Destiny Unchain Online ~Kyuuketsu-ki Shoujo to natte, Yagate『Aka no Maou』to Yobareru You ni Narimashita~ - Vol. 7 Ch. 58 - Life on the Line

Dex-chan lover
If there's one beef I have here tbh, it's that Crim apparently managed to parry directly back at Merrow. It'd be one thing if she managed to just deflect the railgun and save Lycoris from the shot as Lycoris shot the core, but from p17 she managed to completely deflect the railgun shot back into the robot's mouth. The amount of force required for that would be absolutely ridiculous and should have at least shattered her arm.
katana magic

Dex-chan lover
do you remember around what chapter this is?

figure ill just read the novel but dont wanna start from the beginning
The manga changes quite a bit from the webnovel so I don't know if there is really an equivalent starting point. Lycoris is introduced to Crim and joins the guild in Ch. 29. And Lycoris gets her gun in the desert in a very short interlude after chapter 30. These two dudes and the camera girl and this arc were not in the webnovel. At least I don't remember them.

The manga changes quite a bit from the webnovel. But both are still fun to read. Hope this helps.

Dex-chan lover
Parrying a railgun whilst perfect snipe shot kill the boss is a very nice end for this LOOOOOONG ASSS arc , i swear they couldve ended this with 10 chapters but i guess it was alright. Hope they never do this again, the fact that its around 20ch to finish this arc with a monthly(?) release chapter was hell, it wouldve been okay if it was weekly but who am i to complain 😭

Hopefully the next arc is as interesting, thanks for the translations <3

Dex-chan lover
Nah, that was Lycoris' shot.
The railgun shell was cut in half and narrowly flew past Lycoris (pg.17)

the trail in pg.18 is the tracer from the shell
Admittedly, I was drunk when I was reading this chapter. From Page 19, where both the cadaveroid and Merrow display the "DESTROY" status, I took that to mean that there were two simultaneous attacks at each part of the boss. I saw Lycoris's shot at the cadaveroid, but I thought the implication was that Crim also got a crit on Merrow by hitting back into the mouth at the same time.

Thinking about it more, Merrow just probably ate the Destroy status from its cadaveroid core being destroyed. And I see the bullet being cut in half now, yeah (definitely didn't before).

Dex-chan lover
I think you got it wrong on the credits page, Crim knows exactly where to parry (since the boss was aiming at Lycoris) and she's implying that it's impossible to parry on reaction (affer the projectile has been shot) which also mean she'd need to parry based on timing without any visual cues.

Hardest frame perfect trick I pulled?

Once in MonHun Rise I countered A Risen crimson Glow Valstrax rocket dash in a do or die attack with the downswing of SnS wirebug uppercut [by accident]

Turns out you can counter the thing with a hit to the back of the head even mid dash, stops the attack, negates all damage, deals massive damage and possibly stuns the dragon... mine ended the hunt right there and then. best hunt ever!

Dex-chan lover
Some games have very powerful-feeling parries. For me, Tunic is one of those games. Where you have to ANTICIPATE the attack in some cases. It feels really satisfying to pull off.

Sickly Senpai
Staff
Super Moderator
The railgun shell was cut in half and narrowly flew past Lycoris (pg.17)

the trail in pg.18 is the tracer from the shell
Railgun projectiles are generally too fast for a tracer (or even explosive filling like a cannon shell) to be useful; they're generally just metal darts. The trail would be a shockwave of water vapor and potentially molten sparks from the launch rails.

SSStylish! Victory!

It is interesting how some top batters or martial artists can react to things humans per se can't react to with enough skill and practice.
More of knowing where the projectile will be and being there before hand than actual reflexes.

Still, I don't think the sword would survive the hit. Also even if the parry would split the shot, the splinters would hit you most likely still travelling at mach speeds. Is a video game this time, so logic & reality need not boringly apply.
Something I learned from swordfighting is that your arms are slow and your eyes are slower. Intercepting sword swings is half reaction and half intuiting the end result. And yes, if it was working on physics simulation, both katana and Crim are toast.

