Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki-kun

What a relief. I spent like 30 mins previously trying to figure out the disconnect and then just grudgingly accepted that they skipped the rest of the outting. Thought the author was getting lazy plugging for a LN.

I'm going to say this. I've read up until chapter 5 and up until now it's just been fucking stupid. Basically this manga is a story about a superficial guy that meets a superficial girl with absolutely unrealistic achievements that belittles and insults him because of her delusions, and when they confront she pulls up some "I was like you but I worked hard" bullshit, so the guy at that point says "wow, I really would like to learn how to become popular and live my life acting just like you" and just begins to follow her lead to become like her. I'm dropping this. If somebody that knows if the story gets actually good could tell me, they would do me a favor.

@Arumir Well, you haven't even finished the first volume. Go read the LN and decide it for yourself, I can only say your opinion might change after reading the LN until volume 3 because all of those things before are a setup for this volume. Also, there's a ton of spoilers in this comment section (which I posted), wikipedia page, and Tomozaki fanpage wiki, so if you have a short attention span, you can check that out or ask for spoilers on reddit/discord.

@araquetty81 Well, he's very aware that he's a low-tier character and tries to improve himself, I don't really see a problem with that.

@Ageha_Yoru I just read what you wrote, but I still think I'm not going to continue this, both because the climax is way too far away and because Hinami's achievements are plain stupid and exaggerated. I mean, I get that the author wanted to portrait a "top-tier character", but how can I take seriously a character that got first place in national mock exam, took part in national track events and is also the second best player nationwide of a game? I don't know if the author wanted to portray a realistic character, but if he wanted to, he failed miserably. Or is she going to reveal that it's all fake?

@Arumir:

Hinami is talented at game even before she plays Atafami, she's just so naturally good and I think it's not a stretch to say there's a person like that. Even Tomozaki admits that Hinami is scary in the way her growth is much faster than his own pace. As for a truly top-tier gamer, if I remember correctly. Hinami herself is not confident to take her skill to pro-level as told in Volume 8. This is her flaw, her moves in real life is too calculated and she most likely considered the factor that reaching the level of pro-player is not only difficult, but she would have to sacrifice her future plan like studying, track club, and social activities (in fact Hinami plans to go to Tokyo Uni and become a banker or something like that). Her goal is to defeat "Tomozaki" in the game and I wouldn't be surprised if she retires after she achieved that. However, Tomozaki, unlike Hinami, wants to live his life to the fullest and go after what he really wants. He declared that he wants to go Pro after being defeated by a real pro-player.

This is the difference between Tomozaki and Hinami, and that's the point of the first three volumes which act as the prologue of the series. Tomozaki's goal in life is to make Hinami understands the joy of playing the game of life. Tomozaki thinks what's important is not just being an overachiever like Hinami, but doing what he truly wants in life. So when Hinami gives her a quest that against his principle, he refused to do that.

Also, if you get irked by Hinami every single time, man... you're missing so much. What makes the series truly shines is not just Tomozaki and Hinami, but also the other characters like Kikuchi, Mimimi, Tama-chan, Izumi, Mizusawa, Nakamura and others. Like how Tomozaki slowly patched his friendship with Nakamura, how he helped Izumi to get close to Nakamura, how Mimimi respects Tomozaki and Tama-chan, also Mizusawa is pretty cool guy. He's inspired by Tomozaki and confessed to Hinami, even though he knew he would be turned down, he still did it because that's what he wants. Kikuchi is also moved by Tomozaki because she sees him as someone who's able to change and express himself in genuine way.

The point of the series is do what you want in life, while also improving your skill. Make yourself a positive energy for people around you, nothing will change if you just wait and wait, afraid of failure, and not making action.

If you still don't like it, maybe you can go on and read other series instead of accusing the author of bad writing when in fact, what you felt about certain characters is truly intended by the author.

This manga is bad. Just go and read another one? I personally regretted reading even 1 chapter. Every dialogue in this manga is utter bullshit. Well except for Life is a shitty game.

Volume 5 official translation is out.
https://yenpress.com/9781975386443/bottom-tier-character-tomozaki-vol-5-light-novel/

8/10 Honestly many people are saying that its not good but if your a guy who doesnt talk much to girls etc or go to an all boys school then must read ofc only if you want to interact with girls because for people in those 2 categories females who are not present in family are basically aliens so its a must read if you want to interact with girls the plot has a base its not solid but it does and this is one of the mangas that you can gain by read it.Its just not for entertainment but for knowledge

@Trirst
Haha yeah, right, I don't need to imagine
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2020-09-11/bottom-tier-character-tomozaki-fan-is-inspired-to-get-buff/.163845

"The story of Bottom-tier Character Tomozaki (Jaku-chara Tomozaki-kun) is about a skilled gamer who is inspired to make some radical improvements to his social life by applying some of the lessons he has learned through gaming. The novels have even inspired its fans to change their own lives. "

Just because something is considered entertainment doesn't mean it exists solely to entertain. We learn many things through stories, regardless of the type of media, be it a talk, a textbook, a manga or a movie. As someone who is struggling to change and improve certain parts of myself, I find this manga inspiring. The dialogues have depth, the characters are flawed but likable, a solid read overall.

Fed-Kun's army
Really disappointed to see everyone's comments..

I haven't read this but since its got romance and got an anime adaptation...
I was hoping to see people rave about it.
But someone said its the Welcome to the NHK but without self awareness.

Yikes

I just wanted some watchable romance anime next year... sigh

@calmbreez
First: He's trolling
Second: Why would you let mangadex comments dictate your personal experience, even before you begin reading it yourself?

Fed-Kun's army
@Ageha_Yoru

Oh I'ma check it out don't you worry. It just irritates me.
There's so many amazing romance works that deserve that adaptation more.
But oh well. It is what it is. Chucked it in the back of mind and moving on.

@calmbreez
I've read the LN and I can assure you, among many romcoms out there, the author's approach feels more natural and realistic. The first three volumes (LN) set up Tomozaki's resolve, basically the turning point of the series happens in the third volume. Then the fourth and fifth volume show us his growth, and how it affects people around him, it's about him being accepted in the class. And then the sixth and seventh volume will delve more into his personal feelings and his love life. The manga probably need two or three more years to reach that point.

Dex-chan lover
when Medaka and Zenkichi tried to go to a romcom series xD

now I remember why Medaka was unbearable in the starting chapters of Medaka Box, with her "if I'm perfect everyone can be perfect" attitude

welp Imma cheer for Kikuchi, kinda refreshing to read a manga where the main girl is the one I hate the most and almost all of the "side girls" are way better

Users who are viewing this thread