Boy's Abyss - Ch. 183 - They Were the Boys and Girls of That Town

Dex-chan lover
I already expected something anticlimactic but this is ridiculous…the only payoff we’re given is finally seeing the mother crack (and maybe going to jail offscreen)

Everything else was left in the air with the same uncommitted vibe this series always had. At least I’m glad Chako survived.

Basically, I came in expecting a car crash and all I got was congested traffic with no finish line.

This manga was so good at some point it became erratic, i don't undertood what the author wanted to do. I'm guessing she was tired and could not manage to explore more the depths of each character properly. I enjoyed but that final was weak.

Holy shit. It ended… it really ended. I can’t believe it. It sucks! But also, it doesn’t?
It’s honestly the best ending one could hope for, especially for such a heavy manga with depression and suicide as main themes. Best as in, the characters got a happy ending not best as in well written.
I agree with a lot of people here saying that the last 100, or, I would say, last 60 chapters were useless. When you compare the ending to the writing of the earlier chapters you can’t help but feel it was rushed and just thrown there to end it. My guess is that the author got tired of her own artwork. It happens, but I wish we could have had a great well-written ending. The ending should have spanned for 5-6 chapters. Having intrigue and new narratives and arcs come in at the last minute diminished the impact of the ending.
It’s… lackluster. It’s not a bad ending but it is disappointing in its method. Quite cliche to have Chako say the ending and say stuff that alludes to how other characters survived. It would have been better to see it. I don’t mind the timeskip, it makes sense, I mind that we got such an ass way of conclusion.
All in all, I guess the pedo sensei kidnapped Mao, would have liked for her to stab him but oh well… It’s quite clear by how she looked and how she said she has a new spare room :))) fitting. Yuko going to jail took be aback. How the fuck is she still surviving, that slithering snake. Truly remarkable. Gen is gen as always. Would have really loved to actually see Reiji and Nagi working on the mountain. That would have tied in perfectly. Oh well…
Can’t say it was bad but the ending ruined the complexities of the beginning. When you have a good intriguing story and you get really bad towards the end … you kinda lose it. A waste but not that much of a waste.
Thank you for the translations!!!!!

Aggregator gang
yuko's ending was looking good till this chapter wtf was that man, looks like his assistant or someone completed the last chapter

So that's it, huh? Nagi and Reiji are dead? If that's the case, then this must be the most ridiculous ending I've ever read

Dex-chan lover
One of the very few manga I follow from the very first chapter release until completion. At one point I thought it could final Punpun in terms of depression, but I'm glad(?) that it's not

Wai did i miss something? Should i read it again?? Somehow this doesn't feel like an end to me...

Dex-chan lover
I guess writing an ending to something like this isn't easy? I enjoyed the ride and build up of the story, but the pay off was meh.

I look forward to reading whatever the author puts out next.

Dex-chan lover
Congrats on finishing it! -it’s been a fun ride. Kind of an underwhelming last chapter but in all, I like it a fair bit more than fuckin hatsukoi zombie.

edit- rereading the last few pages; I guess that must be Rei in the car? Chako waved him off depending on Gen’s reaction, there.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Well, sadly, as many of us expected, the ending was quite... weak.

Over 50+ chapters weren't needed for the plot and the author introduced unnecesary characters like Nagi's uncle and Akira's lookalike relative.

If anyone cares (before the epilogue we are supposed to get in the tankobon), my opinion about the ending:

-Yuko was and still is the main star of the manga. She wasn't even killed at the end and is going to jail for unknown reasons.
-About Yuko, she clearly realized (at last) that Reiji needs to get out of town, so that's why she insults him, so he can leave. It was an OOC move, IMO, as it was pulled off right at the end.
-About Esemori, I'm sure he lied to Yuko about being that boy who she banged in the hospital (ages don't match, for example), to let her believe Reiji is their child. I can't fathom the sadness he must have felt inside realizing "this woman banged a relative of mine who looked like me and believes I was him".
-Chako, quite underdeveloped at the end. She went MIA.
-Gen was ok.
-Sensei's gonna keep the uncle in the basement? Who knows.
-Reiji and Nagi seems to be living with Shinooka, which is weird.
-No news about neetbro makes me sad. He deserves a happy ending.

While I want an anime adaptation, I think it's for the best if it doesn't get one. I don't want to be disappointed again, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread