Darashinai Onee-san wo Kaitai - Ch. 3

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the TL.
But pls, consider dropping the "older sister" thing. Either use her name, or "lady" or "onee san". It's small thing, but it feels weird.
Like I've written in a previous chapter discussion, I try avoid using Japanese words except for honorifics because there aren't any equal words for honorifics in English. Even though there's not the same cultural use of big sister in the Western world as in Asia, it's still the same word. We don't know her name, and using lady would sound distant.
I think that for readers not used to manga or Japanese, using Japanese words would be more off-putting than using big sister. In the end I'm going to do it like this.

Dex-chan lover
Obvious wife material. Step up, kid.
Nah, before that happens, this guy will likely enslave her

images

Dex-chan lover
Like I've written in a previous chapter discussion, I try avoid using Japanese words except for honorifics because there aren't any equal words for honorifics in English. Even though there's not the same cultural use of big sister in the Western world as in Asia, it's still the same word. We don't know her name, and using lady would sound distant.
I think that for readers not used to manga or Japanese, using Japanese words would be more off-putting than using big sister. In the end I'm going to do it like this.
Don't agree at all, but I respect it. Thanks for replying.

Dex-chan lover
Chesty, sloppy onee-san and chesty, short-haired neighbor are such premium waifu material. I'd marry them in a heartbeat and make love to them at least three times a week.

Thank you for the translation.

Supporter
Lady fits your logic because it falls into localization territory, translation isn't just directly changing the words to another language fitting the culture of that language is also part of translating

Dex-chan lover
Lady fits your logic because it falls into localization territory, translation isn't just directly changing the words to another language fitting the culture of that language is also part of translating
I could use lady or ma'am, but it'd feel more distant than big sister or older sister in my opinion.
The official English title uses woman instead of onee-san, but that definitely wouldn't fit.

Dex-chan lover
Onee san is onee san. There is just no good enough translation
I daresay, the concept of the "onee-san" eludes even the grasp of the Japanese-- how could we hope to adequately translate it in English? We must recognize that our scanlator is doing his best.

Though all linguistic encapsulations are mere attempts to grasp this venerable mystery, we can take solace that they lead us to a... barely adequate appreciation of it.

No kidding, though, I've been trying to use the concept of "anego" in a work I'm writing, but I have no idea how to come up with a sufficient English equivalent that isn't "boss lady" or "boss".

Last edited:
Supporter
H
I daresay, the concept of the "onee-san" eludes even the grasp of the Japanese-- how could we hope to adequately translate it in English? We must recognize that our scanlator is doing his best.

Though all linguistic encapsulations are mere attempts to grasp this mystery, we can take solace that they lead us to a... barely adequate appreciation of it.

No kidding, though, I've been trying to use the concept of "anego" in a work I'm writing, but I have no idea how to come up with a sufficient English equivalent that isn't "boss lady" or "boss".
Boss lady at least sounds funny so it's ok imo

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the TL.
But pls, consider dropping the "older sister" thing. Either use her name, or "lady" or "onee san". It's small thing, but it feels weird.
Big sis works in the context. She's not his actual sister, but she's a big sis...

It's not much of a thing in English, but in various languages kids are more likely to address an older woman as 'aunt', rather than 'older sister'.
In many languages that call older women "auntie", especially in Asia, you'd consider an older figure as "older brother/sister" if they aren't old enough to be your aunt....

And in the Japanese, he's calling her "big sis"

Users who are viewing this thread