Bitcoin support guide, recent downtimes, upcoming server upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 For B.A.T. support. It's a great alternative for us thirdworlders who wish to contribute but cannot feasibly do so out of their pockets due to monetary circumstances, and since Brave basically gives you B.A.T. for free every month just for using the browser and being part of their ad program, you pretty much don't even have to use your own money.
https://brave.com/ here's their site for anybody interested.

Group Leader
@Holo Just so you know extremely soon crypto will be counted as an asset so that "no taxes" thing might not be true for much longer

Source: the IRS

Hang in there!

Am I one of the odd ones out? Like, I’ve never dealt with bitcoin and don’t plan on doing so unless it takes over as normal currency XD but I’d be totally down to pay $5 to $10 month bc I read so much manga lol but with you guys doing the crypto thing, I can’t support rn :’(

I happen to have some fraction of btc from trying mining some years ago I'd like to send. Just to make sure, the mining site has field "Send to BTC address: ___________". Do I enter the mangadex wallet (1MZ2uJ2YNokSKCDbdocnzoc4sDt58T7RLt) on that field?

Miku best girl
Admin
@Random01 yes.

Regarding Coinbase need a lot of verification - yes, I did notice this. I think over time, we will be able to build an even more detailed guide, perhaps specific to a country on the best way of acquiring crypto.

Note that a lot of verification isn't necessarily a bad thing - it protects you from getting scammed as well, if everyone who uses the platform have to go through it.

Personally I prefer visiting my local Bitcoin ATM, because it doesn't require any verification whatsoever.

Also, thanks to everyone who have donated Bitcoin, the response so far has been good. Let's keep it up!

My only complains with using bitcoin is the transfer through some exchange can be quite pricey (as I don't really do mine anymore so I can't just adjust the fee as I want anymore). I'd suggest to add one more well-known cryptocurrencies like Ethereum or Ripple to make it faster and also cheaper too.

i thought it was my ISP that was giving me the finger when i cant access mangadex as fast as it used to lol.

Have you guys considered adding Braves Support option? It might not be much but I reckon every penny counts

When verifying my identity at making an account, I had VPN active. The site wants my home address, but since it thinks I live in Netherlands because of my VPN, I can't use my Norwegian home address. I tried, but I can't change the country bar. So.. Guess no BitCoins from me?
Won't even let me sign in properly witout verifying my identity. I even got a 24 hour ban for attempting the form too many times..

MD@Home
Unless you live next to an ATM (which are far and few), buying bitcoins (or any crypto money for that matter) is a pain, and often involve giving personal information to people you really shouldn't trust it with.
Let's face it, the people in the business of buying / selling crypto money are either:
1/ Completely down with helping criminal do money laundering (i.e. MD)
2/ Trying to rip off naive people believing crypto money X or Y is ZE shit that needs to be invested in

DON'T GIVE THOSE PEOPLE YOUR SSN AND CREDIT CARD. I mean FFS do you pay your dealer with bank cheques or credit card ? Jesus...

I've stated it before in the topic with the poll about the different payment options: if you want to go the crypto money route, have people donate *processing power* by either:
1/ Adding an (optional) Javascript miner in MD, like TPB did
2/ Creating a mining pool people can join
All the profits going, of course, straight to MD.
Granted, it's not super cost effective, but what really matters is that it's super easy for the users. If every MD user generates a buck or two per month, you'd be well on your way to paying the servers...

I can see people in the comments being confused. There's just far too much unnecessary information in your guide and it's longer than it needs to be, (mis)leading people into thinking this is something complicated, which it honestly isn't. It comes down to these four steps.

1. Register an account on cryto exchange (coinbase/binance/bitfinex)
3. Add a payment method (credit/debit card is the simplest and fastest)
2. Buy bitcoin with your credit card
3. Send your bitcoins to mangadex address.

Done. You don't need to know what a bitcoin is, don't need to read the white paper, don't need to follow the charts and price action, you don't even need to know what a wallet is and how bitcoins are stored. The whole process shouldn't take longer than a few minutes. I think coinbase has mandatory identity verification, but most other exchanges won't ask for it unless you plan to buy, trade and transfer large amounts of crypto. Basically if you just want to buy 20 dollars worth of bitcoin and send it mangadex, you should be able to do it without disclosing any personal information to exchanges.

Dex-chan lover
Deposit made, job done.

Could do with a guide with how to buy and send the bitcoins.

Also @Holo you should plug your referral links in OP. If thousands of people register through them and trade, that alone could generate a very nice passive income for mangadex.

Miku best girl
Admin
@kikunojo

Good point, perhaps we should recommend another exchange that does not require mandatory verification to the extent of coinbase.

Fed-Kun's army
I will wait until you guys iron out the details on what exchange/currency you prefer, but then I am ready to donate. I don't have much but I use mangadex every day.

I support @kikunojo's call for a simplified guide. Maybe just a short step by step at the top and include all the background info at the bottom. I know people should be properly assessing the security risks and knowing what they're getting into and all that, but if all we're doing is buying one currency and immediately transferring it over it's not necessary to understand how the whole system works.

For those who are worried about anonymity/sharing banking info when paying online, I suggest acquiring a visa/mastercard gift card. They charge crazy fees and will drain the card dry if you leave it alone, so just buy the card loaded with however much you want to donate and use it immediately. You can use any address as billing address and it's not attached to your name unless you register it. Buy it with cash at a place you don't normally shop at if you want some proper opsec. This is how I pay for my VPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread