Boy's Abyss - Vol. 14 Ch. 131 - Nothing

Dex-chan lover
Yuko really out here abusing her son's empathy and compassion to gaslight him into feeling terrible bout his lack of painful memories and sharing in her misery, which in turn created his painful memories and trauma. She really was the devil that devious bitch, I'm gonna miss her.

Also, first chapter knowing Gen won't return and it feels great.

Dex-chan lover
what does he mean "I suck"?
is it like "I'm trash" or something?
what was the original Japanese?

Dex-chan lover
I still legitimately expect Yuko to suddenly climb out of the river or wash up somewhere further downstream and someone finds her and takes her either to the hospital or police station to heal or bring her back home, be it right after she gets out of the river, or after enough time for Reiji to finally move on/cope/sort through his emotions lol

I'm in favor of the second, cause nothing would drag him even further down the Abyss than to find out his mom had been alive the entire time, and give her more ammo to gaslight him into more guilt and pain for not putting any actual effort in trying to search along the river for her or her body.

That being said, it's really interesting, cause if Yuko really is dead now, then that means one of, if not the main, source of the story's conflict is now gone. Which can only mean that the series might even be ending soon since all that's left is to tie up some loose ends and subplots before finishing the rest of the main story, cause without Gen and Yuko, the remaining characters with arcs or conflicts are Reiji, Aoi, Chako, Yuri-sensei, and Kazumasa. At least in terms of main and important secondary characters in relation to Reiji himself.

Granted, that's still enough plot and arcs to keep the series running long enough that the end can still be considered a long ways off, but Yuko and Gen are literally the oldest and closest sources for Reiji. Resolving their stories/characters before resolving the others just feels like a legitimately backwards order of operations, and kinda like Minenami took the term/phrase "trope/genre subversion" and "flipping a genre/trope on its head" literally lmfao

Dex-chan lover
what does he mean "I suck"?
is it like "I'm trash" or something?
what was the original Japanese?
He means "but even now that mom is dead, I still feel nothing. I suck."

Like, "I'm a shitty person for still feeling nothing after her death. No happiness that she's gone after all she's done and caused to me and others. No sadness for the woman who raised me and "protected" me, albeit in an incredibly misdirected way. She was my mother, yet I still feel nothing from her death, in either direction on the emotional spectrum. God damn, I suck, huh?"

Dex-chan lover
He means "but even now that mom is dead, I still feel nothing. I suck."

Like, "I'm a shitty person for still feeling nothing after her death. No happiness that she's gone after all she's done and caused to me and others. No sadness for the woman who raised me and "protected" me, albeit in an incredibly misdirected way. She was my mother, yet I still feel nothing from her death, in either direction on the emotional spectrum. God damn, I suck, huh?"
because my impression with phrase "I suck" is more like "I'm bad at something",
would prefer if it was just "I'm shit" or so

Fed-Kun's army
because my impression with phrase "I suck" is more like "I'm bad at something",
would prefer if it was just "I'm shit" or so
Both those things mean the same thing. Even the way you interpret ''I suck'' as meaning you're bad at something could be applied here i.e I'm a bad person because I don't have any strong emotions about this situation.

Dex-chan lover
Both those things mean the same thing. Even the way you interpret ''I suck'' as meaning you're bad at something could be applied here i.e I'm a bad person because I don't have any strong emotions about this situation.
I understand the context, but I'm still conflicted between interpreting this "I suck" phrase as
  • I am bad at feeling something / I am incapable of feeling, or just
  • I am trash / I hate myself
that's why I'm curious what was the Japanese word used here
was it 下手だ or くそだ or other word?
not an American here, so that phrase does not hit me well

Dex-chan lover
I'm now anxious how the author is gonna pull off a satisfying ending. Well, he did pretty good with his last manga Himegoto so I have faith in him.

I'm down for a bittersweet ending.

Dex-chan lover
Ok. If this gonna get dragged on more for like 10 or more chapters, im dropping it. It's been one hell of a hot garbage dumpster fire ride, but i don't want to read another Rent a Girlfriend case where literally nothing happens after a spicy and interesting beginning, fuck that.

Dex-chan lover
Awesome chapter IMO. I love how it depicts this chain of abuse where each abused person abuses their kid in turn so that they’ll feel less alone (essentially). Reiji looks like he might be the end of the abuse because instead of feeling the pain he just feels nothing? Obviously he’s traumatized but I wonder how he’d parent if he parented, he seems inclined towards helping people regardless. He seems like he hates himself for not FEELING enough? but he DOES empathetic things.

also I’m liking this direction where the mom is actually dead (and therefore not the Big Bad who needs to be Righteously Killed per se) but the real villain of the story is if course trauma and abuse and how to process those without killing yourself

i think this is a good and interesting direction and i’m getting more excited about this manga in recent chapters. I think there’s theoretically plenty of “struggle” to show as these characters try to stay alive from this point on, so I continue to hope that this manga isn’t wrapping up any time soon. I wonder when we’ll next see Gen tho.

Users who are viewing this thread