Boku no Ma na Musume - Ch. 9 - Sami-chan and the Demon (2)

Dex-chan lover
I agree with this tbh. Having a kid should definitely be planned out carefully beforehand.
Speaking from deeply personal experience (over 16 years of it), I disagree. There are obviously ways one can plan for children that are prudent, but the every day stuff is not whatever your expectations are. All children are different, and so will you be once the child is yours. Quite literally, too; having children causes permanent changes to brain chemistry.
I think many people massively overthink childrearing. It's really very easy to do, even in extremely adverse circumstances. Delaying and planning is rather silly to me, honestly, beyond health and safety considerations. Plus, I strongly suspect at least part of that sentiment comes from a place of selfishness, or even resentment, which ironically often disappears once you've been raising your child for a while. Children are a blessing, and I don't think it gets said enough without caveats or irony.

Aggregator gang
Speaking from deeply personal experience (over 16 years of it), I disagree. There are obviously ways one can plan for children that are prudent, but the every day stuff is not whatever your expectations are. All children are different, and so will you be once the child is yours. Quite literally, too; having children causes permanent changes to brain chemistry.
I think many people massively overthink childrearing. It's really very easy to do, even in extremely adverse circumstances. Delaying and planning is rather silly to me, honestly, beyond health and safety considerations. Plus, I strongly suspect at least part of that sentiment comes from a place of selfishness, or even resentment, which ironically often disappears once you've been raising your child for a while. Children are a blessing, and I don't think it gets said enough without caveats or irony.
Maybe in human standards. But this comic makes us think the girl's mom is some kind of important demon, important enough not to let her see her kid at all. At this point, don't even make a child if you know you can't be there for it.

Dex-chan lover
Maybe in human standards. But this comic makes us think the girl's mom is some kind of important demon, important enough not to let her see her kid at all. At this point, don't even make a child if you know you can't be there for it.
Oh, I agree! This specific premise leaves many unanswered questions, and certainly highlights how single-parenthood is suboptimal, to say it lightly. I only took issue with what was quoted. Antinatalism is a bit of a trigger for me.

Dex-chan lover
I agree, children are a form of blessing and they can be wildly different from what any parents' can imagine. I also believe that not every parents have the leeway to optimally take care of their kids, due to other commitments necessary for survival such as work etc. Maturing is also realizing how to properly project one's future and the limits of said projection. Though not having any sort of projection can be a problem.

It's not like kids are always inconsistent, they will all need sustenance and care, both physically and mentally. What I mean by "planning" and preparing is to have the ability to foresee whether one is capable for such a taskand fulfill such needs. Because not every parents' live the same life. Some work harder to get by than others, which means less time to provide care and attention for their kids, while some have this and that. Having the ability to workaround unfavourable situations is a must for any parents. While trial and error is always expected, because again every child is different, ideally, a parent should not gamble when it comes down to basic necessities needed for healthy child growth.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I agree, children are a form of blessing and they can be wildly different from what any parents' can imagine. I also believe that not every parents have the leeway to optimally take care of their kids, due to other commitments necessary for survival such as work etc. Maturing is also realizing how to properly project one's future and the limits of said projection. Though not having any sort of projection can be a problem.

It's not like kids are always inconsistent, they will all need sustenance and care, both physically and mentally. What I mean by "planning" and preparing is to have the ability to foresee whether one is capable for such a taskand fulfill such needs. Because not every parents' live the same life. Some work harder to get by than others, which means less time to provide care and attention for their kids, while some have this and that. Having the ability to workaround unfavourable situations is a must for any parents. While trial and error is always expected, because again every child is different, ideally, a parent should not gamble when it comes down to basic necessities needed for healthy child growth.
On the one hand, I have a somewhat dogmatic view on this and think that "good enough" parenting is almost as basic as keeping yourself fed and clean; but on the other I largely agree with your sentiment and concern. Mileage may vary, and kids are not going to make your life easier, but then ease is not a measure of quality of life and mileage is generally enough. Honestly, with a bit of experience, you would be amazed by how little one actually needs to raise a child competently. In fact, having seen friends and family with generation Alpha, I'd say less is often more effective. The smartest toddler I know has never used an iPad and the most ill-behaved knows how to stream to his smart TV...

At this point I'm rambling and shaking my fist at clouds. I think we probably largely agree on things that matter, I just have a bone to pick with people who are far more competent than your average parent tearing their hair out in turmoil over something we are literally made for.

Anyway, cute manga, right?!

Dex-chan lover
On the one hand, I have a somewhat dogmatic view on this and think that "good enough" parenting is almost as basic as keeping yourself fed and clean; but on the other I largely agree with your sentiment and concern. Mileage may vary, and kids are not going to make your life easier, but then ease is not a measure of quality of life and mileage is generally enough. Honestly, with a bit of experience, you would be amazed by how little one actually needs to raise a child competently. In fact, having seen friends and family with generation Alpha, I'd say less is often more effective. The smartest toddler I know has never used an iPad and the most ill-behaved knows how to stream to his smart TV...

At this point I'm rambling and shaking my fist at clouds. I think we probably largely agree on things that matter, I just have a bone to pick with people who are far more competent than your average parent tearing their hair out in turmoil over something we are literally made for.

Anyway, cute manga, right?!
Very cute. Gave me diabetes from first chap.

Dex-chan lover
yep, sometimes it's okay to just let it all out. bottling up your feeling all the time is not healthy.

that said, the demon mom deserves at least a slap from the dad for this

Dex-chan lover
Could be a myriad of reasons. Mana deficiency in the world mom could not survive, taking care of her own parents, dad forced back to his original world they are trying to find a way to unify the family.

Users who are viewing this thread