Blue Period

@Amazing_Retard because what's the use of arguing with someone you know won't listen? On the other hand, insulting them is quite fun.

If you want an argument, all I'll say is "opinions".

Um, could someone please tell me whether he gets in on his first attempt or not? I really need to know and don't mind the spoiler..

Love this manga. I love manga that, unrealistically or realistically, showcase overwhelming hardship and effort, rewarded in little golden nuggets of the character.

There’s one huge problem with manga based around hobbies such as this; the preconceived shounen story structure and maintaining momentum within that. Stories like Time Paradox Ghostwriter can lose you quickly because it has an identity crisis; it wants to say something, but it doesn’t want to dive deep into character, it wants to give exciting conflict, but it doesn’t want to conform to a tournament format.

Thankfully, this, a story about awareness of artistic expression, manages to break through these bonds. This manga absolutely won’t blow your mind and fuck your mother, but it tackles issues most mangaka are afraid to tackle in the highly conservative Japan. The author has a great awareness about social and economic expectations on children and adults alike, and deftly weaves it into the story and characterization so that it doesn’t feel like he’s preaching to you. As a writer myself, it’s extremely impressive, all the more so in manga format.

Ironically, however, I feel like the line art is a bit bland. This could be just me, but I feel like the author doesn’t lean hard enough into artistic symbolism, detailed expressions, varying panel styles, or anything else along those lines to make the art feel ‘exceptional’. The art is great, no doubt, but it doesn’t stand out and the format isn’t used to its most effective.

With all that being said, I think that this series deserves a 9/10. It’s great and it hits very close to home for me. From following your passion amidst a world that tries to tell you it’s pointless to shame and depression over your sexuality, I feel like there’s something I can really relate to about every character here.

Biggest issue with this is he's literally a god of art that has gone from zero experience/never picked up a pencil to master level in about 6 months. Not only has he learned how to draw, but is a master of composition and perspective. He's mastered pencil, charcoal, oil, and half a dozen other mediums in this time period. He's perfected still life and even drawing people without ever doing a single study on anatomy to the point he is doing self portraits and models AND manipulating them to have unique and artistic expressions with dynamic compositions, multiple mediums used. And the kicker - they keep banging down our throat that he is not a genius, is not skilled and is below average artist using limited toolset to compete with graduates, university students and genius level artists. It's fucking retarded at this point.

@KirbyMorph was it really 6 month? He's a 2nd year when he starts. But I never figured out if that's a beginning or an end of a year.
and even drawing people without ever doing a single study on anatomy
Maybe it just wasn't shown.
Anyway, even if it's unrealistic, drawing that much and that diverse, under good tutors would get a person on a whole different level, especially if talented.

Regarding the latest chapter....
I've read enough shounen to know that the protagonist is going to pass, but couldn't help but feel nervous for the character anyway. I'm so glad he passed!!

Fed-Kun's army
This is by far my favorite manga I've ever read. I have noticed things in culture that me as an engineering student solely focused on math and science had never before.

Really shows the worth of a piece when it completely changed the way I viewed the world. I've started reading literature on art, and art history, viewing museums and even practicing in a sketchbook. Most recently I went to see one of my favorite pieces, Dancers, Pink and Green, and felt things emotions I never expected art to produce.

I relate to the character as a person but not from the environment and struggles he undergoes. I can't stress how much I love this work and if you're on the fence checking comments right now; I would urge you to give it a read since it would be worth your time.

Contributor
@dudewithmagic

From one engineering student to another: so happy for you fam. When you spend all your time don’t math and designing cad it’s good to get out and experience some art.

Aggregator gang
@KirbyMorph

"has gone from zero experience/never picked up a pencil to master level in about 6 months."

volume 1, chapter 2 / page 49:

"time remaining until exam: 650 days"

@KirbyMorph, ain’t it more like 21 months? Lol, and not a below average btw, he’s saying he’s just average, which I would still disagree with.

@billydju, we’re only at volume 6, we probably have yet to meet him.

very cool video of an Alfort ad featuring this manga with the song 'Ultramarine' by YOASOBI.

We get to see some of the manga's paintings in color, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vELh3Q6BBx4

damn this so good, make my heart and my mind hungry for making an art (the pile of my works quickly diminished)

Honestly, I pretty skeptical about this manga because how can you make art interesting but then I JUST COULDNT STOP.

Users who are viewing this thread