive feat.

His point isn't that those of high status can never be successful at doing things, but that when they do, it won't be seen as "greatness", but just "what's expected".

In-story, this is probably him explaining his secret level of ability. This guy lets himself be seen as a layabout womanizer who's useless to the point of being called "decorative", but it's probably gonna turn out that he's the trope of a character who lets themselves be underestimated to hide their real power (like a fair chunk of isekai MCs out there).

Which, leading into speculation territory:

Both shining knight and the General look like good candidates for the sword. One is the berserk and the other would probably do anything for glory and to stand above those that use him.
But the Prince looks like the mastermind kind that would agree to the peace treaty with Ivelle and use both her and Mirio for his own goals.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the "mysterious shining knight" and the "decorative general" are the same person. He takes the effort to act like a worthless general, but then keeps a hidden identity so that there can be a "mysterious" force that works for their army, but is still reliable enough that the other officer here knows he can expect him to "randomly" show up, while appearing to be not officially related.

Dex-chan lover
I can see why you'd think that with what he's saying, but it's not what he's really getting at. It's summed up in his "a giant can't be a giant-killer" line, obviously a giant can kill giants and technically be a giant-killer, but he wouldn't be sung of as one. The only ones who get called giant-killers are those who are thought of as being "beneath" giants, who it's an impressive feat for. The same is the case with him saying "a soldier killing a large beast is impressive, but a general killing a herd of them is just them doing their job", despite killing a herd being strictly a more impressive feat.

His point isn't that those of high status can never be successful at doing things, but that when they do, it won't be seen as "greatness", but just "what's expected".
I know what you mean. But then he should have said that differently. Maybe something like, "What do you think is absolutely necessary in order for others to see you as someone who have achieved something great? The answer, Cronin, is to be someone who was first perceived as lacking."

Then again, maybe the problem lies on the wordings used by the translators.

Dex-chan lover
I know what you mean. But then he should have said that differently. Maybe something like, "What do you think is absolutely necessary in order for others to see you as someone who have achieved something great? The answer, Cronin, is to be someone who was first perceived as lacking."

Then again, maybe the problem lies on the wordings used by the translators.
Could be, but also if I'm right in him currently hiding his own ability, rather than a TL thing it could also just be a weirdness of philosophy of his, where he equates success with stand-out fame, and not the raw fruits of one's labor (where he could either be hiding now to reveal it later, or he believes that it stands out more to have an army saved by a mysterious knight than just having an army with a competent general). Who knows without looking at the raws, though.

Dex-chan lover
Could be, but also if I'm right in him currently hiding his own ability, rather than a TL thing it could also just be a weirdness of philosophy of his, where he equates success with stand-out fame, and not the raw fruits of one's labor (where he could either be hiding now to reveal it later, or he believes that it stands out more to have an army saved by a mysterious knight than just having an army with a competent general). Who knows without looking at the raws, though.
Yeah, I also think that's what he's doing. It's just that the wordings he used was... weird. That's why I think that maybe the translator did a mistake. Or maybe the author.

Dex-chan lover
why were soldiers riding elephants... which looked smaller than normal ones or those were some really weird horses.
also magic saturation, can the author stop adding shit to his silly manga. (just last chapter was gags once again)

Dex-chan lover
That's not even a good point. It's an unbelievably bad reading of history. Look through any listing of men called "the Great" and see how many were already some kind of aristocrat or chief. The vast majority of historical figures came from some kind of privileged background because the easiest way to acquire power is to already have some power. Alexander the Great was already the prince of a regional power. Genghis Khan was born into the ruling family of a powerful steppe clan. Oda Nobunaga was the scion of a regionally significant clan. Even more humble men like Napoleon were born into comfortable households descended from minor nobility. There aren't a whole lot of men who were born into dirt and famine, and carved their name into history regardless, throughout the millennia. It's hard to be the best when you're stunted and illiterate. That observation only makes sense if this guy literally just reads fictional epics instead of history.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, I also think that's what he's doing. It's just that the wordings he used was... weird. That's why I think that maybe the translator did a mistake. Or maybe the author.
Agreed. What the prince seems to be saying is that "success", in the public imagination, is measured in relation to one's initial station. While the serf who rises to become a prosperous businessman is lauded as a great success, the king who becomes a petit bourgeois shop owner is considered a failure.

Okay, but as @xXPenisXx said, the vast majority (millions) of serfs die unnoticed, and even the most successful among them are soon forgotten. Bards sing no popular ballads about the heroic deeds of the dirt poor. Meanwhile, every tenth king, prince or general is considered historically great, at least locally. They appear in history books, have monuments erected in their names, and are sung of for generations.

Success requires resources. So it's hard to see how being of low station confers any meaningful advantage. Or any advantage at all, really...

The further this series moves from cute, two-character romance, the dumber it gets.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread