Boku no Tsuma wa Hattatsu Shougai - Vol. 1 Ch. 4 - Employment

Group Leader
Not sure if it's different in other states, but there is a form stating that you do have some sort of disability among what's listed if you sign it ... voluntarily. That means that even if you do have a disability, you're not obligated to sign that form, but if you think it will interfere with your job, it's recommended that you notify your employer about it.
as a physically disabled person in the US, the smart thing to do is not tell them up front that you need an accommodation. you mask as if you're a perfectly normal drone, get the job, THEN ask for the accommodation. in the hiring period, they can reject you off rip and say 'you're just not a good fit for the position', but they can't retaliate against you for asking for accommdations or they get fined and you get a payout.

more than once, i've had to hide that i'm a cripple so i can have the job before i ask for a chair while i scan groceries and they're required by law to provide it because it's reasonable/non-intrusive/doesn't affect the work, then the manager gets pissy that i'm gasp sitting down like it's a federal crime. she fired me for it but she was stupid and said outright that it was because of my accommodation so i got a payout from legal action equivalent to three months rent.

Dex-chan lover
as a physically disabled person in the US, the smart thing to do is not tell them up front that you need an accommodation. you mask as if you're a perfectly normal drone, get the job, THEN ask for the accommodation. in the hiring period, they can reject you off rip and say 'you're just not a good fit for the position', but they can't retaliate against you for asking for accommdations or they get fined and you get a payout.

more than once, i've had to hide that i'm a cripple so i can have the job before i ask for a chair while i scan groceries and they're required by law to provide it because it's reasonable/non-intrusive/doesn't affect the work, then the manager gets pissy that i'm gasp sitting down like it's a federal crime. she fired me for it but she was stupid and said outright that it was because of my accommodation so i got a payout from legal action equivalent to three months rent.
Huh, I didn't think about that. I know from personal experience that I might take longer to learn the ropes of a job, but with my disability being more mental than physical, along with its lack of severity, I didn't think I need accommodations, but felt it was only fair I bring it up up front out of honesty.

If the employer doesn't know enough of what my disability is and yet somewhat knows about me having one, I guess I can see how they're hesitant to think I'd be fit for the job from the get-go. Considering how crazy politics have gotten these days, I guess it wouldn't be farfetched to hold off on that detail until later, which might seem dishonest, but not as bad as them not hiring you for an ablist reason, even if they don't mention it.

Users who are viewing this thread