Blocking: The upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contributor
I'm no coward, no blocking, come to me all you butt nugget mmm...~!

Just because I'm so used to the function over at NovelUpdates it'd be nice if we could block certain genre's from showing up in the update feed and in the catalogs. For instance: If there was a tag/genre you don't like, such as netorae (NU uses tags as well, makes things better honestly) or X genre you could set it to where it would never show up.

Dex-chan lover
@ LibertyAlpha or better Yet, adding a vanilla tag.
@Plykiya your hard work is appreciated.

Aggregator gang
now to block entire types of series based on if it is a webtoon or manhwa.

Just a little question: You won't get a message of being blocked by a certain user, will you?
I've seen it implemented this way on different forums and it only created unnecessary drama and furthered tension between users.

rdn

Forum Admin
Staff
Developer
@GerryCerryBerry at the present time, mentions from blocked users still appear for you, but that is to be changed soon.

Group Leader
@Kraeth: Perhaps another box to tick would be the way to do it:

[x] hide all blocked comments from view

@Zephyrus: Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think that this is actually the first warning that kronix has received.

Group Leader
@FredFriendly
I blocked him too, mainly because he was boring (never had a personal quarrel with him)
but to be honest there were worse retards on Batoto.
Do you remember rozzak ?
He really was the mayor of Moronville.
Luckily he seems to be stuck in Vatoto, never seen him around

@VawX You're next boy, no more fucking mmms in mah neighborhood ?

Staff
Admin
@firefish5000

No one said it was hard. It's just not a priority for us.

If people continue to not be dicks in the comments on a grand scale it will continue to not be a priority.

Dex-chan lover
I'm quite surprised that the mods actually have no tools to do their job properly. I knew that there was no real reporting system in place, but there no being a punishment system either is still a surprise. No offense, but relying on the goodwill of the userbase and pushing the introduction of such tools back until shit hits the fan seems unwise and naive.

That some infamous, toxic trolls, one of them having been called out multiple times in this thread already, are allowed to act freely also points to some deficits in moderation. Trusting in everybody being friends and one big community-family sounds nice in principle, but in reality that is no way to run any large community. Blocking helps to keep personal feuds out of the comments and forums, at least as long as the feature is actually being used, but it is a weak and unsuitable bandaid for agitators like the above.

Dex-chan lover
what's with all the guys hatin on kronix? felt like i missed something...

Contributor
@Wolvenworks kronix basically just comments on each chapter of many romance manga, on how much he hates the way the story is going. Or basically he wants all the romance manga to follow the same storyline, and hates any deviation from his "ideal" route. He is pretty much salty and vocal about it. Even I blocked him.

Blocking someone just because he has strong opinions and colorful language seems pretty cowardly, but such is the nature of blocking functions on the internet. One day, we will all have augmented reality and we'll be able to block everything and everyone we don't like. That kid in school that teased me once? Blocked. That girl i was too shy to ask out? Blocked. The kid who didn't want to trade collectibles with me? Definitely blocked. We'll be able to see and talk only to the people we like from the get go, and we'll say: "How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world, that has such people in it!"

Dex-chan lover
@Wolvenworks people get upset with me because I am not afraid to drop truth bombs in comment sections. For example I am not afraid to call out the unrealistic beta self cucking MCs where the MCs do everything in their power to avoid anything to do with girls. However, the people that insert themselves into these stories (as the MC) dont like this because they relate to the cowardly MCs that gets nosebleed by looking at girls or getting hit by girls. Instead of having a meaningful discussion on how this trope could use an improvement they slur out insults calling you "someone who is very much anti beta" a beta because you want the MC to have actual relations instead of being a coward =/?

I could care zero fucks if people block me on this site or not, I already made many friends here and I love it, one you make a comment either people take the bait or simply not reply to it because they know better xD

I only have one person blocked on this site, and it's because of harassment. Someone was so upset with my views on how beta MCs are that they made it their life mission to send me notifications mentioning on every BL / Yaoi newly released chapter. It was pretty fucking annoying but nothing I could do about it.

@art17

b92602b9a06ee87ff6b3fbcd130b7d636c21e9d2_00.gif

@Ayreos its okay to be honest rather not have any interactions with people that insert themselves into the lives of weak MCs

Group Leader
@Wolvenworks: From my perspective, kronix is like a Middle Schooler, nay, an Elementary schooler who has just learned about, and has become obsessed with SEX, and is trying to join in adult conversations, bandying words about without any actual intelligence or experience behind them. It's also as if kronix wants to gain attention by being as vulgar and insulting as possible, thinking that that is the proper path to adulthood. kronix also seems to believe that, regardless of the demographic or genres of a series, every main couple should start having sex within the first couple of chapters (and vulgarly vocalizes said opinions), even if it's the most innocent shoujo series you could imagine.

@Ayreos: Cowardly? Surely you must be joking. I, for one, am quite capable of stringing together the most vulgar, offensive and blasphemous combinations of words imaginable, and do so very often throughout each and every day, but that does not mean I should necessarily spew verbal diarrhea all over the Internet just because I can. Likewise, I'm just not interested in having to be bombarded by comments from an individual whose vast majority of comments are as far from intellectual as you can get, such as:

WHERE AND WHEN AND HOW ARE THEY GONNA START FUCKING HURRY UP
just fuck already plz
how many more chapters until he fucks the girls
this manga is trash when is he gonna start fucking girls
i cant wait for manager to start tapping that pussah fuck the MC he is beta AF
fook it dude bitch better get fucked by random dude now so the MC grows a pair of balls

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@kronix
The problem people have with you is that while you clearly are capable of intelligent conversation, you choose to use language that is obviously designed to get a rise out of other users. Trolling is not explicitly against the rules, but I definitely believe that it breaks the spirit of 5.1, Be Civil. I don't believe in making forums care bear spaces but I believe that basic courtesy between users is what will encourage people to post and let the community grow.

The use of the blocking feature will help alleviate tension between trolls and users but I'd like you to be aware that the instant I see someone insulting another user, I'll be stepping in. While I may not have actual disciplinary tools at my disposal at the moment, there are plenty of ways that I can help correct problematic behavior.

I appreciate that you have strong opinions about certain tropes in manga today. I actually agree with you on several things. I just wish that you'd consider expressing them in a less condescending way.

@Kronix Well, I started reading manga and watching anime like 6 years ago and at this point, I have basically read and watched everything there is to offer. Obviously, there is going to be differences in each story. But the core feeling is the same. Like if you go into a Bezerk chapter you're going to see some A) awesome shit B)some dark and messed up shit or C) both at once. If you go into a Maga-Tsuki chapter you're going to get some cheezy harem fluff drama and some eechi. Why then do I read the Maga-Tsuki manga then? Because it's exactly that. Cheezy vanilla drama and some eechi. I don't need to follow a serious plot or worry about some sick stuff happening like in Bezerk.

And then this is when the variations come in. Like in Trinity Seven or Grand Blue where the MC isn't a "beta" like that poser in Nisekoi. But regardless, the reason why I watch/read these things with pathetic mc's is a stated above. No dark drama like rape, netorae etc. There are plenty of things like that floating around if I wanted them in my story.

And thankfully there are very good plot-driven stories out there. Like Full Metal Alchemist, Code Geass, Steins;Gate, etc. You just need to put in the effort to find them. Pick your poison is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread