Boy's Abyss - Ch. 173 - The Flame of a Righteous Life

Dex-chan lover
can't help it but i kinda despise our protag for not committing to one person and one person only. but if what we're getting is his stepping stone towards salvation (i.e. get reasons to life) I'd say let's fucking go bro
What salvation? He wanted to kill people while probably making the one woman who loved him pregnant with his baby and after that planning on going to double suicide with another girl, he's a freaking asshole at this point, he's starting to be the same as his mother, spreading abyss to everyone around. Maybe it's in the blood.

Dex-chan lover
He's starting to be the same as his mother, spreading abyss to everyone around. Maybe it's in the blood.
He's done that since the beginning, everyone kept telling him "You're just like your mom", "You're an abyss" but he didn't really understand it until it became a coping mechanism and a way of getting revenge, like when he finally snapped and told his monster of a gma to fucking die already or accepted Yuri's declaration of live.

Like his mother, he doesn't consider the future implications of his actions, he acts on his feelings in the moment, whether it's fear of being alone or anger. He's a long way from the kid he used to be, the kid who unintentionally allowed a domino effect of misery to spread and continue because of his ignorance, he knows exactly what he's doing, he is everything his mother wished she could be.

Yuri doesn't love him, she's obsessed with the image of him in her mind, and Nagi too for that matter.
I have a feeling after the next chapter, she's going to not be able to delude herself anymore.

Mao deserves death, the problem is Reiji should be focused on helping Nagi get better, killing Mao will solve nothing except give himself temporary satisfaction... and then get sent to prison and hanged, leaving Nagi alone and at the hands of another monster.

Damn they actually just shoehorned a boring back story to create a boring villain to pad this shit out with a crappy revenge arc? I loved this trainwreck because it felt like it was trying to be good, now it just feels like padding and its lost any effort.

Dex-chan lover
He's done that since the beginning, everyone kept telling him "You're just like your mom", "You're an abyss" but he didn't really understand it until it became a coping mechanism and a way of getting revenge, like when he finally snapped and told his monster of a gma to fucking die already or accepted Yuri's declaration of live.

Like his mother, he doesn't consider the future implications of his actions, he acts on his feelings in the moment, whether it's fear of being alone or anger. He's a long way from the kid he used to be, the kid who unintentionally allowed a domino effect of misery to spread and continue because of his ignorance, he knows exactly what he's doing, he is everything his mother wished she could be.

Yuri doesn't love him, she's obsessed with the image of him in her mind, and Nagi too for that matter.
I have a feeling after the next chapter, she's going to not be able to delude herself anymore.

Mao deserves death, the problem is Reiji should be focused on helping Nagi get better, killing Mao will solve nothing except give himself temporary satisfaction... and then get sent to prison and hanged, leaving Nagi alone and at the hands of another monster.
Nagi can't get better anymore, all thanks to Yuri's jealousy finally breaking her to her state of perpetual apology. She only wants peace at last, a peace only death would give to her.

To be fair, i didn't get the meaning behind Reiji's offer to take her to the sea until i remembered thanks to a tweet from a japanese reader about the metaphor for the fishtanks (trapped) and the meaning of Mao's name (Real Fish) and how he is a fish who can swim freely without worries. In that context, the sea means just one sinple thing:

Freedom

Reiji just wants Nagi to be free from the "curse". Even if that means getting rid of the person that fucked her life.

In this case, the only shit we can expect in these final 19 or 9 chapters left is for Yuri realizing she fucked up things to the point of no return... but considering her superiority complex and her own twisted pride as a savior, maybe she has to be the one who must kick the bucket to give Nagi and Reiji a reason to live other than wait for the other and unalive themselves. Abyss resumes the serualization the next week, Ryou posted 2 preview pics a week ago, and from the look of things, the teacher is finally seeing, with anguished and scared eyes the awakened Reiji is totally different from the listless puppet she obsessed over, as he is actually the spitting image of his mom.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Hmm, I see tens of chapters ahead.
Tough luck. The author said about the series in her twitter due to the kuroses birthday that it's almost over.

That almost over can mean either 8-9 or 18-19 chapters left if this ends either on vol. 18 or 19.

Now you'll know why it's getting too many breaks: it's catching up with the volume releases (vol. 17, which should cover up 'till chapter 171 is gonna be out on june) so the (not so) weekly serialization can end on time to promote the final volume and reveal its final cover and contents.

Users who are viewing this thread