Darashinai Onee-san wo Kaitai - Ch. 3

Dex-chan lover
This kid's moral code has outpowered his horniness despite him being a middle schooler.
Ain't no way his hormones will be controlled by the time he reaches high school

Dex-chan lover
Oh hell nah she brought a dude a real human heart . I cant just overlook that. Where did she find that? Who did she get it from? Did she kill someone? Who did she kill?! Perhaps someone that didn't accept her feelings?

There's a whole horror story hidden in here and it's being hidden by a big breasted drunk lady who offers herself in a cardboard box. I can never forget this now. I'll probably forget next week

Thanks for the chapter
She got it by making it herself out of chocolate, made from scratch using actual cocoa beans that she evidently went to go pick herself (as seen in the expedition she and her friend were going on in a previous panel).

Dex-chan lover
Even though there's not the same cultural use of big sister in the Western world as in Asia, it's still the same word.
Words have different meanings though.

If you really don't like "Lady", I'd suggest "auntie" for a western world. It doesn't completely fit but that is how we tend to refer to close-ish non-relatives. I'd just prefer onee-San anyway but to each their own.

Big sis works in the context. She's not his actual sister, but she's a big sis...

Yes, and we don't have an equivalent to "she's a sister but not really" in the western world. Sister exclusively refers to related siblings (and she just met MC, so it's not like some "childhood friend" sister) .

That's why I just prefer onee-san to clear any ambiguations. It's not easy to translate but easy to learn the meaning of like any other unfamiliar word. But Lady or Miss is "localized" the best so people don't think this is some incest manga. It may seem distant, but it is distant, she's a drunk MC picked up off the streets which she belongs to. That's the point of not calling someone a relative, to be more distant than a relative.

Why would you care how other cultures kids call older women when the manga setting are in Japan?

IMO, you pick a lane. If the scanslator doesn't wants to localize to the point where there's no Japanese terms (within reason), you gotta localize the concept of "older unrelated woman".

I accept different names and titles being left untranslated. I accept dropping them in English when localizing. This just seems like an awkward straddling. Someone reading this without cultural context will think this is some incest manga so that means the localization has failed.

Double-page supporter
IMO, you pick a lane. If the scanslator doesn't wants to localize to the point where there's no Japanese terms (within reason), you gotta localize the concept of "older unrelated woman".

I accept different names and titles being left untranslated. I accept dropping them in English when localizing. This just seems like an awkward straddling. Someone reading this without cultural context will think this is some incest manga so that means the localization has failed.
Or, if some words really don't have the exact translation, just let it be, don't translate it. You can just add context or some explanation what the word is on the translator credit page or near the panel where the word is, some do that.

But then again if you read the story properly, you should get the context don't you think?

Dex-chan lover
Or, if some words really don't have the exact translation, just let it be, don't translate it. You can just add context or some explanation what the word is on the translator credit page or near the panel where the word is, some do that.

But then again if you read the story properly, you should get the context don't you think?
What a dumb "solution". If translating a word is hard, kids, try not tranlating it? What even? Of course it's gonna be hard, it's a completely unrelated language and a culture halfway across the globe from English-speaking areas. That doesn't mean we have to revert to early 2000-style "baka" and "-chan" infused "translations". Stick to reading.

Double-page supporter
What a dumb "solution". If translating a word is hard, kids, try not tranlating it? What even? Of course it's gonna be hard, it's a completely unrelated language and a culture halfway across the globe from English-speaking areas. That doesn't mean we have to revert to early 2000-style "baka" and "-chan" infused "translations". Stick to reading.
This dumb solution is used a lot thou... If there are a simple solution why need to be hardheaded? Just because it's hard to translate, it's doesn't mean the simpler solution to not exist, no?
Like I said, not every word can have the "exact" translation, if the nearest translation still feel weird to read and doesn't match the context of origin word or the result translation become a lot of word, then really... you don't need to translate it. Just give explanation at the end of page, it's not like this is an official translation, why bother to translate so perfectly? As long as the reader understand the context of the story, it's an OK translation then. This is a "free" translation after all, some freedom in translations.... Why not?

But still, your example of "infused" translation kinda weird. Baka is easy to translate, it is stupid. -chan on the other hand, what's wrong with it? A lot of translation still used it. Like comment above me, it better to still use it than become weird translation.
"Stick to reading". Oh my, I don't know you own the comments section, unless, you are not. Why you need to be such a grumpy old man? Does other solution give you the ick? You who don't give any solution like at all???

