Demon X Angel, Can't Get Along! - Ch. 117 - Demon and angel on uninhabited island. Survival diary, entry #27

Group Leader
Omg finally some ducking progress. Can i take it that now they'll openly kiss when they can? If yes then i can die happy

Dex-chan lover
images

That's that and this is this

Supporter
Personally I'd use the word "stubborn" for that situation, because even though it doesn't mean the same exact thing, it conveys the same idea that she keeps looking for a resolution even though he wants to forget it.

Dex-chan lover
Personally I'd use the word "stubborn" for that situation, because even though it doesn't mean the same exact thing, it conveys the same idea that she keeps looking for a resolution even though he wants to forget it.
But he was surprised by the fact that she remembered (or, rather, "memorized") the fact that someone did something wrong to her. I was kind of surprised when I was unable to find the word in English. There is one in Chinese: 记仇, Baike (kind of Chinese dictionary, like Wiktionary is for Wikipedia) says it's an equivalent for English "bear grudges; harbor bitter resentment", but 记仇 can be used as adjective, like "John is very 记仇" = "John is known to bear grudges a lot".
There is the same word in German: "nachtragend" (mentioned in this StackExchange question).
There is one in Russian: "злопамятный", it's literally phrase "evil memory" converted into an adjective.
But I was unable to find a suitable equivalent in English. The one that doesn't say "this person periodically thinks about their grudges" or "they are actively seeking vengeance". It's more of "when they're wronged, they don't forget it". Maybe English speakers in their nature are more forgiving than Chinese, German and Russian speakers and didn't have to invent such a word? :)

Supporter
But he was surprised by the fact that she remembered (or, rather, "memorized") the fact that someone did something wrong to her. I was kind of surprised when I was unable to find the word in English. There is one in Chinese: 记仇, Baike (kind of Chinese dictionary, like Wiktionary is for Wikipedia) says it's an equivalent for English "bear grudges; harbor bitter resentment", but 记仇 can be used as adjective, like "John is very 记仇" = "John is known to bear grudges a lot".
There is the same word in German: "nachtragend" (mentioned in this StackExchange question).
There is one in Russian: "злопамятный", it's literally phrase "evil memory" converted into an adjective.
But I was unable to find a suitable equivalent in English. The one that doesn't say "this person periodically thinks about their grudges" or "they are actively seeking vengeance". It's more of "when they're wronged, they don't forget it". Maybe English speakers in their nature are more forgiving than Chinese, German and Russian speakers and didn't have to invent such a word? :)
I see what you mean. Honestly, I think this is just the nature of translating between languages, some phrases don't have good parallel terms. One way I think about this is, if the situation came up in American media like a comic book or tv show, how would the character react in English, what would they say? Something like "petty" might work, as I've sometimes seen it used for remembering a grudge past its expiration date, and also conveys how he thinks down on her for bringing up old wrongs. But for terms like this, trying to get an exact translation won't be perfect. You could always try the route of writing "Why are you always bringing those matters up?" instead of doing the more exact translation of "Why are you so (untranslateable term)?", which kinda gets the idea across without finding a match for that word.

Users who are viewing this thread