Chainsaw Man - Ch. 174 - Ayyy, Aging

Dex-chan lover
Telomere shortening holds one of the weakest effects on us when it comes to aging, but is very important in holding back the cancers that do not mutate the ability to regulate telomerase.
It's why im of the belief that it, as a trait, eventually ended up evolving as an anti-cancer thing, as it simply seems too convenient to be a mere happy coincidence (though it's entirely possible of course).

That said, it does technically prevent immortality, since while we have stem cells that constantly provide telomerase to our important tissues, not all of our tissues are affected by this, so on the very technical sense, deleting the ageing devil would also probably delete telomere shortening.

You do bring up a fine point though, didn't think of what if eating the ageing devil also means organisms can't grow up.
The multiplication of organisms would become conpletely impossible, and if one is pedantic, even the multiplication of tissues. Not a fun time to be a meatbag lol

Problem is if you remove ageing, you're also removing ageing for cancers. Therein lies the problem.
Wait, telomerase regulation? Related to oncological risk? I'm not at all following this field, but this sounds new to me. Got a link to a study on that? My field is in developmental biology, so I am very much open to being wrong. As far as I understand, there is nothing about telomeres that are protective against cancers in specific, they exist because DNA polymerase is directional and require primers to initiate replication and, if I recall, add some protective stability to DNA the same way poly-A tails do to mRNA.

Dex-chan lover
On the next chapter of Chainsaw Man:
F-kOrO-aIAAXrtE.jpg:large

They really screw up the translation. It's the old age devil (老いの悪魔) not aging devil. It makes more sense as to why the old guy was obsessed in the idea since get rid of aging wont help him but get rid of old age will. And this is the official translation too. Even basic google can do it better.

Users who are viewing this thread