Dex-chan lover
This dumb solution is used a lot thou... If there are a simple solution why need to be hardheaded? Just because it's hard to translate, it's doesn't mean the simpler solution to not exist, no?
Like I said, not every word can have the "exact" translation, if the nearest translation still feel weird to read and doesn't match the context of origin word or the result translation become a lot of word, then really... you don't need to translate it. Just give explanation at the end of page, it's not like this is an official translation, why bother to translate so perfectly? As long as the reader understand the context of the story, it's an OK translation then. This is a "free" translation after all, some freedom in translations.... Why not?

But still, your example of "infused" translation kinda weird. Baka is easy to translate, it is stupid. -chan on the other hand, what's wrong with it? A lot of translation still used it. Like comment above me, it better to still use it than become weird translation.
"Stick to reading". Oh my, I don't know you own the comments section, unless, you are not. Why you need to be such a grumpy old man? Does other solution give you the ick? You who don't give any solution like at all???
I actually used "baka baka" in a translation couple of days ago, but that's because it was said by a tsundere. I could've used "stupid" or "you dummy", but it was to fill the stereotype.
I'm probably going to use "big sis" and maybe "miss" from now on I guess. People should understand from the first chapter and the context that she's not really his sister.

Double-page supporter
I actually used "baka baka" in a translation couple of days ago, but that's because it was said by a tsundere. I could've used "stupid" or "you dummy", but it was to fill the stereotype.
I'm probably going to use "big sis" and maybe "miss" from now on I guess. People should understand from the first chapter and the context that she's not really his sister.
For me honestly, I prefer the Japanese products that I consume still have Japanese element in it. English is not my first language to begin with, it was third. So fully localization japanese product into English audience never really make me like the product more(nor that I hate it). I like to fill that stereotype that japanese have just like you said about tsundere.

I like more japanese dub than English dub when watching anime because it feels like I did watch anime. I like more japanese dub than English dub when playing jrpg because I feel like playing japanese game.

And so in reading manga, I will like it more if they still use something like "Ara Ara", "Onii-chan", "Onee-chan", "Oji-san", "fujoshi", "otaku", "gal", and many more that only exist in Japanese products.

Just to clarify, I will not hate it when some go full English translation for each word. Heck, I even would read MTL if the manga is really interesting. I'm consuming free stuff after all, I won't be such an asshole to complain at free stuff. I would be grateful for whatever kind of translation, if the results I will get a new chapter to read.

Dex-chan lover
Just give explanation at the end of page, it's not like this is an official translation, why bother to translate so perfectly? As long as the reader understand the context of the story, it's an OK translation then. This is a "free" translation after all
Yes, let's strive for mediocrity.
...it better to still use it than become weird translation.
I see the fact you can barely write English doesn't stop you from telling others how to translate. I'm a "grumpy old man" because I don't like seeing comment section know-it-all armchair heroes trying to give advice to someone who doesn't need advising. The option the TL chose is fine, the one you offer is lazy, outdated and frankly, cringey.

Double-page supporter
Yes, let's strive for mediocrity.
Alright Mr. Perfectionist, if you against so much for mediocrity why don't you just buy from the official translation and go read there? Why stay here? Your high standards mean no shit here.

I see the fact you can barely write English doesn't stop you from telling others how to translate. I'm a "grumpy old man" because I don't like seeing comment section know-it-all armchair heroes trying to give advice to someone who doesn't need advising. The option the TL chose is fine, the one you offer is lazy, outdated and frankly, cringey.
Meh, I don't care. If you can answer back my comment that's mean my writing is understandable enough. English not my main language to begin with.
If I'm know-it-all armchair heroes then what are you? Mom's basement dweller villain? LoL
Chillax Mom's basement dweller villain, just because I have a difference preference doesn't mean I hate what the TL chose. My advice merely a different translation method that I know other TL chose, hate all you want some other TL do that translation method, not me, I'm not a translator and so you too. So chillax Mom's basement dweller villain, any translation is an ok for me because unlike you, I don't have such high standards.

Dex-chan lover
Alright Mr. Perfectionist, if you against so much for mediocrity why don't you just buy from the official translation and go read there? Why stay here? Your high standards mean no shit here.

Meh, I don't care. If you can answer back my comment that's mean my writing is understandable enough. English not my main language to begin with.
If I'm know-it-all armchair heroes then what are you? Mom's basement dweller villain? LoL
Chillax Mom's basement dweller villain, just because I have a difference preference doesn't mean I hate what the TL chose. My advice merely a different translation method that I know other TL chose, hate all you want some other TL do that translation method, not me, I'm not a translator and so you too. So chillax Mom's basement dweller villain, any translation is an ok for me because unlike you, I don't have such high standards.
https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/

Double-page supporter
Oh wow, bold of you to assume that I need your advice with your website suggestions.
Hey mate, do you need a bo'oh'o'wo'er'? Or maybe fancy a cuppa?
Because you seems like lost for words after all those bark you did.

Users who are viewing this thread