Blood on the Tracks - Vol. 17 Ch. 153 - A Quiet Space

Dex-chan lover
hmm, i dont know what to say anymore. this ending seem like quite between good and bad. it's neutral ending. Seiichi lost his chance of having a good life because of his mother, but he seem not to mind it, and move on his life.

this manga is mid, probably one of shuzo's least liked works.

Dex-chan lover
.... this is rather bittersweet. I wouldn't call it a good ending, personally, more of a "good enough". This hits a little bit close. Growing up with someone who has untreated bipolar disorder, or whatever the fuck she had, is no joke. There's a decent chance you'll make it out "okay", but odds are you might miss out on something important early on and... well, never really find it for the rest of your life. And it's like a gruesome wound. It's healed technically, but there's still a gaping chunk that's missing.

It's not a worst case scenario. He seems to be peacefully retired and enjoying his reading, appreciating the serene summer days. Maybe he's not really the type to dwell on what could have been, or has made his peace with it. That's the best part of the ending, he's not trying to off himself anymore. He's... content. More or less. I suppose that'll have to be enough.

Dvv

Dex-chan lover
hmm, i dont know what to say anymore. this ending seem like quite between good and bad. it's neutral ending. Seiichi lost his chance of having a good life because of his mother, but he seem not to mind it, and move on his life.

this manga is mid, probably one of shuzo's least liked works.
I feel the pretty much everything timeskip and after ruined a lot of it.

Dex-chan lover
Can I just say, since he didn't remember his bitch ass mom's face, would've been a great moment to show that he rather would remember his dad's face perfectly. Would've been an excellent way to show tribute and Sei's appreciation to the one parent who did everything to stay by his side and care for him genuinely.

Dvv

Dex-chan lover
Sei grows to live a blissful life, finally at peace with himself. By forgetting his mother's face, her influence hangs on him no longer. She has no power over him. He is free.

Sometimes moving on and focusing on yourself is the best form of revenge.
Being able to forget her face and her not influencing him any longer are two very different things. We are who our upbringing and surroundings turn us into. If not for her influence he would probably living a happy life with a family, instead he is here alone. I wouldn't say the result seems like a happy life, so more as it is a content one. Yes he has moved on but stuff like that stays with you regardless.

Dex-chan lover
What a ride heh.

Really it was such a good read all along.

All this story for a simple, comfy conclusion. I'd even say it is the anti-Shonen no Abyss.

It is also a good litmus test I'd say.
Reading comments here show some of us are disappointed, others are satisfied and some affirm it is neutral.

The realist approach of the end shows us "Yeah that's it. MC went from tormented to peaceful in his life", and this final state of mind tells us what's the end goal of most of us.

I personally wish I'd be like Seishi in my old days, enjoying life in calm ways, contemplating.

It is a powerful ending, it shows to the reader that even if bad times, things happen in our lives, childhood, in the end what will be important is overcome them and not grieve about that.

It is the perfect ending for such a story.

Dex-chan lover
It's an ending.

Not a triumphant victory against evil. Not a hopeless defeat to evil. But a simple coming to terms with one's life, with several aspects left to the reader's imagination. His mother is no longer something he constantly thinks about or can remember with clarity, but we're not given an accurate statement of how long he's switched his mindset to this. Was it soon after his mother's death prior to this timeskip? Did it occur a number of years before the date depicted in this chapter?

Likewise, it can be argued in either direction that the damage to him was already done and is irreparable (he appears to be alone and not particularly thriving) or that he has recovered and is content with the state of his life, with everything being a result of personal decisions of his. But most likely it's probably right in the middle, between being controlled and being in control.

I'm not going to lie, I didn't enjoy this manga...but that's probably the point. To provide an interesting and thought provoking tragic journey that shows the effects even a small handful of characters can have on the trajectory of a life.

Dex-chan lover
I'm satisfied with the ending. Seiichi had his peaceful days. I understand some people are dissatisfied because he didn't get married to Fukishi or have a family. But that's life. In a way, by living alone, Seiichi stops the cycle of abuse

Thanks a lot for translating this series!

Finally it ended, I really liked the story, the ending is so bittersweet, not a 100% good ending but not bad either. Loved the run!

Thanks for the Chapter.

Dex-chan lover
Sei grows to live a blissful life, finally at peace with himself. By forgetting his mother's face, her influence hangs on him no longer. She has no power over him. He is free.

Sometimes moving on and focusing on yourself is the best form of revenge.
Thats not what blissful means

I see the a lot of people think this was a "depressing" or "lifeless" ending but this is honestly the best ending he could have had. Think about it, AS A CHILD, he witnessed the murder of his own cousin by an abusive & manipulative mother, who gaslit him into thinking he commited the murder. That's a massive trauma that's really hard to overcome but this chapter shows that he was able to age normally (all things considered) and overcome the trauma (hell, he barely thinks about his mom at all).

His life could have turned out much worse, he could have become an alcoholic, drug addict, clinically depressed, off'd himself, etc. But, he ended up living to an old age, peacefully and with no real regrets.

Users who are viewing this thread