Chi no Wadachi - Vol. 9 Ch. 78 - A Trail of Blood

Fed-Kun's army
The page where she said "Nevermind, let's just go home" sent a chill up my spine. She's a monster to the core.

I guess all of the manga begun because Seiichi told Seiko she remembered part of that day in chapter 1.

Double-page supporter
OK, so, two things:

1. Ha, we finally have a (Japanese) title drop for this series, which is something I figured this series would do during its run.
2. This chapter, in my view, solidifies the case for this series having a "horror" tag added to it. The atmosphere and imagery of this chapter is straight up Horror, no two ways about it. It is not Junji Itou-levels of horror, but it gives a good run for it.

Fed-Kun's army
@A-tan Paying attention I see. But throwing Stones back aside. The house was already a trash-dump long before she poisoned Seichi's mind and they showed the Dad that he is not welcomed there anymore. Long before that were already occasions where his Dad could have decided to take his son with him but he didn't. He Even asked Seichi how he is doing at one point. So he Even seemed to have played with the thought of Taking Seichi. And despite the existing cultural differences - that you call out others to always ignore - leaving Seichi with his mom was nontheless a big mistake. And westerners can and are allowed to use their Standarts to judge this Person the way they do. He is a coward. He kept ignoring the signs, and when it was too late he just turned around and left them both behind because of his cowardes. He choose to not burden himself with this in addition to his work: That is even highly relateable and readers don't need to know about any cultural differences to relate to his behaviour. He was -as you mentioned- The perfect example to use for Seichi's mom indeed.

Anyway, thanks for making your observation heard and help others that can't remember at all what happened 30 chapters ago to remember or rethink their thoughts. Much apprechiated.

How it looks right now, Seichi might Even notice this himself and realize how right we westerners and his mom were about the father.

Also using the namedrop for the Revelations chapter is a Chad move.

Dex-chan lover
My god. She's a monster. Now I felt angry at myself for doubting that before. Fuck me, she literally breaks Seichi mentally and physically. And the cat wasn't killed by him or her. Fuck her. Seriously. Hope Seichi is able to spill the truth and let the detective take cares of thing from now.

Dex-chan lover
I really like those black nerve-looking splotches representing sharp pains and disorientation.

"Get up already." This is one cold bitch.

@flavorful Damn, good catch. I was wondering why his face had twisted that way, but that half is definitely similar to his mother's smile. Hopefully, from now on, Seiichi will continue to be "his own person".

Aggregator gang
@3RDp I would rather not make assumptions on what he thought based on the dude simply asking his messed up kid if he is doing alright.

I guess in simpler terms we could say the dad is at fault for being naive and complacient with the ideal lifestyle of a average japanese household. But that is hardly anything worth taking responsability out of Seiko, which is what I'm having an issue with: All those comments whining about why he didnt do anything, when the one responsable for the abuse is the mother are baffling. I get that we dont know exactly how much he knew, and therefore we assume he knew Seiko tried to kill their child like 5 times or some shit, but also because of the social context, it would be hard for the issue to simply end with a divorce or anything other than trying to keep it inside the family without involving "outsiders".

Personally, I think If Seiichi happened to snap at his dad, It wont be for the reasons you think, but because he is a tormented child that most likely wont have the tools to handle and properly cope with the abuse inflicted by his own mother. In cases like that, and assuming the mom will be out the picture, children like Seiichi tend to redirect their feelings to the next thing around them, regardless of said person being supportive or not. Seiichi (speculating here, just pointing that out) in that hypothetical case, would blame his dad not because he really believes he is to blame for the sins of his mother, but because he cant get the closure he needs. Or maybe he is going to be emotionally dead for a while, idk.

Anyways this manga is interesting in a morbid sense. Cant wait to see how it ends but im half expecting an average ending/nothing out the ordinary

Fed-Kun's army
@A-Tan I'm also looking forward to the conclusion. My wild guess is that - as with the authors other manga - every involved character gets some sort of happy ending kind of closure that will justify the depressing mood left in us readers after each chapter. We might also not get a concrete reason for why Seiko acts how she does. So it's fine to not expect much. Funny to say, but I think the journey here is / was the most enjoyable part.

Aggregator gang
@3RDp I have to agree on that last note. I only read Happiness from this author and the story is very intriguing because you don't know what It's going to happen, or where it's going to be headed. But in the end It would seem stuff ends in a less surprising note? It seems all his works are kinda like this, and that's fine.

About Seiko's past: We only got a vague mention of her having a complicated past or smth iirc in one of the previous chapters (by, I think, the aunt). And then when she talks to her kid on the same place where she yeeted him as a little boy, she talks about how she is always felt a certain way. It may be possible that we won't get a flashback about her, but even then I don't think It will be needed with what we did get and what can be inferred from it.

@A-tan I almost agree with what you are saying but by looking at the cover I think there will be a detailed flashback of why and how she turned out to be a mother like she is now

'A Trail of Blood' is what would happen if Stephen King was a mangaka.

Seiko's reaction to Seiichi being still alive after the fall is creepy. She looks... annoyed, as in "what, the runt's still alive? dammit"

Feels like the endgame is very close, but before that, I really want to know what broke this woman and turned her into a psychopath, or if she was always like this.

Users who are viewing this thread