Yofukashi no Uta - Vol. 20 Ch. 200 - Final Night: And Then

Dex-chan lover
Everyone out here wanting a happy ending like life isn't full of anything but that. be real with yourselves this is one of the better ways it could have ended, and im very happy with the result. Also I swear like half the mfs reading this won't be satisfied til one or both of them dies or they fuck. One of my all time favorite manga for sure.

Supporter
Eh, that's a non ending. Enjoyable chapter but shit excuse for an ending.
This author is unable to resolve his god damned storylines. "Why are you half vampire still?" "UHH DUNNO" "Dont you think it relates to the answer to our problem?" "HAHA DUNNO" And twice he's ended his work in time skips, which just shows what a limited writer he is.

I GUESS this was less shit than I expected, but just because he didn't have the balls to see it through and gave Kou some initiative, which he lacked in the last chapter. And Nazuna saying out loud he's the man she loves basically ended everything on a fan positive note...

that being said, this isn't an ending.
That's life, too.

Dex-chan lover
I guess it's.... a kind of happy ending? They'll keep up their relationship of tag basically it sounds like forever until he gets to the point he can't chase her around the globe anymore, but it's bitter that they can never really do anything more than that. The dumb author even hinted that it is strange that the guy can still transform into a half vampire after three years, why not make that something more relevant to their situation possibly being different?

Instead here we go again with another multiple year time skip basically resulting in a "Hey, I'm back." just like the author's last manga Dagashi Kashi. Probably safe to skip this author from now on if you want a proper relationship ending.
This make the ending new and different for me

Dex-chan lover
So in the end we never get to know how he got the half-vampire power or why half-vampire power made him stronger than real vampire… Kinda sucks since i think it really killed this manga for me.

This absolutely did hit me in the feels, I'm glad that they're able to be together in some way, and I got kinda teary eyed when I saw that Ko has adopted Mahiru's old hairstyle. High schooler Ko's design is pretty great.

But if I'm being completely honest, this is not a fantastic way to end it. Unless Ko's half-vampire status also brings a significantly longer life, this essentially confirms that even if they stay together Nazuna is basically doomed to watch Ko age and die as she has to fight her urges. We know essentially nothing about Ko's half-vampire status, Nazuna's status as a born vampire might as well not matter whatsoever since it seems to have absolutely no effect on the vampire rules, and we have no idea how their future goes at all.

It doesn't help that, at least based on what we saw, Nazuna was absolutely planning to just disappear and not see Ko for a very long time. She is NOT that coldhearted, and I absolutely believe that her love for him is too strong for her to knowingly hurt him like that. And as much as I appreciate two mature characters acting in a mature away, would it really have hurt to have their reunion be at least A LITTLE more heartfelt and dramatic? Yeah this dude just tracked his vampire lover to the Antarctic(?) after three years of not seeing her because she ran off despite the fact that it hurt her too, but we're not gonna react beyond "WTF are you doing here"???

I mean come on. No hug, no kissing, no Nazuna admitting that she really wanted to see him, not even any confirmation that Nazuna is gonna stop jerking him around and actually be with him now that he's proven he'll go to any lengths to be with her. BARELY EVEN ANY BLUSHING.

Honestly unless the author comes out with some sort of additional epilogue I'm just gonna headcanon that they properly get together from here on, Ko's half-vampire status dramatically slows his aging once he gets to his prime to the point where he can live for hundreds of years, Nazuna's status as a pure vampire born from a vampire and a human lets her suck Ko's blood without repercussions, and they lived happily ever after.

DUDE TRACKED A VAMPIRE WHO DOESN'T USE TECHNOLOGY TO A REMOTE HOUSE IN THE ANTARCTIC, TRAINED HIMSELF TO KEEP HER URGES IN CHECK, AND DIDN'T EVEN BLAME HER FOR JUST LEAVING WITHOUT A WORD! GIVE THAT MAN HIS GODDAMN KISSES.

Not even any real confirmation that the whole "Vampire sucking the blood of a human they love kills them" things, much less that it applies to Nazuna. This could've been A LOT better.

