Chainsaw Man - Ch. 177 - Trigger Finger

Dex-chan lover
National Pistol Association instead of rifles? Ya know, I don't recall seeing any rifles in the whole series at the moment...
Considering the fact that fear of gun = stronger gun devil that make sense. Pistol in CSM universe would've invoked the same fear and alarmed response from non-muricans as much as real life people seeing a rifle-looking gun.

A rifle might as well look like a live bomb there.

I wonder why 400,000 of them lost their index fingers and not all of them. Does everyone in the NRA have a devil contract or just some of them? Also didn’t America ban guns because of the gun devil in this timeline? Gun violence is at a low enough level that it can be ignored and the country will be fine, historically countries have had way higher rates of death from murder and disease, but a giant monster that flies around at Mach 10 and kills millions of people is different.
In the Portuguese translation, both the fanmade and official, it says that only 40.000 people lost their fingers, I don't know which is right

Fed-Kun's army
So it seems like the author is taking pot shots at America and gun owners in the USA. Good thing I kinda stopped reading halfway through part 2. Honestly the manga should’ve ended at part 1. But the author following the “message” is pretty sad. Just more bootlicking propaganda.

Dex-chan lover
Asa is also a fiend. feed her some blood and normal hands will grow back
Fiends have never been shown to be able to regrow lost body parts. Only devils and hybrids can do that. They can heal using blood though.

Dex-chan lover
So it seems like the author is taking pot shots at America and gun owners in the USA. Good thing I kinda stopped reading halfway through part 2. Honestly the manga should’ve ended at part 1. But the author following the “message” is pretty sad. Just more bootlicking propaganda.
What potsho-- what "message"?

Dex-chan lover
I KNEW IT, Americans clearly hid nukes inside the statue of liberty, GOD DAMN IT
We have plenty of secret spacecraft and bases. Here are three examples...

iu
iu

iu

Fed-Kun's army
Poor guns got their feelings hurt.
It’s not about the guns it’s about the people who own them. It’s obvious that the author has disdain for people exercising their freedoms. If he wants to get political people are gonna feel a way about it.

Fed-Kun's army
What potsho-- what "message"?
The potshots being the not so subtle theme of America and Gun ownership being a negative. I mean referencing the NRA as NPA and having the statute of liberty cracking in the same chapter isn’t subtle.

Dex-chan lover
The potshots being the not so subtle theme of America and Gun ownership being a negative. I mean referencing the NRA as NPA and having the statute of liberty cracking in the same chapter isn’t subtle.
Literally the only things that happened on that front were some of the not-NRA losing their index fingers and the Statue of Liberty cracking (as though it were only stone and not copper-clad) as Yoru prepares what's presumably a massive attack using the Gun Devil?

None of that makes any statement on the badness of the NRA, let alone guns, let alone America. And even if Fujimoto was anti-gun, why does that have to have anything to do with "the message" and not "he's a Japanese man living in Japan, a country whose people themselves are more averse to guns than Americans"?

It's like you forgot that this is a manga, produced in Japan, by a man very likely to have never met an American, let alone meaningfully encountered American culture.

Fed-Kun's army
Literally the only things that happened on that front were some of the not-NRA losing their index fingers and the Statue of Liberty cracking (as though it were only stone and not copper-clad) as Yoru prepares what's presumably a massive attack using the Gun Devil?

None of that makes any statement on the badness of the NRA, let alone guns, let alone America. And even if Fujimoto was anti-gun, why does that have to have anything to do with "the message" and not "he's a Japanese man living in Japan, a country whose people themselves are more averse to guns than Americans"?

It's like you forgot that this is a manga, produced in Japan, by a man very likely to have never met an American, let alone meaningfully encountered American culture.
You first have to ask why the author would have a parody NRA in a chapter. The index finger is what a shooters trigger finger is. Chainsaw Man usually seems crazy but there are heavy themes portrayed through. Part of it is just to look cool but much of it has heavy symbolism. The Statue of Liberty cracking and gun owners being hurt by the Gun Devils power is heavily implied to show how Destructive America is. And the crazy thing to me is if the author feels like that about America why tf is Chainsaw Man so heavily marketed to Americans. It’s still one of the top series marketed here.

Dex-chan lover
You first have to ask why the author would have a parody NRA in a chapter.
The NRA existing, under an altered name, isn't "parody".

The Statue of Liberty cracking and gun owners being hurt by the Gun Devils power is heavily implied to show how Destructive America is.
Firstly, the chapter ends with those two things, so there's zero indication that what you came up with was the intended implication. Secondly, did you already forget that the Gun Devil is distributed between several countries, including Japan? Or that the Japanese government not five chapters ago was ready to issue the order to sacrifice 10,000 children to summon the Old Age Devil so that Chainsaw Man could eat it?

And the crazy thing to me is if the author feels like that about America why tf is Chainsaw Man so heavily marketed to Americans.
Even if I grant everything here, the answers would be:

1. Because American manga readers have a preference towards Chainsaw Man, and Viz capitalizes on that preference.

2. Fujimoto has no contact with, let alone control over, the marketing strategy of an overseas subsidiary of his publisher.

Dex-chan lover
Considering the fact that fear of gun = stronger gun devil that make sense. Pistol in CSM universe would've invoked the same fear and alarmed response from non-muricans as much as real life people seeing a rifle-looking gun.

A rifle might as well look like a live bomb there.
Yeah, but guess which gun type has actually killed more people in the US.
It's not rifles.

Dex-chan lover
Yoru is a real American confirmed, and Yoru is gonna give the biggest fingering in history 😏
National Pistol Association instead of rifles? Ya know, I don't recall seeing any rifles in the whole series at the moment...

But seriously, the NPA getting penalized but not actual criminals who probably aren't in those groups smh
The SWAT team Kishibe used against Makima had rifles.

As for the fingering, she's just invoking a contract of some sort, probably signed by the US with Gun (the same contract the POTUS used in Act 1 to have Gun attack Makima most likely). That's what the statue cracking might mean, it shows War hurt the US as part of the contract or something? Dunno

Dex-chan lover
fiend & hybrid is the same thing?
No they’re not, fiends are corpses that devils have decided to inhabit like a hermit crab. Hybrids are their own different thing entirely which the name of was erased and yet the hybrids themselves still persist as a testament to their immortality.

Users who are viewing this thread