Blue Lock

@Hawkjp

Other sports manga try to give their main characters more challenges beyond a generic structure and also give them more personality so they can interact w things beyond just soccer. So far the only thing we know about the main is that he loves to play soccer, feels incompetent 90% of the time until he learns a new trick from a teammate, and rinse and repeat. Haikyuu and other sports mangas about soccer like Ao Ashi or other ones at least try to give their MC a personality so they have issues beyond soccer and their matches aren't so predictable (ex: some will be a wash, for them or the other team etc.), but at this point w Blue Lock the only thing that differentiates each match is the character design of the opposing team and Isagi's teammates.

Idgad @Vancious. That is this anime's strength: amazing amazing action and plot. I love Haikyuu, but the challenges here feel more raw atm. I'm sure we'll see more of Isagi's personality once he's outside of Blue Lock. This is about becoming a pro, not high school's best team.

@vancious
Actually for me haikyuu follows this storytelling structure, I mean they lost matches they could(excluding the one against Kamonedai of course) and win after Hinata is blocked a few times and realizes something new or some teammate overcame some burden or realizes an empty space, also the wash matches only happens early in the story.

About the MC issues, it's because this manga is not about a player trying to fit a team, it's about him surpassing the other 299 so there is not a lot of team iteration. And I think that Isagi seems that way because he realizing it(he is incompetent) during the match, and the story drags on as it approaches the end of the match. But when he is off the field he practice, tries to understand the other players and thinks about the next match. Idk what else you can do in that environment.

@ A pair of 2
Thanks for translating this absolute gem. It's one of the best manga I've read for sure.

@vancious
Yeah blue lock is pretty basic.
The fact that the MC here isn’t all that complex of a character doesn’t help. Like you said we barely learn anything else about him beyond stuff what has to do with his desire to play soccer. It’s another instance of a sports manga with a supporting cast that’s more interesting than the MC. Main thing that keeps him from being boring are his antagonistic/edgy moments. However, that runs right back around to his character just being “I like soccer and wanna get better.” It’s a fun manga sure but it’s not really breaking any new ground. Was honestly expecting a lot more when it was hyped up and recommend to me.

I like his personality. Lol, sometimes people can be normal and not some cliche ass interesting personality. Like chill, we'll get to learn more about him once he leaves Blue Lock.

at the end of the day, it's just a manga. I'm enjoying the story regardless how bland or pretentious it is to some people. It really gives offa Haikyuu vibe where you actually like the relationship of the characters with each other than their character development? idk that's my opinion. just hurry and make a anime out of this so i can binge. 😪 i love blue lock.

I've read a couple times here people saying, things on the lines of, "the story consists of the main characters fighting a stronger opponent who they almost lose to and then have to find a new trick to beat."

I think there are several things wrong with their analysis. First it's obviously not true since they lost already to the big 3 without beating them the first time, so every game doesn't end in them winning. Second its the entire point of the story.

They are in Blue Lock fighting strong opponents in order to become better at soccer and unlock their eggos. Its natural find the thing you've been doing this entire time and winning with, not working anymore. They then Improvise, Adapt and Overcome.

The story is a constant fight of Isagi finding that missing piece of the puzzle by analysing his games in and out and finding the thing that will help him get better. It isn't even like its coming out of nowhere. When they faced against Barou we understood that Barous lost in the second round because of his arrogance and his inability to cooperate. When they brought him on to their team we are then trying to find a way for how Isagi is going to be able to beat an evenly matched opponent when they have no team synergy and they do.

I think anyone who criticizes the story for being a story that is just them improvising, adapting, and overcoming every battle don't even make sense. THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT OF BLUE LOCK.

It's entirely fine if you don't think it's your cup of tea, not everyone likes Shonen and this is basically what it is at its core. And there are other issues you can fine, but saying its bad because of what it is doesn't make sense, they just means you don't like stories like this.

I'm honestly starting to believe that some people thinks its cool to criticize things, because it makes you sound smart. The criticism doesn't even have to make sense.

There are some people who have said the main character is boring, I think that's all subjective. You find him boring. I think he's extremely interesting. This undying will of following your passion and his obsession of viewing things by hyper analyzing them. It's very rare to find those things in shonen, they main character is usually very simple and loves food. If you want more backstory it's going to come, we just got the backstory now of one of the first introduced characters.

Again I'm not saying you have to love the story, I think you just have to give it fair criticism. How can you say about a story about becoming your better self in soccer that, "every game is them just getting better by fixing their flaw."

I do agree that everything in here is overly dramatic and extremely fast. How is he able to fix this flaw instantly(even though that was addressed in the story), it's a little far fetched. Its kinda just a shonen thing and is more interesting to watch then them watching replays of their battles and thinking about how to fix it in retrospect. Making the story maybe more entertaining, but for less believable, which takes you right out of the story.

That would be a far better criticism then, "why is that arch are all the same, all they do is get better at soccer and beat their opponent." We know that what they do, that what they said was going to happen from chapter 1.

thanks for listening to my ted talk.

thank you so much for the hard work from the scanlation group! this is amazing. 🥺

Users who are viewing this thread