Chainsaw Man - Ch. 174 - Ayyy, Aging

Dex-chan lover
Makima's plan, some crap japan bureaus dealing with devil, crazy black chainsawman and etc. It shocks the reader the first time, but its kind of boring to read similar things again. Maybe its better for Fujimoto to end this manga soon, take a vacation and plan something new.
In b4 chainsaw man eats the devil devil and denji becomes a normal human working at McDonald’s with Deku

Dex-chan lover
This whole thing is a fucking stupid idea

Excessive plant growth, ever-multiplying cancers and diseases, and undying locust swarms.

All this is shit i came up with in 5 seconds, yet these clowns who are supposed to lead the free world can't fucking put two and two together. They think they're gonna live forever, they soypog at the thought of "immortality", and then they fuck everything up for everyone.

Evolution didn't "invent" aging / telomerase shortening for the funsies, it did so because it was the only way to avoid total ecosystem collapse everytime populations of literally anything got too big, and cancer from constantly styling on everyone at the same time
A bunch of total fucking idiots in charge are risking destroying the world and the collapse of complex civilizational systems in order to fulfill their own selfish desires for things like long life and power and control? Damn, this series is so poorly written and unrealistic. That would never happen IRL

Dex-chan lover
If we're being generous and assuming these old fucks are doing it "for the sake of Japan," then they're probably trying to find a solution to Japan's decreasing population. Even then, it's a stupid idea.
possibly use the Chainsaw Devil to erase Death
But why not wait and do it the other way around? Erase death and then old age. If you erase old age, and chainsaw man is killed by death, then you're stuck with the repercussions of that decision. And who decides what's old? Will certain fruit and vegetables be allowed to reach maturity or will that be "too old?" What about the existance of other types of food? Cheese or anything that requires fermentation? What about the planet itself? Is it "too old?" Will it return to a state billions of years prior?

There's definitely some kind of catch with this deal, as well. Why would it specify Japanese children in a country with a low and declining birth rate?

Also, mark your calendars. 2026 is the next Fire-Horse year. We'll get to see if Japan is still a superstitious country. Expect a sharp decline in the birth rate that year.

Dex-chan lover
That's why i put "invented" in quotation marks. Evolution doesn't invent anything, it just naturally selects for good qualities, and senescence is superior to the opposite.
You're still doing it-- you're ascribing conscious thought process to "evolution". You propose that it makes choices ("selects") and you propose that the qualities it selects are "good".

Neither of those are givens.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I'm surprised they didn't just put in way more smaller hyperspecific devils instead, now if the plan succeeds they're going to have ancient babies and that old fuck is stuck at being an old fuck. And they better have the vomit devil in witness protection or something, the only thing worse than eating the vomit devil would be eating the chainsaw man devil, tf happens then ?

Dex-chan lover
This whole thing is a fucking stupid idea

Excessive plant growth, ever-multiplying cancers and diseases, and undying locust swarms.

All this is shit i came up with in 5 seconds, yet these clowns who are supposed to lead the free world can't fucking put two and two together. They think they're gonna live forever, they soypog at the thought of "immortality", and then they fuck everything up for everyone.

Evolution didn't "invent" aging / telomerase shortening for the funsies, it did so because it was the only way to avoid total ecosystem collapse everytime populations of literally anything got too big, and cancer from constantly styling on everyone at the same time
Telomere shortening is not an evolutionary feature to promote ageing, it's an artefact of DNA replication on the lagging strand, necessitating 5' primers to allow DNA polymerase to perform 5'-3' replication, and DNA ligase to join the discontinuous Okazaki fragments. These 5' primers are why we need telomeres, and the fact that telomerase isn't active in somatic cells to lengthen telomeres isn't to cause ageing for some evolutionary advantage, it is simply because genes are "selfish" and are only inherited if they are passed on. We are a sexually reproducing species, and so our genetics exist to allow us to reproduce with another of our species. Beyond that, mere survival is good enough. All of that to say: there are organisms that are immortal, and even mammalian somatic cells can be kept alive indefinitely given the right conditions.

I should also add, cancer is also an artefact of the way our cells reproduce, and the way they interact with each other. Essentially, the cause of cancer most in common with everyone unfortunate to have it, is bad luck and living long enough, because every cell division is a dice roll.

Dex-chan lover
That's why i put "invented" in quotation marks. Evolution doesn't invent anything, it just naturally selects for good qualities, and senescence is superior to the opposite.
Evolution does not select for good qualities, it selects from what survives and reproduces. If a trait is good enough, it passes. Also, consider that the processes you're referring to are extremely complex and almost any mutation that far up a developmental pathway is likely to prevent meiosis, let alone conception, implantation, and growth.

Fed-Kun's army
But why not wait and do it the other way around? Erase death and then old age. If you erase old age, and chainsaw man is killed by death, then you're stuck with the repercussions of that decision. And who decides what's old? Will certain fruit and vegetables be allowed to reach maturity or will that be "too old?" What about the existance of other types of food? Cheese or anything that requires fermentation? What about the planet itself? Is it "too old?" Will it return to a state billions of years prior?

There's definitely some kind of catch with this deal, as well. Why would it specify Japanese children in a country with a low and declining birth rate?

I do wonder. Does this work based on some kind of objective concepts that describe reality independently of how humans view them? Or is the things that are removed from reality based on how humans themselves think about a particular concept? Usually, I would tend towards more objective explanations of things, but in this case considering that Devils themselves are born from human fears, I might lean the other way.

It might make sense (more sense even) for the consequences of the concept being erased to also be based on that collective subjective understanding of the world's concepts. For instance, people don't tend to think of ripe fruit as old, therefore they would not fall under the concept of "old age", therefore erasing the fear of old age would not erase them as well.

The subjectivity of it all makes it hard to tell how anything is supposed to work in this case and most likely an arbitrary choice would be made by the author, but then again didn't this chapter just establish that the way that Chainsaw Devil's erasure works is kind of arbitrary/messy.

That being said, no matter how prepared Public Safety may think they are and no matter how much we try to justify their way of thinking, I do agree that there's probably a catch somewhere one way or the other.

Dex-chan lover
Er, growing up counts as aging so no more children, or adults in the future for that matter. People can still die from other stuff, but there's no replacing them later. Aging (and death) is the great equalizer, so even evil people will eventually be gone.

Really stupid idea by selfish evil people.

Anyhoo:
giphy.webp

Dex-chan lover
Okay so can anyone tell me the reason why they seem to have sent the MOUTH AND EAR DEVIL TO FIGHT CHAINSAWMAN???? Why send fundamental and important parts of every organism on earth to fight a creature where if it eats them, they disappear? Okay, Ears I can live with if they wanted to observe how such a drastic change would impact the world, but fucking Mouths? IF CHAINSAWMAN HAS NO MOUTH HOW WILL HE EAT OTHER DEVILS? Is public safety literally run by drooling retards or is there some master plan at work here because now they can't talk to each other and everyone will eventually starve to death if they can't figure out how to bring mouths back

Fed-Kun's army
I don't think killing the "aging" devil will bring them immortality, it's not the death devil. they will probably just die before becaming old

Users who are viewing this thread