Coffee Moon - Vol. 5 Ch. 23 - for the sake of my precious friends

Dex-chan lover
So happy this is picked up.

image.png

Dex-chan lover
Woohoo!! I just reread it all yesterday and am so surprised it’s being picked up again!

Hey! I volunteered for QC on the last chapter, and I've gotta say I'm really excited to see you guys pick this series back up! I know the quality of this series isn't what it used to be, but I'm still excited to see what happens to Pieta and her friends.

Dex-chan lover
I feel it should be Mosconi or the italian version, because her name Pieta might be a reference to Pieta by Michelangelo, the statue with Marry and Jesus. While there has been nothing that would suggest any russian ties.

Group Leader
I feel it should be Mosconi or the italian version, because her name Pieta might be a reference to Pieta by Michelangelo, the statue with Marry and Jesus. While there has been nothing that would suggest any russian ties.
The Spanish scanlators also went with the "correct spelling" version, which spells like Moscopi. To be honest this is one of those areas that we'd ask the author immediately about what they meant if we were doing official translations, but this is scanlation and we can't really afford to do that.

Last edited:
Translator Imari here.

Maybe, but the literal transliteration of the Japanese used is MOSSUKOPPI. We have to stick at least close to that or we're not translating, we're rewriting.

Almost every other name in the story is some sort of artistic reference. But some are vaguer than others, eg. Danae is from Greek mythology and has been painted by a number of artists, most famously probably Rembrandt. As noted, Nichelangela is probably a variant of Michelangelo, and the assumption is that Pieta's surname is a similar thing where Bota Mochito has chosen to modify Mosconi into Moscopi for reasons that are not immediately obvious.

If someone can figure out what the actual artistic reference is that'd be great. This one is way vaguer than Benvenuto Cellini => Benianiche Cellini. There are multiple artists out there with the surname Mosconi, and none of them are hugely notable.

The Pieta is a common artistic motif in Christian art, the most famous of which is by Michelangelo. It fits perfectly into the whole "artistic reference" thing. Some of the symbolism can be a little heavy-handed at times, but I think Bota Mochito is doing their best to make sure that there are identifiable greater themes to the overall story. Pieta the character certainly embodies a lot of the qualities of The Pieta as an artistic concept.

Dex-chan lover
Translator Imari here.

Maybe, but the literal transliteration of the Japanese used is MOSSUKOPPI. We have to stick at least close to that or we're not translating, we're rewriting.

Almost every other name in the story is some sort of artistic reference. But some are vaguer than others, eg. Danae is from Greek mythology and has been painted by a number of artists, most famously probably Rembrandt. As noted, Nichelangela is probably a variant of Michelangelo, and the assumption is that Pieta's surname is a similar thing where Bota Mochito has chosen to modify Mosconi into Moscopi for reasons that are not immediately obvious.

If someone can figure out what the actual artistic reference is that'd be great. This one is way vaguer than Benvenuto Cellini => Benianiche Cellini. There are multiple artists out there with the surname Mosconi, and none of them are hugely notable.

The Pieta is a common artistic motif in Christian art, the most famous of which is by Michelangelo. It fits perfectly into the whole "artistic reference" thing. Some of the symbolism can be a little heavy-handed at times, but I think Bota Mochito is doing their best to make sure that there are identifiable greater themes to the overall story. Pieta the character certainly embodies a lot of the qualities of The Pieta as an artistic concept.
If we consider ties to art then the italian one still seems correct. There's not a lot of people with the surname muscovy (both from my experience and from the wiki). And according to this wiki page (https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Московский) there wasn't any notable artist with said surname, as the closest we have is a writer who with further research did two films and wrote a bunch of books (most had something to do with lenin).
P.S. I did find an artist with the surname muscovy(https://socrealizm.com.ua/gallery/artist/moskovskih-vn-1938), but he doesn't seem to be well known and his work is even less so, as i even had problems with finding some of them.

Users who are viewing this thread