Blue Lock - Vol. 5 Ch. 32 - Urge

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the TL.
You should post first on 4chon and get some QC feedback before posting them here.

Honestly guys I will gladly do QC for these if i can. There's some very basic spelling mistakes here on top of the inconsistent grammar.

This is a very poor quality translation. The speed at which you put out chapters means absolutely nothing if all of the misspellings and grammar issues constantly break immersion; and that's not even going into the issue of characters' tones not matching up with the translation. Even though I adore this manga, I could not enjoy the past two chapters despite how exciting they are because of these errors.

Please put more effort into QC and proofreading, otherwise there is little point in providing a faster alternative. You may as well not read the chapter at all if it's not capable of conveying the mangaka's full intent.

I actually am kind of sad... It's probably to build up tension but dont go "Oh yeah he awakens, bla bla, oh its this and that" and nothing happens until 3 chapters later or smth idk

Thanks for the TL. I for one just want to catch up. Also can you do other mangas? Like Blue Giant for example.

Group Leader
quantity > quality when it comes to translating manga tbh

as long as it's not garbagio, which this is not

Thank you guys for translating this!😘 I don’t know what other people are complaining for, I think you guys are doing a good job and I really appreciate your work.

Thanks for the chapter! I really appreciate your effort in catching up to the raws. If people don't like it, then they can just wait for the other scan group to release. All those people complaining about grammar should just eat my shorts. If you don't like it, don't read it lmao
Complaining about a free product smh

I know you guys have good intentions, but I'll wait for the other translation.

As someone who English isn't the first or second language, this chapter was really unjoyable to read.

But, keep 'em coming. There's a lot of people here in the comments that appreaciate your work, and I also do even though I won't be reading it.

Group Leader
I get the sentiment, but I resent the idea that this team can put chapters out faster because they're only two people, that's complete BS. The reason they put chapters out faster is because they skip readraws and don't QC. Redraws are the most time consuming part of a series like Blue Lock, if MonoScans just put white boxes everywhere, they could match this pace easily.

What is the hurry of getting to the raws anyway? As long as the better quality product comes pretty consistentlyit should be fine. I can get catching up with lower quality scanlation if there aint people actually doing work on a series, but this way you are just taking considerable chunk out of their work, and possibly shooting their interest to the foot in a long run. Then there is just these non-clean versions up, which maybe wont even continue when you guys are up to date, and think the better quality team should pick up there? In worst case both groups will drop this because of these silly shenanigans

This is essentially just crapping on other teams efforts by saying "screw you guys how dare you work tad longer and delivering quality product, we are going to blast through this faster than you could", even if there wouldn't actually be ill intent behind it.

@TheLonelyCabbage
As a translator, I don't understand this sentiment. Even if we wanted to rush to catch up to a series, we take the time to make sure the meaning is clear to everyone. And as I've seen a few people say, the grammar errors have tripped up readers whose first language isn't English. The goal of translation is to bridge communication gaps and make things widely accessible. I can see that they're taking the widely accessible part into account, but it's not really beneficial when the meanings can be obscured by misspellings, grammatical errors, or if the flow of the dialogue is off.
8 months ago, Blue Sterling Scans was ready to churn out two volumes before we decided to collab with Mono, our quality standards were lower, so our redraws were scrapped, but we prided ourselves in our translations, and that pride comes with making sure the English flow is good. I'm speaking as someone who wants to become a translator though, so I guess I just hold translation up high and respect the art that goes behind it. Translating languages is an art form, and you should at least have some pride in your craft, so the lack of QC feels like they're not taking it seriously, like it isn't actually being done out of passion for the manga. Yes, they are frustrated by the speed, but that's simply an inflammatory response, that shouldn't be conflated with passion.
To each their own, though. And what I'm saying here isn't meant to be a debate, I am just writing my side of things. You are free to ignore this, as I don't think there needs to be a side who "wins" when I'm not intending to start a debate.

"Please don't complain about our sniping" is all I am hearing. For a collaborative medium like scanlating, you should have offered to help instead of competing like this. You asked for this kind of response.

The quality on page 5 is just so fucking bad. How could you release something like this and think it looks OK? Very disappointing.

Seriously I was on the verge of dropping because the story is shit, but with this quality of translation I’m definitely done. Bye

Users who are viewing this thread