EDIT: Okay to be fair, the "till death do us part" line pretty clearly implies that they're gonna be together. But it's still unnecessarily vague and the situation overall lacks real impact.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It would be better if that last conversation never shown.
Just end it with an old man resemble Kou appear in a distance and Nazuna's eyes start to tear.
That kinda silent last page will way more impactful, at least for me.

I really loved this manga, especially the detective's arc.
But I don't know why these human x supernatural pairings never seem to get a satisfying ending, like the author doesn't know how to conclude the story. Simillar thing happened with Noragami ending this month, now this, I wonder how Hanako-kun will end. It's not sad but not happy either which is a bummer cause these are my favourite ships haha

Dex-chan lover
Not a satisfactory ending as I'd hope it would be, but a good ending nonetheless.
Would love to get mini chapters here and there on the world tho

Dex-chan lover
I'm just gonna pretend that his Half Vampire thing also makes him immortal so that he won't die and leave her alone. That's the only way they get a permanent happy ending even without him becoming a full vampire.

Well with the dialogue and all it hits different but still lukewarm ending. It is not bittersweet kind of ending but not happy or sad ending. It is just an ending that's it. Not a masterpiece but a finished piece at least. The format for the ending still the same like dagashi kashi with the different of MC meeting back with Fmc after time skip. Maybe kotoyama will keep on reusing the same format but just upping the scale if he ever write another manga after this one. In dagashi kashi they meet back at the shop, in this one in another country, maybe the next one in another planet, plane of existence or dimension. This kind of manga will be his signature: A coming of age story about a teenage boy meeting mysterious but appealing girl and along the road the boy will understand an emotion he never understood before and after discovering it the boy must part ways with the girl due to some circumstances. After a few years they will meet back. The End.

I will give this manga 3.5/5 or 4/5 but 4 is stretching it a little bit. 3.75/5 seems appropriate.

Thank you to all of the translators for translating this manga for all this years.

Double-page supporter
I'm just gonna pretend that his Half Vampire thing also makes him immortal so that he won't die and leave her alone. That's the only way they get a permanent happy ending even without him becoming a full vampire.

He’s ageing, so he will die. As it says in the final chapter, “till death do us part”.

It’s a typical “happy for now” ending which I think is fine. Personally, “Happily ever after” endings annoy me.

Double-page supporter
A much more happier ending than I thought would be, but also not as satisfying as it could be.
I do think the author kinda left the audience (us) hanging by not having Nazuna bite Kou, and the audience finding out if they'd die or not. I mean, a year passed and they both seem fine.
Maybe that was the idea? Like Naz and Kou both weren't ever willing enough to take that chance to see. But they (or Kou in this case) can't live to be apart forever either. It's a very weirdly half-satisfying half-bittersweet half-disappointing situation, and I think that  they (Naz and Kou) know that, and we the audience feel that, and that's the feeling the author wanted to leave us with.

It's quite an interesting way to end your series, but at least it ended better than Dagashi Kashi. This manga was absolute vibes too. I will miss it.

Dex-chan lover
I liked it. Not everything needs to be resolved. It's a pretty common theme in Japanese storytelling where they really like ambiguity. I feel like in a lot of Japanese writing, the writer isn't just trying to leave the reader with a feeling a pleasure and happiness which I think was done well here. I mean heck, Inception was suppose to be like that until some person deep dove and figured out the real ending years later.

Dex-chan lover
This ending didn't really give me the closure I wanted. But meh.

Dex-chan lover
Also I swear like half the mfs reading this won't be satisfied til one or both of them dies or they fuck.
There's something to be said about how a segment of the people that disliked the ending to Dagashi Kashi (inoffensive as it is) also tout an ero-doujin as the "true ending".

the story get a closure in 199 and enough set up for the future with kou joining the detective. this chapter feel redundant and more like a sequel bait than anything.

Dex-chan lover
I'm fine with it. The journey was enjoyable and the ending was "we're not looking for answers, we're looking for each other".

Users who are viewing this thread