Bloom Into You - Vol. 7 Ch. 39 - Within the Light

Group Leader
@Oeconomist
We love YagaKimi so we translate YagaKimi. Also the translation effort is a fun pastime for our group. Getting out the chapter quickly for people is one thing, but it's also mostly for us to dissect the original Japanese as we go (YagaKimi is really interesting to translate due to all the nuances and intentional word choices in it). As for picking up other series, we might in the future if we find something we all like but for now, we mostly just focus on doing YagaKimi-related things.

Dex-chan lover
@fuyunokikyou

You're simply begging the question. Much of what I read about sexuality these days does that.

Homosexuals, like heterosexuals, typically have a capacity for romantic love. To compare homosexuals to those who lack that capacity is a categorical error.

The moment she read that text I just started humming “rise” for some reason lol. If season 2 ever comes I hope they play it for this scene.

@Oeconomist
An aromantic person is an individual who does not experience romantic love or attraction, although this does not preclude them from feeling other forms of love or attraction, such as platonic love. Keep in mind, aromanticisim is a spectrum, so people may experience different forms of attraction, but still consider themselves to be aromantic.

a gay person chooses to love a person the same sex as them, and they are fine with that
an aromantic person chooses not to love a person romantically, and they are fine with that.

they're different, but still the same.

@Oeconomist

What the person above said. Furthermore,

There are people who claim that being unable to hear is not a handicap either. Incapacitations are not generally moral failings, and people should not be condemned for them as if they were, but incapacitations are handicaps. And an incapacitation that significantly interferes with reproduction through-out the whole course of an organism's life is extraordinary.

quoting what you said previously, you think the lack of romantic attraction is a handicap because it "significantly interferes with reproduction through-out the whole course of an organism's life", then may I ask for your opinion on homosexuality?

Not to mention, an aromantic person is not necessarily asexual, meaning they can still feel sexual attraction.

I feel guilty for taking up comment space meant for discussion on the story for this kind of discussion so I won't reply any further. If you wish to continue the discussion you can inbox me.

Dex-chan lover
@SomeoneUltimate

Well, you may provoke some outrage by writing “gay person chooses to love a person the same sex”, but that's aside from my point.

To say that an aromantic person may experience love other than the romantic is like saying that a person who cannot see a particular color may still see other colors. Yes, but people who can see that color can also see those other colors, and people who can experience romantic love can also experience other forms of love. We're not talking about trading one capacity for another; we're simply talking about not having some capacity.

A skilled surgeon could excise a bit of brain to get that result. She might go further, to destroy the person's capacity to feel any emotional capacity. And a person lacking any emotional capacity would lack the ability to be unhappy about anything, including to be unhappy about the lack of capacity. Yet we would not say that this contentment were sufficient to license what the surgeon had done.

People should accept present conditions as such, and unchangeable conditions as such. But acceptance doesn't somehow place all such conditions on par each with the others.

Dex-chan lover
@fuyunokikyou

quoting what you said previously, you think the lack of romantic attraction is a handicap because it "significantly interferes with reproduction through-out the whole course of an organism's life",
If there's something about which you should feel guilty, it's in your excising of essential words in a quotation. I wrote
an incapacitation that significantly interferes with reproduction through-out the whole course of an organism's life is extraordinary
An incapacitation with that effect would be extraordinary because any condition with that effect would be extraordinary. And, if you now want to ask whether I regard homosexuality as extraordinary, the answer is yes. It is more rare in the human community than most people realize (surveys show wild over-estimation), and much more rare amongst other creatures than many people have been led to believe. Now, being extraordinary is not necessarily good or bad. The reason that the issue arose was because someone declared that aromanticism were ordinary.

Indeed, an aromantic person might still be sexual. But aromanticism none-the-less interferes with reproductive success in humans. Human offspring have substantial needs for many years. Parents will be reproductive failures if they don't meet some of those needs, and can improve their reproductive success by meeting still more of those needs. In the absence of romantic love, fewer men would remain with their sexual partners, providing resources of one sort or of another, some of which resources directly or indirectly go into meeting the needs of their offspring. The capacity for romantic love in humans is an evolutionary consequence of the dependency of human offspring.

Dex-chan lover
@Gudetamago

Okay, so basically you create your version for reasons largely independent of a desire to post it to some place such as Mangadex. Fair enough.

Contributor
Well, at least the arguements this time around are a lot tamer than on My Wife is a Man.

Dex-chan lover
Low Quality. Low Effort. A good summary of this manga.
I have to disagree with Maki. I'm still not seeing Yuu suffering at all. She's clearly trying to, although not very hard. But just like Sayaka, it doesn't seem like she is capable of love.
And I doubt this manga will ever admit Touko is amazing for everything she accomplishes on a daily basis in spite of her nervousness and background. It is far too obsessed with portraying her as the perfect (for about five seconds) helpless melancholy dark-haired student-council president who has to be saved by the MC cliché

Jax

@Oeconomist

I agree that homosexuality and aromanticism are extraordinary, but it's important to treat it as ordinary. When people treat it as extraordinary then people will find ways to "fix" the extraordinary, like homosexuals and aromanticists. That's how conversion camps were made. It also makes homosexuals or aromanticists feel out of place and they also start to believe they need to "fix" themselves, or hide their sexuality. This could also provide a reason why surveys show a wild over-estimation of homosexuality compared to homosexual occurrences in the past. Homosexuality is more known and accepted today than it was in the past, making others more knowledgeable if they were a homosexual or not. Also, since homosexuality is more open, then it paves a way for others to freely express their sexuality.

Somewhat related, I realized when I was in elementary school that I wasn't quite normal compared to my other peers. I never really had a crush or felt the need to have one. I thought there was something wrong with me, since all my peers seem to have crushes and my parents expectations on me having a partner and having kids of my own. So I hid this part of myself. Current me is still terrified of someone knowing this part of myself. I'm scared that they'll think that I'm some sort of sociopath that can't feel love and try to avoid me. I do feel love, just not the romantic kind. I thought maybe I'll eventually like someone when I get older. I'm now in college and I have never felt any sort of romantic attraction to anyone.

If we base that life's goal is to create off springs, then homosexuality and aromanticism is wrong (this also, unfortunately, encourages those who don't adhere to heteronormativity that there is something wrong with being a homosexual or aromantic). But, the universe never said that humans need to reproduce and create off springs, rather our parent or society tells us it's important to have our own children (in my opinion, we don't really need anymore people on this planet cause there's too many of us, so just adopt).

Dex-chan lover
great chapter but god was hoping it wouldn't end there but of course i knew it would well least next chapter finally get to see them interact with each other again

till next chapter

I thought Akari x Doujima was being hinted at before so I'm glad it's officially a possible thing.

Dex-chan lover
@Jax

What's actually important is to teach that being ordinary is not the same thing as being better. Instead pretending that extraordinary things are ordinary simply compounds a deep an destructive confusion.

Can't help but feel that she's going to get hit by a car.
Won't die, but it will add some drama.

Dex-chan lover
Touko: "Boohoo. I'm sorry I don't love you."
Sayaka: "That's alright. I was convinced I was in love with you for more than a year, but now you rejected me I don't feel particularly sad actually. I'd have to force the tears to my eyes."

Maki: "So are you really depressed over Touko's rejection?"
Yuu: "Depressed? Not really. I do have a bit of heartburn from the school lunch, but other than that I feel great. Want to play some softball?"

Guaranteed next month Touko will fall on her knees as a blubbering mess and Yuu will just come over to her with a smile like a cold fish on her face, say she's happy Touko loves her back and treat her like a child. They'll probably not even kiss.

Users who are viewing this thread