Bocchi Hakase to Robot Shoujo no Zetsubou Teki Utopia - Vol. 2 Ch. 33 - Lonely Professor and Partings

Dex-chan lover
Y'all said this would be the chapter with crying, I'm just confused.

Double-page supporter
He was indeed still alive during this chapter, as not only did he lift boxes, but he also cried about the move. However, what isn't clear is if he actually went on the boat, or that was just a hologram, with him staying behind (on page 22 of the chapter, page number 166, we see him suddenly start shaking, and a couple of pages later, he's still in the same position, so it's possible that he died midway, or the connection is starting to cut out due to the distance causing the hologram to get stuck) - however, since we don't have concrete evidence of about whether the robot girl answers to what the professor is saying whenever she talks to him , or just attempts to guess what the professor is trying to say (throughout the story we hardly ever have any speech bubbles for the professor, though I suspect he does, since it seems she is hitting the mark more often than not), so it's also possible that the professor is indeed just nervous about it. Personally I feel like the professor is indeed on the boat.

The likelihood that the professor survives long enough for them to reach the states (and then the survivor settlement) is actually a lot better than her being the only one reaching (and might thus end up getting medical treatment, that while it might not save him, could extend his life). Though even more likely is that the boat sinks midway as it doesn't seem like one meant for such a voyage. Then again, who's to say there aren't other boats they might switch to on the way.

Supporter
Yeah i'm far more confused than anything else about this chapter ?????

What happened? Who is this random new character? Why did a plague knock down the Statue of Liberty, plagues can't do that! What the fuck is wrong with you author, THIS is your ending? Wheres the REST OF IT?!

Dex-chan lover
@CalamityCallout maybe the statue got the plague?

There's also no way that boat would have enough gas to make it over the Pacific.

I need realism in my slice of life Mangas staring near-future android girls with general artificial intelligence!

Dex-chan lover
Here's a different thought: the professor's story is in the distant past, and the US Robo is just taking in all the info from the memory chip of JP Robo. Or US Robo is JP Robo with a different look
Who knows!

Double-page supporter
@PlanOfInaction According to Google it should be possible
Can yachts cross the Pacific and Atlantic oceans?
Both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans can be crossed in a yacht. You can cross the Pacific and Atlantic oceans in a sailing yacht or a motor yacht. You need a big enough tank to hold 1,5 the amount of fuel you expect to burn.

This being said, not all yachts are capable of making these trips. If you decide to cross either of these oceans, you’ll want to make sure you have an ocean-faring yacht as well as the equipment and skills needed to make the trip. Some yachts will not hold enough gas to complete the trip and will typically be shipped on freighters designed for this.

Dex-chan lover
That ending... is it really the ending? I feel like they owe me my tears back from the end of the first volume. I was hoping he'd die, and the story would sort of kick off of that into YKK territory.

@Fortis99

The Statue of Liberty was made and gifted to the US by the French. I don't think there is anything racist or troublesome about it. I'm guessing it fell from lack of maintenance, but I don't know if the timeline is enough for that to happen. Salt water is highly corrosive after all.

Dex-chan lover
Oh wow. We speculated given all the oddities of the professor, but what an end and series. Thanks for the translation!

Dex-chan lover
@CalamityCallout

Internally, the downing of the New Colossus doesn't make much sense. But, ever since the original Planet of the Apes, showing that statue in a state of disrepair has been a recurring visual metaphor for the collapse of America. Simply put, it's an artistic cliché.

Double-page supporter
Maybe an accident took it down. A sick pilot hit it with his place for example.

Im pretty sure the end girl is robo remembering the prof, this whole story is just her remembering her past. And the holo prof comes from her refusal on remembering what goes on after that memory, which is most probabbly the profs death

Diff hair color prob comes from her changing her hair spare parts.

Dex-chan lover
There we have it, the end to a fantastic series. The ending was a bit confusing, but to me it was full of hope. Thanks for translating this series!

Shit, so he did die before. This was, all in all, quite a bitter-sweet ending (though a bit more bitter than sweet). I enjoyed it a lot, even if it feels like it just got axed.

Users who are viewing this thread