DeepL is barely worth the money.

Group Leader
With the presence of hundreds of thousands of instances of "Right, so 'hakatakataka konnichiwa sushi g-... what? "
So... You're unable to read the raw pages?

I'm not trying to be mean or anything like that, but it really sounds as if your japanese is nowhere near good enough to be reading because, once again, why would anyone who can legitimately read japanese need to MTL when it's way easier, faster and convenient to directly read the raw pages?

At the end of the day, you still need to go through all these pages regardless of if you’re reading the raws or the MTL, except one will always require way more work from you and result in a bunch of inaccuracies.

Dex-chan lover
So... You're unable to read the raw pages?
If you read through this short thread, you'd see me point out that at full speed, that's a chapter a day for me, at best. And considering the question I wanted answered had left me losing my sleep, and appetite, among other things, one a day was unacceptable.
I'm not trying to be mean or anything like that, but it really sounds as if your japanese is nowhere near good enough to be reading because, once again, why would anyone who can legitimately read japanese need to MTL when it's way easier, faster and convenient to directly read the raw pages?
I'm starting to wonder why you're even here. Is this some attempt to humblebrag about your Japanese skills or something? You went to a thread about MTL to tell OP that he should just know how to read Japanese perfectly instead. Well sorry, bud, I only started translating nine months ago, so full-length novels are a bit out of my reach.

"Guys, stay away from this brand of Pulley! It broke on me halfway through a project"

"Well why are you using pulleys when you can just lift harder bro?"

That's you. Stop being you. 😐
At the end of the day, you still need to go through all these pages regardless of if you’re reading the raws or the MTL, except one will always require way more work from you and result in a bunch of inaccuracies.
Seriously, what did you think you were contributing?

Group Leader
If you read through this short thread, you'd see me point out that at full speed, that's a chapter a day for me, at best. And considering the question I wanted answered had left me losing my sleep, and appetite, among other things, one a day was unacceptable.

I'm starting to wonder why you're even here. Is this some attempt to humblebrag about your Japanese skills or something? You went to a thread about MTL to tell OP that he should just know how to read Japanese perfectly instead. Well sorry, bud, I only started translating nine months ago, so full-length novels are a bit out of my reach.

"Guys, stay away from this brand of Pulley! It broke on me halfway through a project"

"Well why are you using pulleys when you can just lift harder bro?"

That's you. Stop being you. 😐

Seriously, what did you think you were contributing?
I don't think that you are a very good translator if you work at a pace of 1 a day, most people I know will get a chapter done in a matter of hours. Relying on MTL isn't going to improve that, you're only going to get worse because you will pick up poor habits and mistranslate lots of things that you probably wouldn't have beforehand.

Dex-chan lover
I don't think that you are a very good translator if you work at a pace of 1 a day, most people I know will get a chapter done in a matter of hours. Relying on MTL isn't going to improve that, you're only going to get worse because you will pick up poor habits and mistranslate lots of things that you probably wouldn't have beforehand.
Yeah, well, not much I can do when the chapters are 16,000+ characters long. Also, I'm not here to improve anything. This thread seems to be attracting a lot of unsolicited advice, and while I'm normally not bothered by it, it's entirely misplaced here. My pace of work is more than adequate, I can read just fine, and I don't have any major issues translating things. If you'd like to criticize my work, might I suggest you post a comment on anything Orchid of the Moon has uploaded in the last nine to ten months? Alternatively, you can post a comment on "How About R15?", starting chapter 13.

Group Leader
Yeah, well, not much I can do when the chapters are 16,000+ characters long. Also, I'm not here to improve anything. This thread seems to be attracting a lot of unsolicited advice, and while I'm normally not bothered by it, it's entirely misplaced here. My pace of work is more than adequate, I can read just fine, and I don't have any major issues translating things. If you'd like to criticize my work, might I suggest you post a comment on anything Orchid of the Moon has uploaded in the last nine to ten months? Alternatively, you can post a comment on "How About R15?", starting chapter 13.
If you don't want solicited advice then I advise that you stop posting on the internet 👍

Contributor
If you don't want solicited advice then I advise that you stop posting on the internet 👍
I find you very close minded in a lot of comments on this forum. Stop bullying people and let them live how they want.

You don't need to judge everything or everyone like you have the innate truth of how the world should work.

Relying on MTL isn't going to improve [your level in japanese].
I agree with that, but I don't think he is only relying on MTL.

Dex-chan lover
Oh, I'm totally open to advice. Just in the relevant places. Like on the chapters I've worked on. Hell, I'm personally re-doing the translations for an already-existing series. You can see it in my uploads and everything. Maybe try criticizing on that one?

Bingo. I regularly stopped to clarify lines when they important to the story. But a bulk of the text wasn't relevant to what I wanted to do. Hell, a lot of the text could have been cut from the work outright, since none of it ended up going anywhere. Figuring out what was what wasn't worth the trouble of translating line by line.

Group Leader
I find you very close minded in a lot of comments on this forum. Stop bullying people and let them live how they want.

You don't need to judge everything or everyone like you have the innate truth of how the world should work.

I find you retarded. I don't know why you seem to want to be involved in everything that I do on this forum.

Group Leader
TL;DR: You're best off using it as a second opinion for a difficult line.
I find that for some context sensitive translations (for languages I don't know like japanese, I'm more focused on learning chinese) chat GPT and some other AI models work best, since unlike traditional mtl, they base off their response based on what you tell them instead of a dictionary (so you can add context about what is happening when x says x)

Dex-chan lover
I find that for some context sensitive translations (for languages I don't know like japanese, I'm more focused on learning chinese) chat GPT and some other AI models work best, since unlike traditional mtl, they base off their response based on what you tell them instead of a dictionary (so you can add context about what is happening when x says x)
I've switched to using GPT4 for a while now, and it doesn't hallucinate at all. That makes it worth the money all on its own. The fact that I can talk to it to figure out the exact meanings for particularly dense lines is a clear bonus.

Group Leader
have you looked for anyone who's willing to help with the translation? not someone to do it for you, but someone to proofread your translations. that could make up for any gaps, my group consists of me and two proofreaders / qc checkers, you don't need full staff volunteers for it if you don't want to

Dex-chan lover
have you looked for anyone who's willing to help with the translation? not someone to do it for you, but someone to proofread your translations. that could make up for any gaps, my group consists of me and two proofreaders / qc checkers, you don't need full staff volunteers for it if you don't want to
A) This post was about a novel that's finally being done.
B) I have proofreaders for my usual, but they don't speak Japanese.
C) I'm the best translator I know.
D) Almost all the others I know either don't speak English or even Japanese, as a first language, or hate me for daring to correct them.

Group Leader
A) This post was about a novel that's finally being done.
B) I have proofreaders for my usual, but they don't speak Japanese.
C) I'm the best translator I know.
D) Almost all the others I know either don't speak English or even Japanese, as a first language, or hate me for daring to correct them.
ah alright, i wasn't really able to tell where the problem was reading this thread, sorry bout that

Dex-chan lover
ah alright, i wasn't really able to tell where the problem was reading this thread, sorry bout that
Yeah, the problem was that I was doing it out of personal curiosity, and had dozens of chapters to go through. So I tried using MTL to speed through. I found out DeepL outright stops trying, and starts imagining the same handful of lines, while ignoring the text on the page. Add to that the fact that it's not terribly accurate, and I felt I had to complain at the time after wasting money.

Users who are viewing this thread