Yofukashi no Uta - Vol. 20 Ch. 200 - Final Night: And Then

Dex-chan lover
This absolutely did hit me in the feels, I'm glad that they're able to be together in some way, and I got kinda teary eyed when I saw that Ko has adopted Mahiru's old hairstyle.
Oh, damn, you're right. Shoot...

Er, this is less than tangential but, I'm like 70% sure that both Dagashi Kashi's Hajime Owari and this manga's Kyouko Mejiro are-- on some level-- author self-inserts. I figure, since the former is the protagonist of a Dagashi Kashi gaiden one-shot where her peculiar past as a mangaka is detailed, and the latter has been seen wearing drawing gloves despite manifestly not being an artist.

But if I'm being completely honest, this is not a fantastic way to end it. Unless Ko's half-vampire status also brings a significantly longer life, this essentially confirms that even if they stay together Nazuna is basically doomed to watch Ko age and die as she has to fight her urges. We know essentially nothing about Ko's half-vampire status, Nazuna's status as a born vampire might as well not matter whatsoever since it seems to have absolutely no effect on the vampire rules, and we have no idea how their future goes at all.
Me, I don't think I need to see snapshots of their lives to the end of them. I read a historical fiction that did something like that, and I found it labored (putting aside that it took very strange artistic liberties with history in order to set the stage for a completely fictitious romance between the protagonist and another major character).

I mean come on. No hug, no kissing, no Nazuna admitting that she really wanted to see him, not even any confirmation that Nazuna is gonna stop jerking him around and actually be with him now that he's proven he'll go to any lengths to be with her. BARELY EVEN ANY BLUSHING.
Putting aside her obvious tsundere act, Kou had to put her in a submission hold as soon as she registered that he had grown because she was going to try to suck him. This, despite the fact that his candidacy has long since expired and she probably shouldn't still be inclined to try to suck his blood.

She says it was "vampire instinct", but I think she was just really happy to see him.

I also liked the way that their reunion deflated the melancholy from the chapter up to that point. It reminded me of chapter 60, where Kou and Nazuna individually manage to make dramatic and cool deductions about Kabura's relationship with Nazuna that are completely off the mark.

Not even any real confirmation that the whole "Vampire sucking the blood of a human they love kills them" things, much less that it applies to Nazuna.
The only way to confirm that is if she actually tries. She's not going to try out of her own volition, because she doesn't want to chance killing Kou. The fact that a vampire actually came to love their subject would prevent them from doing so, unless they were as convinced as Kiku that they'd be the one dying AND themselves welcomed death.

It's as if, by design, it's borderline impossible for the question to be answered.

Double-page supporter
Huh, so I wonder how many extras or side stories we’ll get? This feels….anticlimactic. I was expecting something more, seems like a rushed ending. I mean cool….i guess?

Dex-chan lover
This is like your quarterback throwing a pick to seal the game in the playoffs.

the story get a closure in 199 and enough set up for the future with kou joining the detective. this chapter feel redundant and more like a sequel bait than anything.
I disagree.
The chapter 199 doesn't end the story but show a path to a new possible incredible story (I mean wouldn't you want to watch a story about a half vampire high school detective who investigate and fight vampire?). The chapter was more of a pitch of another story linked to this one than its ending.

Furthermore it wouldn't make sense to end the story without knowing how Nazuna is doing because she is also, with Kou, the main character of this story.

What a lame ending, the middle part of this manga carried hard through these trash final arcs

Dex-chan lover
they "together" but they still have the same problem that split them in the first place.
plus, everything was just made dumber by "i guess the established rules about 1 year periods and half vampires aren't really working now". So do they work? Or not? If they work, why she suggests the forever tag game? If they don't work, why bother with blood pack?
he just mixed up his own rules and didn't resolve anything, it's like the chapter 198 redo, but this time it's ended before they split up again.
If i was the editor, I would tear author's hands off and slap him in his face with them. Cause he needed it.

art is great, characters are CUTE, I love it, but those type of endings. UGH.
wasn't that butthurt since sket dance

Dex-chan lover
Should have at least included a montage of the start of their tag game, with them having "dates" at various places around the world every time he finds her. They don't have to include up to him being a grandpa, just a few years, and end with them questioning how many years they'll be able to enjoy and cherish together. They could also toss in a line about whether he's aging slower or not due to his partial vampire state.

Supporter
Mixed feelings galore with this ending, but I do agree that's it's p fitting....screeeeee

I liked the series but I'm going to choose to believe that later in life they do actually try and he becomes a vampire. As it ends though still a great series with a slightly bittersweet ending. Although if the authors next series is as similar to his first I'll probably skip.

Dex-chan lover
Kou is too powerful.
A high-school student-detective with vampiric abilities and charm with an un-ageing vampire girlfriend. His only weakness is that his girlfriend can't kiss him because she might accidentally suck him to death.

I hope there is a sequel because this ending is not enough. I'd even go for the slice of life/ domesticated marriage bliss shenanigans continuation.

one of the worst endings to one of the most disappointing manga series of all time. Just a garbage story that meant nothing and had nothing to say. A waste of time.

Dex-chan lover
It was...okay.

Not anywhere near the good ending I wanted but likewise could've been so much worse. I think the worst part about it overall is that it doesn't really feel like an ending but an awkward return to the status quo in spite of the drama they set up, now without the possibility for questions being answered.

I liked how he went from going "plz succ me" to "NO SUCC FOR U" though. That was a throw counter into grapple most excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread