Cultural Japanese quesiton about Kimono / yukata

Fed-Kun's army
EDIT : ooops, typo in the title :*
Hello everyone, Its completely off topic but its actually a Japanese 'cultural' question kind of
Why do the guys / ML most of the time (95%) DO NOT wear a yukata or kimono while the girls / FL always wear it ?
Its just uncomfortable to see such a beautiful traditional cloth in a woman next to a guy with a plain shirt and jeans
It's not like it doesn't exist a male version, sometimes you see the male using it but so rare :(
Most of the time it's in those festivals with fireworks (Overused plot IMO, but its probably a big deal in Japan )

Is there any reason for it ?

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
Probably most likely definitely fanservice.

As a side note, i didn't know both men and women could use yukatas, i would like to try one... someday.

Contributor
Complete conjecture on my part, feel free to ignore or correct:

1. MC typically has few or zero female friends to attend festivals with, or maybe doesn't even go to festivals at all. If he goes with his bros, it's all casual wear.
2. Attending a festival with a love interest is even less likely in his mind.
3. "I'll never attend a festival in the near future, so I won't need to obtain a yukata for personal use."
4. MC somehow (through the powers of the author) makes a female friend or even a girlfriend, still doesn't have a yukata, no time to get one properly fitted and tailored (?)
5. MC ends up going to the festival in shirt and jeans, while the girl is in a kimono/yukata.

Fed-Kun's army
Because MC usually beta and most beta doesn't really care about what they wear?
it's not as rare as you think though

I think men are just culturally taught to not care as much about fashion so they're more likely to dress casually

Because yukatas are 1. Pretty 2. Hard to put on and not as comfortable as modern clothes
So when girls wear them, it shows that they went through the effort to try to appeal to the MC. And because the MC is mostly just there as reader's self-insert , he didn't, or rather-can't ,show the same amount of effort to try to appeal to the girls, since that'd tip the "oh-I-like-them-all" balance the author tries to maintain in the story.

You'll noted that in those few times the MC actually wore yukata to the festival, the stories they're in also tend to be better than when they don't, because those authors got a story to tell and not just keep throwing harem baits at the readers.

Also, I'd say the firework festivals are more or less as overuse as proms in American series are.

Dex-chan lover
They are pretty breezy and comfortable when you are hot though.

Lmao wouldn't you rather ask some actual Japanese rather than us gaijin here who mostly haven't even stepped a foot in Japan?

Dex-chan lover
Some of us actually go to Japan not for Akihabara but for the temples, food and hotsprings

@pandascepter guess he didn't specify if the question was in the manga context or actual cultural context. If it's the latter then they're better off asking elsewhere

Group Leader
I guess because girls look more special and unique while wearing yukata? Guys usually get away with wearing simple clothes, and not like they have a variety of options to begin with. I've seen some harem-ish manga or just romance manga in general showing guys in yukata as well. Some don't. It's just that the guys don't look any more attractive or different than normal. So that might be why they author chose to just show them in everyday clothes instead. Strange that a game like Persona 4 didn't bother showing the guys in yukata at the festivals, either.

Some of us actually go to Japan not for Akihabara but for the temples, food and hotsprings

Look at this guy bragging about having time and money to travel overseas... =.=

Dex-chan lover
https://----[! URL is only accessible to you. !]----/proxy/0DtZEGhJsP2a95K3GizkkMayLC77t_CN6PbnfCXHWO5w3Q0UHpFVV0XPOjIfBkp4hH0qbtrBkVbG2vtQi6tBZRuV0oveyi1K79pLTKA77r8YEsjXo94RX0-fGGeZAPDMl8EupAzbHUhtw1GluKWjavrBDX0=w498-h280

Users who are viewing this thread