Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu - Vol. 4 Ch. 49

Okay so how bad are these translations? I want to read them but I'd rather wait if its just a rushed job to piss people off.

@Darudius it's not a rush job, it's very readable, makes sense, and the scanlator actually takes proper criticism over mistranslations and fixes them (or tries to) if it's valid criticism.

Dex-chan lover
Auuugh
A lot of manga on here are having remote intimate moments, either through video calls or pretending to be in the same room or Yamada petting his head by proxy
And it's makin me SAD but also really giving my maidenly heart a run for its money

Dex-chan lover
@Darudius

Okay so how bad are these translations?

I don't have the raws for comparison, so I can't really confirm the accuracy, but I feel like this chapter's translation is a bit lower quality than the previous ones by (presumably) the same people -- and yes, I know they point out it's a LQ release.

For example, the caption on the first page says "Handsome man appeared at Ichikawa's appartment [sic]!", but based on the Japanese text, I think it should be more like "A mysterious pretty-boy (ikemen) appears in Ichikawa's room ... !!".

That said, the main points are still understandable, so I'm getting a quick BokuYaba fix in while waiting for Boredom to catch up.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not disparaging this group's work. A pure machine translation is almost always going to suck, but these chapters are pretty coherent, so someone must have put in a good deal of effort editing them.

@_idiot
I don't have the raws for comparison
By all means please do have a look at the script:
Some kanji might be banged up mind you, you can find raws for ch49 here:

The draft is edited MTL that was then reviewed by rune-readers (hopefully) on /a/.
The issue caption phrase you mentioned below is indeed one of the inaccuracies from the edited MTL, which is now fixed in the chapter.

Do let me know if you find any other issues with it and thanks for feedback.

Dex-chan lover
The book isn't lewd but that doesn't mean he hasn't read it for lewd.

Dex-chan lover
@labanina After looking at the raws (with my limited understanding of Japanese), there are a few things I noticed, some of them pretty nitpicky.

The first -- extremely nitpicky -- one is on page 3, the imaginary manga guy doesn't actually say "Ichi"; i.e., "Imaginary Ichi Kyoutaro ..." should just be:
Imaginary Kyoutaro/Kyoutarou ...

The second one doesn't really detract from what's happening, but it's kind of a cute moment.
On page 7, Ichikawa is a bit flustered when he's explaining about the bag. He says something like:
To keep dust off of it [the muffler], I put it in a vinyl bag

Ah, by vinyl bag, I don't mean a trash bag ...

It's one that can be sealed properly

As for his following thought bubble, I think he might just be mocking himself for upselling a Ziploc bag as "vinyl" or for describing a Ziploc bag in such a weird way. In which case, maybe it can be something like:
I'm describing a Ziploc bag like some weirdo ...

On page 8, when Ichikawa opens his window blinds, his thought bubble does say "Scary ...", but I'm not sure he means that the outside world is scary. My interpretation was that Yamada's order/command was kind of creepy (like it might be something that'd happen in a horror movie). I'm not confident on this one.

On page 11, the little footnote text for the end of the chapter should be more along the lines of:
The closer you get to Yamada, the further you get from restful sleep ... !!

As a side note, I didn't realize until a second read-through that the phrase Ichikawa wanted to get a recording of (on page 8) was probably of Yamada saying "lewd/ecchi", lol.

@_idiot

#1 Removing 一 does indeed result in just "Imaginary Kyotaro"

#2 Makes sense about the bag

#3 Well I can see how dark nighttime countryside outdoors can be scary to a Tokyo metropolis dweller like Ichi, It also can be interpreted like "It's getting scarier" (the demands are escalating), but I'd rather leave it simple as it is since it's a very short phrase

#4 Agreed

Chapter updated, thanks a lot for your feedback!

Dex-chan lover
@labanina Oh, by the way, I took a look at the 0bin you linked, and I can see where the "Ichi" in "Imaginary Ichi Kyotaro" came from now.

In the 0bin, the last character in "イマジナリ一" uses the kanji for "one" ("一"), but based on the raws, it's actually supposed to be the long sound symbol ("ー"). I had to look it up, and apparently it's called a Chōonpu.

From the 0bin:
イマジナリ一

From the raws:
イマジナリー

As you can see, it's really hard to tell the difference between the two when the Chōonpu is written horizontally.

@_idiot
md6czc.png

@labanina
.......カーテン... ブラインド閲けて
Open your blinders

I replicated above the ..... .... used, which I noticed you ommit often, probably because the 0bin doesn't take into consideration, but Norio sensei uses A LOT in Bokuyaba to provide a lot of context to the script, so I would recommend checking the raw & keeping them. Here they are important because they mean a pause when Yamada says the equivalent of"Open your curtains...blinders" which means she remembered what is used in 1kawa's room & is being bold by being so accurate.

The Kowa/Scary reaction from 1kawa here is that she knows for a fact that he has blinders because of Karte 39's events, but due to 1kawa's fever amnesia he doesn't know or remember that Yamada was there. So in this case it is creepy/scary/weird that Yamada would be so accurate, when in 1kawa's mind, Yamada doesn't know his room.

@kazekaeru shit, I forgot that they're still in Tokyo and that this is 4D chess game of a romcom. I could've probably left it as plain "Scary" as it originally was. Thanks mate, that makes sense.

Fed-Kun's army
Diabetes
[dʌɪəˈbiːtiːz]
NOUN
a disease in which the body’s ability to produce or respond to the hormone insulin is impaired, resulting in abnormal metabolism of carbohydrates and elevated levels of glucose in the blood.
CAUSES
High sugar diets
This shit right here
Genetic predisposition

Users who are viewing this thread