Boku no Kanojo ga Kyonyuu Dattara. Oppai Anthology Comic - Vol. 1 Ch. 6

Dex-chan lover
"I made the scanlation bad on purpose so you understand how bad it is" is some 400 IQ shit

Dex-chan lover
I wish translators realized they shouldn't use mate or innit or other British (or murican/australian/etc.) slang when translating. Sure, it's makes sense that all translators are bad when they first start out... But considering common sense being, yknow, common, it feels like they shouldn't be bad in this manner?

Though it takes some kind of prize when they think it makes any sense to have the girls in a hentai use it. That's, like, on another whole level of awful translation.

Dex-chan lover
I wish translators realized they shouldn't use mate or innit or other British (or murican/australian/etc.) slang when translating. Sure, it's makes sense that all translators are bad when they first start out... But considering common sense being, yknow, common, it feels like they shouldn't be bad in this manner?
The comments themselves from this translator don't use this faux-Londoner dialect, but a number of his translations do. He has previously offered ostensible justification (across multiple series) for a variety of poor practices.

Part of the problem is that he really doesn't understand English in general nor the Londoner dialect in particular as well as he believes, and will engage in intellectual contortions rather than admit an error, and then dig-in his heels and keep repeating that error.

But, to some extent, he seems also to be trolling.

Supporter
If I had a nickel for each time I read a series in which a girl secretly wore negligee to school...I'd have two nickels.

Power Uploader
"I made the scanlation bad on purpose so you understand how bad it is" is some 400 IQ shit
Well, if the original is bad, on which opinions differ, then to translate it, it should be made just as bad now shouldn't it?
But I don't think it's bad. The entire point of this title and really the only thing that makes it memorable is that Yukina talks in very slangy, masculine speech, which of course befits the character and the character's identity as clearly being a tomboy having grown up among mostly male friends and having copied their speech.

Though it takes some kind of prize when they think it makes any sense to have the girls in a hentai use it. That's, like, on another whole level of awful translation.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Translations from Japanese should always use British English for the simple reason that Japan and the U.K., due to both being industrialized iland nations, are noted to be culturally highly similar and that is reflected in the language.

Like Japanese, British English of all dialects has a more distinct difference between social classes, regional varieties, and gendered and aged speech than other varieties of English which can be used to better translate such indicators in Japanese lines.

Most of you simply read as what you are: You fell in love with highly localized, sterilized adapted translations to your culture that make no effort to capture the tone of the original so you don't even realize what's going on. At the end of the day, the moment you open this title in Japanese it's obvious from the first two sentences that Yukina uses highly slangy, masculine speech as a conscious choice. And such things aren't unusual in Japanese works either but often get discarded in translations. Gokuu also speaks in a rural country accent and his entire speech purposefully comes across as uneducated and childlike but almost all translations make him speak in normal, textbook English.

The comments themselves from this translator don't use this faux-Londoner dialect, but a number of his translations do. He has previously offered ostensible justification (across multiple series) for a variety of poor practices.

Part of the problem is that he really doesn't understand English in general nor the Londoner dialect in particular as well as he believes, and will engage in intellectual contortions rather than admit an error, and then dig-in his heels and keep repeating that error.

But, to some extent, he seems also to be trolling.
Because your argument comes down to nothing more than “this is not pristine grammar”, and after my repeatingly pointing out that they aren't using pristine grammar in the source either and that I use pristine grammar to match pristine grammar you continue to ignore that.

What you want, what all of you want, is a localization, not a translation, which you won't get from me. You simply fell in love with a lie and have no idea what actual Japanese fiction sounds like and how much it embraces slang.

Last edited:
Don't know what's going on here. Came to comments for shit and giggles but found that people actually despise the translation??? I mean it was weird seeing  mate after like 50 % of the sentences but other then that it was... good? I mean accent and different way of speaking are the things that exist and it's always hard to replicate them in different language so i appreciate the effort.

Dex-chan lover
Because your argument comes down to nothing more than “this is not pristine grammar”,
No, and I've been very clear about that. You have claimed that your translation is into Londoner dialect, but it isn't. And, in transcribing dialogue, you've made punctuation errors that simply cannot be spoken. (Attempting to defend those punctuation errors, you made modality claims that you couldn't back-up.)
What you want, what all of you want, is a localization, not a translation, which you won't get from me.
Utter nonsense. Your repeated pronouncements about why you use what you claim to be a Londoner dialect are arguments for localization; plainly none of the Japanese characters would speak in that dialect.

What most people want is for you to stop throwing “mate” and “innit” into the translation. I'd settle for your just punctuating correctly and not bullshitting in the comments.

Last edited:
Power Uploader
No, and I've been very clear about that. You have claimed that your translation is into Londoner dialect, but it isn't. And, in transcribing dialogue, you've made punctuation errors that simply cannot be spoken.
Just as the original lines do not follow proper Japanese punctuation rules either but informal punctuation rules.

Utter nonsense. Your repeated pronouncements about why you use what you claim to be a Londoner dialect are arguments for localization; plainly none of the Japanese characters would speak in that dialect.
They don't speak English obviously. They speak Japanese. I obviously translate the Tokyo dialect to the London dialect because both are the capital.

What most people want is for you to stop throwing “mate” and “innit” into the translation. I'd settle for your just punctuating correctly and not bullshitting in the comments.
Japanese has words for that. And I translate them accordingly.

Do you also feel Is shouldn't be translating the Japanese word for “chair” to the English word for “chair”? There happens to be a word in Japanese that very neatly translates to “innit”, down to:

-it conveys almost the exact same tone and meaning
-it is literally a contraction of “isn't it”, which is literally a contraction of “is it not” in Japanese
-it is strongly associated with the Tokyo region
-it is very informal and won't show up in formal writing
-it is mostly associated with younger speakers

It translates well to “innit”. What you hate, is finding out that Japanese is not a soulless, sterile language with no registers nor slang, but actually has slang, informal and formal styles of punctuation, inform spelling even and speech patterns associated with certain regions. “innit” is a completely accurate translation of “-zyan”. Every time “-zyan” is encounter in Japanese, it immediately comes across as a relatively young person speaking informally who probably lives in or near to Tokyo. They famously use “-yan” instead for something similar in the Kansai region for instance.

Dex-chan lover
Just as the original lines do not follow proper Japanese punctuation rules either but informal punctuation rules.
And, since spoken dialogue cannot have punctuation errors, a translation should no more attempt to replicate these than capitalization errors, nor to use an obvious spelling error to motivate a translation of the wrong word.
I obviously translate the Tokyo dialect to the London dialect because both are the capital.
In which case you are attempting to localize. Your claim not to do so was yet another ad hoc bit of bullshit.
Japanese has words for that. And I translate them accordingly.
No, you pseudo-localize them into a faux-Londoner dialect, when you could translate the Japanese into some authentic English dialect, and preferably into one that didn't flog the readers.
There happens to be a word in Japanese that very neatly translates to “innit”, down to:

-it conveys almost the exact same tone and meaning
-it is literally a contraction of “isn't it”, which is literally a contraction of “is it not” in Japanese
-it is strongly associated with the Tokyo region
-it is very informal and won't show up in formal writing
-it is mostly associated with younger speakers

It translates well to “innit”.
Given your ad hoc bullshit claim about “mate” being a modal particle, no one should buy your claims to have mastered either English or Japanese sufficiently to make such pronouncements with credibility.
What you hate, is finding out that Japanese is not a soulless, sterile language with no registers nor slang
No one here imagines Japanese to be simply a rigidly formal language. No one. Instead, some of us find your attempts at the English language to be incompetent and otherwise annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread