Creating an otaku Virtual RPG Community

Dex-chan lover
Greetings to everyone,

First of all, thanks to all the Mangadex staff for bringing back forums and anyone curious wanting to revitalise them. To keep it short, I am an experienced Game Director and player that has played quite a number of systems, settings and genres that wants to create a Discord server to do voice and written based role-playing using otaku stuff. And no, Roll20 is ill-suited to find such gaming community. Let's say, have you ever played Maid RPG? A campaign or one-shot impersonating a magical girl (or trap)? A fantasy world that's not a copy-paste generic isekai with filling quests? If you are looking for some hilarious, highly imaginative and fulfilling time, let me know through here and eventually I'll set up a server for everyone to join (just keep checking the post). Lest it turns unpopular, I'll make it happen!

Dex-chan lover
this sounds really cool, except i've never played a tabletop rpg in my life. i've wanted to try, and even more incentive with it being otaku stuff. is it hard to get into it? I know the time commitment can be a bit rough

Dex-chan lover
It's not hard, for a newcomer you just need to think about how would your character behave and what do you want to achieve to start with. For the gaming system, there are some of them that are easier to play than the commonest board games. And yes, the "hard part" is finding a schedule, specially with +5 hours of time difference.

Is it fine to ask for an invite if I'm unsure if I'll be able to make the sessions? I get down time at odd times and I'm really interested.

Dex-chan lover
Is it fine to ask for an invite if I'm unsure if I'll be able to make the sessions? I get down time at odd times and I'm really interested.
I still have to see if there's enough people to start something, but there would be no problem since you actually want to play.

If the server becomes reality, it‘d be cool if you could count me in as well. I‘d be also new to this but it sounds like fun.

Dex-chan lover
It's not hard, for a newcomer you just need to think about how would your character behave and what do you want to achieve to start with. For the gaming system, there are some of them that are easier to play than the commonest board games. And yes, the "hard part" is finding a schedule, specially with +5 hours of time difference.
I see, well if you end up making a server, I'd be happy to join and maybe try something given we can find the time!

Dex-chan lover
Sounds fun if it picks up, especially for the chance to play more alternative TTRPG systems. I'd be glad to participate/run something short if there's interest.

Were you thinking something more play-by-post or through voice chat?

Dex-chan lover
I gave up on the idea since there was barely no one interested, but it would be either text or voice based (obviously in periodic sessions, not posting in the channel/forum). Basically what you would do in any platform, finding a schedule to play and do it.

Dex-chan lover
I gave up on the idea since there was barely no one interested, but it would be either text or voice based (obviously in periodic sessions, not posting in the channel/forum). Basically what you would do in any platform, finding a schedule to play and do it.
I see, that's a shame. I'm not sure about creating a full-blown RPG community, but if you and anyone else are still interested in a two/three session oneshot I could set one up to run on one of these weekends (likely somewhere between 12:00-23:00 UTC).

I'm not a big fan of play-by-text, and have yet to be in a successful campaign of that type that has gone for longer than four sessions. Since people are generally more reluctant to do voice chat with randos though I wouldn't mind sticking to a text-based oneshot with a few people to test the waters. Were you thinking of any particular system, like MAID? Otherwise I can set up a Delta Green or player-customized Fiasco game pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I said Community like the big word, but I'd have been happy with just enough people to make a couple of groups. Maid RPG would be obviously an option, besides that one I was thinking on other simple RPG systems to customise them. And yes, that schedule would work for me too.

Users who are viewing this thread