Blue Period - Vol. 5 Ch. 20 - Our Color Blue

Sem

Dex-chan lover
Ahhh this is so good

Honestly I don't support Yatora and Yuka dating. They've both got a lot of baggage to sort out right now, and getting into any kind of serious romance before clearing those things up often makes for muddy, unhealthy relationships.

Yuka is still figuring out their gender and sexuality, how to live true to themselves, and how to deal with their family.

Yaguchi needs to untie his self worth from how hard he works, and overcome the imposter complex he has.

They both need to confront their artwork and their hangups about it.

I really love these deep bonding moments they're having, but you can share a strong connection with someone without jumping into a romantic relationship. The people that push you forward and inspire you don't need to be your date.

Dex-chan lover
Ryuji has a pretty body.
Also, when nude drawing was first mentioned I immediately thought of this
https://mangadex.org/title/20980/nude-model

Aggregator gang
Ok so in short

Ryuuji aka Yuka, is actually a bisexual man (not trans) who struggles with their sexuality, and because (apparently) of a girl he loved in middle school, he decided to crossdress as a form of self expression and to cope and/or try to fit himself into a box (easier if people think you are a woman if you dont fit the conventional masculine ideal of a man who is also bi). That and his situation with his family (that may or may not have been normal until the crossdressing).

No wonder all came crashing down.

This chapter was great though! I appreciate the author putting effort in making Yatora's dynamics with other characters unique.

Contributor
@Standarduser_
@boldmonkey
@Raknasuu

As some extremely familiar with gender identity issues, at this point in time I would say Yuka def has some but that doesn't mean they are trans, the last couple of chapters have raised some major flags that Yuka def has both sexual and gender identity ones.

Acting more feminine that you are comfortable doing and constantly caring about what others think of you are two massive flags in the trans camp (which Yuka has admitted to both). Trans women often will over exaggerate feminine behaviors and traits, in most cases more than they are actually comfortable with, because they are worried about not being seen as a woman or because they are worried about what others think of them. They feel they need to do it in order to not be outed or to be accepted as female by people they know. So thats why you might see trans women in dresses, heels, with faces full of heavy make up, and feminine colored everything, while doing what most would perceive as exaggerated feminine gestures, because they feel without it they won't be accepted. They call it the "pink cloud" actually. Basically it's trying too hard. So the whole bit about playing a character plays into that.

It would also explain the whole liking the girl thing as well, because Yuka could be torn between wanting to being seen as a girl by both the girl and their friends, but feels if they move on their sexual feelings towards that one girl, that the image would be shattered for both Yuka (mentally) and the people around them. I mean Yuka has said that they would rather die than dress and act like a guy, and that the girls treat them like a fellow girl.

Plus that last line that Yatora said about, "I thought you were just a cross dressing guy, but now it's different", seems like there's more to it than, "just a gay guy that cross dresses to get guys", or "a bi guy that likes feminine things". Characters like this are always difficult because the author might write them as trans (even by accident) but decide not to commit due to worrying about sales and fans freaking out since a trans character can be seen as pandering to some.

Either way think it's too early to make a definitive answer for whether Yuka is trans or not, but I think the author is gonna have to pull the yes or no trigger fairly soon because the back and fourth could really wear thin on the drama.

As for their relationship, I think that the direction they are going in is that Yuka is Yatora's muse. That doesn't mean that they will have anything more than extremely close friendship, but Yuka def inspires and lifts up Yatora.

Group Leader
yesss yes yes yes yes
I'd call it too overt to have them literally "bare all" while having a heart to heart but fuck it, in this manga it just works
this is soooooo goooood

Aggregator gang
@descending_angel87 We need more information. Ryuuji said "i would rather die than dress like a dude again!", but we don't know the exact reason why.

Was it because he sees crossdressing as a form of self expression?? Because he hates his parents??? Because his peers constantly saw him in a "oh ur so cute for a guy!!! What a shame" way?? All the above?????

Honestly, I think this may or may not be brought back later. I think it probably wont, seeing the journey mainly follows Yatora and what he does, therefore if he isnt there we probably wont see it. Next step is art school, so if Yatora gets in, he may be faced with new challenges therefore story wont be touching on this anytime soon.

But im ok with that. We dont need answers for everything.

Dex-chan lover
@descending_angel87

Thanks for the insight. I try to be careful with how I word my stuff since I came across all the gender studies/Foucault thing. But I am still pretty ignorant on the matter and keep asking questions from the conceptuality like: If "sex" and "gender" are different things then, "transexual" and "transgender" should be diferent concepts too.

But maybe I'm missing the human element with an approach like that.

As for their relationship, I think that the direction they are going in is that Yuka is Yatora's muse. That doesn't mean that they will have anything more than extremely close friendship, but Yuka def inspires and lifts up Yatora.

It seems that he has done the same for them in this chapter. But I agree. Now they are on the platonic friendship status.

Adding to that: if Yuka is Yatora's muse, then senpai is his role-model (?)

looks like i was wrong for thinking they'd resolve yuka's gender in this chapter lol

Aggregator gang
Man that was as intimate as it could get. You rarely have a friend you can be this honest with. It takes a lot to reach out to someone, also at the cost of exposing all of your self.

Double-page supporter
Thanks for another update!

Dang this is another good chapter. I've always waited for Yatora and Ryuuji to have a good talk together and their setting is perfect. So glad to be a witness to this

This chapter perfectly helps show what it's like to try help a friend, even if you dont fully know how to do it.
At least to me I think

I always see in manga and more generally in media the main character always knows what to say or how to perfectly solve the situation. Here it's much more realistic and I love their interactions.

Double-page supporter
The atmosphere, the questions, the connection, the dialogue... I loved everything about this chapter.

I love Blue Period so much.

Yuka buying Yatora some rash ointment/cream was so adorable! Looking forward to Yuka's return to art.

Double-page supporter
The autoportrait reminds me of Schiele, and it kinda makes sense since Yaguchi saw himself naked as a pitiful being

Users who are viewing this thread