Boy's Abyss - Ch. 174 - Accomplice

Dex-chan lover
Wow, it's just like a duck with leek coming to the kitchen to meet the chef.

Dex-chan lover
It's going to turn out the uncle was an alright guy and the niece just went crazy from losing her parents. They will accidentally kill the uncle anyways. Shenanigans ensue
Fm1CIcZaYAMv96e.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Gotta be honest, Ryou is rushing this. Mao returning the call through Esemori's phone and Yumiko's death are literal conveniences to wrap up ASAP. But somehow both make sense, storywise. It's only the execution that exposes the speedrun.

Something you have to notice... with Yuri imposing herself as a partner in crime and use Nagi's phone to keep in touch with him without asking Reiji first if he was okay with that, she shot herself in both feet. She still is treating him like a child to her own convenience, however, she doesn't know Reiji has a talent to backstab and betray people (as shown when he baited his mom into doing double suicide and then pull a solo suicide in front of her very eyes) when they stop being useful or are getting in his way. In that sense, he is the spitting image of his mom: she used Uryu to her own convenience, and when she realized at the last minute he was getting in her way to Akira, she stained her hands by killing him. Reiji may have found a way to kill 2 birds with just a stone and not have to stain his own hands unlike his mom.

Considering there were quite several coincidences, maybe Reiji doesn't have to go to Tokyo, because Mao has to go to the town to do some recognition of Esemori's estate for the inheritance and funeral paperworks and arrangements. In that case, Reiji can tell him where Nagi exactly is and then set the trap for both Mao and Yuri. The teacher kills the uncle, but Reiji, with the evidence of Yuri having Nagi's phone and the incoming and outcoming calls record, can sell Ishibashi a convincing story about having a hint about Nagi's whereabouts, and told her only alive relative about that to go and rescue Nagi, but he also "disappeared after reaching the exact location" for the only sake of throwing Yuri under the bus.

The question here is who will betray who first: will Reiji get his way first, or will Yuri's jealousy make her kill Nagi??

Dex-chan lover
The Mao thing makes sense, Reiji has known about Mao for months, just not the details of what he did or his name, so it's not that unbelievable.
Not sure why Ryo threw in Reiji's Gma dying right now, could have happened anytime.
I hope this chapter is a setup chapter for the finale, and the ending won't be rushed.

Dex-chan lover
I don't think the increasing fast pace is that surprising.

Long gone are the days when several volumes were having reprints, when this had a presence in the genre, to the point of selling 1 million copies in 2 years, just to then go and sell only half of that in the next 2 years.

Sure, the series is not in a doomsday situation, but with dwindling interest with each volume that comes out, you can see that it's pretty much running out of steam.

Manga is ending this year after all.

Dex-chan lover
Ryou is really speedrunning the ending, huh.

The manga got less interesting when Yuko got sidelined, change my mind.

Yuko is and will be best worst girl of this story.

Fed-Kun's army
I’m ngl, stepping aside from the story rq. This mangaka’s art style is incredible like wow it’s so fresh

Dex-chan lover
I don't think the increasing fast pace is that surprising.

Long gone are the days when several volumes were having reprints, when this had a presence in the genre, to the point of selling 1 million copies in 2 years, just to then go and sell only half of that in the next 2 years.

Sure, the series is not in a doomsday situation, but with dwindling interest with each volume that comes out, you can see that it's pretty much running out of steam.

Manga is ending this year after all.
Abyss survived 2 axe attempts (around vol. 7 and around vol. 13) because it's popular on digital in Japan and was the top 1 manga in the YJ app amongst a certain demographics (25-30yo women), despite of the low physical sales.

It may be surprising, but abyss final year is being sustained by overseas popularity, especially on tiktok. People just found out about this manga this late.

Dex-chan lover
Abyss survived 2 axe attempts (around vol. 7 and around vol. 13) because it's popular on digital in Japan and was the top 1 manga in the YJ app amongst a certain demographics (25-30yo women), despite of the low physical sales.

It may be surprising, but abyss final year is being sustained by overseas popularity, especially on tiktok. People just found out about this manga this late.
The issue with the overseas presence, IMO, is that the official English version was released way too late in the game. It should have happened back when it reached the 1 million mark in 2022.

Not only that, Viz sucks hard in both the speed of releases and in providing advertisement for some of their series, including this one. No wonder it fell to TikTokers to give it the advertisement it deserves, although I can imagine it was a by-product of their current interest in dark topics, particularly in manga. (Seriously, I've even seen people boosting Oyasumi Punpun as if it were still in publication)

Still, the series has been running for over 150 chapters now. Not many drama-focused manga last this long in the current manga environment without having solid legs, which is a feat on its own.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Wowzers, very convenient. The prey came willingly.
Now that i think, consider the possibility of him being actually regretful.

That said, it would redirect Reiji's rage towards Yuri and Yuko instead. He made an annoyed gesture because she hasn't died yet.

Users who are viewing this thread