Blue Period - Vol. 5 Ch. 20 - Our Color Blue

God I will admit, the scene with them both standing with a thin wall between, it was fucking excellent piece of art, the contrast of standing and sitting, straight and bent, with a thin difference between them, its lovely, honestly its lovely this book, this art

Double-page supporter
This chapter is a slap in the face (or it has to) to all those left-wing bigots self-called virtuous that want to label everyone in one of those wacky categories that they have, even in this comment section there is a quest to categorize him. Don't you get the message? I think is pretty clear. Reread the chapter without any shipping thoughts in mind, maybe then you get it. Like Morgan Freeman said regarding racism, stop talking about it. Just shut up.

@Rozzak lmao you're right.

Fed-Kun's army
Loved this chapter. All that vulnerability made them both stronger

@JonRa lol that's the worst advice Morgan Freeman ever gave

Double-page supporter
@LaDeeDah
But Morgan made a good point, though. Very often, the big fuss people make makes the problem worse or a problem out of nothing. In this chapter, for example, the social pressure of Yuka's peer-group forced him to fit into a more feminine "category" in which he was not comfortable. And I'm sure nobody had ill will towards him in the same way that people "fighting" racism have the best intentions.

Condescending attitudes will always hurt more than an offense.

@JonRa
I don't exactly agree here with either of your statements.

With the morgan freeman one, racism isn't caused by people talking about racism, it going to exist whether we discuss it or not. Since its going to exist either way, its important that people talk about it enough that we stay educated and know everyone knows what it looks like and why its wrong. I think thats extremely important even if it ends up with the big fusses you mentioned, after all I'd rather live in an age where people argue on twitter about minor problems than an age where big problems go unchallenged.

For the Yuka's presentation thing, i think its more complicated than how you presented it. Yuka does feel like they* have to fit a mold but its not that their friends are doing that to yuka, more like a self identity problem that yuka has been dealing with internally. In my opinion they could be trans or a crossdresser and there's more than enough evidence to support either side. I don't think its about bigots trying to force yuka into a "wacky category", but people noticing that yuka does a lot of stuff that fits trans people better than crossdressers and interpreting yuka as trans because of that. There are a lot of legitimately trans characters that the authors dont call trans, so those people might just be getting defensive about a character they relate to being smudged into a perspective that doesn't consider them.
If you want I can outline the reasons why I, as a trans person who knows other trans people and crossdressers, consider Yuka to more closely resemble a trans person than a crossdresser. I don't think that's currently relevant though, because I don't have a definitive view of Yuka's identity anyways and im not asking you to see yuka as trans

*im using they because this character has gone from using masculine pronouns to feminine pronouns and i can't tell when they are using which because of the translation so i cant make an accurate opinion on how the character uses pronouns. Especially since this chapter brings into question whether Yuka actually prefers feminine pronouns or they feel like they're supposed to use them, which is a huge can of worms for a lot of reasons

Double-page supporter
@bumblebea
I'm not gonna keep talking about racism because that would be off-topic, I will just say that what it had to be said about it has already been said (we are in Black History Month, right?). The societal norm has changed and is beating a dead horse at this point.

You know what? I'm going to give you the reason. Because you're right, I'm sure Yuka has people in his social circle that should know him better than he does and would guide him to the right path. Today he's saying things like "sometimes I just want to play a character" but what does he know what's best for himself? Much less his parents. He will be trans, and he will like it. I'm def sure you don't have to worry about pronouns because he will finally be calling himself a she, I predict it. We are social creatures reacting to stimuli, after all.

Edit: Wait, I messed up. Yaguchi was the one who said "sometimes I just want to play a character"... but it's the same, Yuka felt related.

Edit 2: Well, we really don't know who says that because of the position of the speech bubble and doesn't have a tail, but that's the beauty of manga as an artistic medium. It doesn't matter who said that because both felt the same way.

Double-page supporter
Thank you for saving Yuka. Thank you. :'(

There is nothing better for a man than to have someone who understand you and talk with you about thing you have been hiding from the outside world.

I love the touch this chapter did with them doing nude painting while having a conversation. They were literally and figuratively baring it all. Such a nice way to show the vulnerability of both characters.

Users who are viewing this thread