Cutting an ordinary bullet is potentially possible because they're soft metals: lead wrapped in a copper-alloy. Kinetic penetrator darts are generally hardened tungsten alloys, so they tend to go through things and let the shrapnel and spalling formed from the hole do the damage, only stopping when they lose enough energy to punch another hole, and then smushes or deflects off.

So, what happens if we assume our Crim-crim's magical katana is perfectly hard? Math(s) time!

The US Navy's experimental railgun used 20kg projectiles at 2,500 m/s (Mach 7.3, at sea level).
Kinetic energy is 1/2*the mass of an object*its velocity squared:
1719037579583.png
The result is 6.25x10^7 kg*m/s...or 62.5 Megajoules (MJ) of energy. That seems like a nebulously big number, so let's get some context.
1 gram of TNT releases 4184 joules (4 kJ) of energy.
62.5x10^7 J *(1 gram of TNT/4184J) = 14940 grams-> 15kg of TNT.
I repeat, the railgun projectile slams into Crim's sword as if a bomb with 75% the mass of the railgun dart was taped to her sword, then exploded.

And then Newton's Third Law comes into play: "If two bodies exert forces on each other, these forces have the same magnitude but opposite directions." The sword pushes back on the railgun dart and splits it...but the sword also inherits much of the momentum of the impact.

The two halves of the railgun dart deflect off at angles determined by the exact point of impact and the angle of the blade and the impact angle of the railgun dart, but each is going a bit slower, likely closer to 2200-2400 m/s, with 3-10% of the projectile vaporized into tungsten shrapnel that impacts poor Crim in the roughly .4 milliseconds (400 microseconds) it takes the shrapnel to travel the roughly 1m distance from her outstretched arms. The sword (now moving close to 2000 m/s, depending on angles and how much both sword and dart deform/deflects), fragments of her wrist bones, and the shockwave created from the collision of the dart and the sword all hit her vitals within about 25 milliseconds, give or take.

tl;dr: Crim surviving the parry is total game mechanic, because she's basically parrying a carbomb going off at arm's length.

Dex-chan lover
I really hate using parries as defense in video games. I much prefer to dodge, take the hit on a shield, or just use a health potion after getting hit.

Dex-chan lover
Lol, she failed the parry. And still they survived despite that, as object-destruction somehow canceled all the momentum and heat that should have been applied the her sword from the block, and the subsequent deflection/projectile-split served the same purpose as a parry because the 2 split projectiles missed the target.
In story: Clutch wins and amazing rewards.
In reality: Flaking a boss attack to a wipe and heavy grinding to get the desired gear.

On the parry (or rather counter I should say since Crim cut the projectile instead of deflecting it), depending on the game and ability, parry timing and ability could be quite generous, e.g., as long as the stance is up incoming attack will be parried (and the stance is up for like 1s). Or, of course it could be super tight as well.
I choose to believe DUO devs and game designer are the nicer kind on this aspect.
There was either deflection (making the split projectiles angle away from eachother so they missed them) or that was just the standard behaviour games implement for split projectiles (symmetrically spaces them, so often getting an even number of projectiles makes you less accurate and perform worse than before).
But It's still not a parry, as everyone knows that in games "parry" means a riposte/counter/reflect/ricochet (negates damage and causes retaliatory damage or at least returns projectile toward sender, parry-direction, or some similar direction). And 2 attacks hitting eachother are considered 'cancels', instead of parries (or counters). So no, not a 'counter', but rather a 'cancel'.

And this game doesn't seem to be using motion-blurs as actual sprites whose collision is used to parry the projectile (which is done in most [good] 2d games, and some 3d ones achieving a similar effect with an arc of hit-scan traces), so this looks like the really punishing kind. Where the actual model needs to intersect the other model.
On the other hand, this means that if her cancel was performed really slowly there would be seconds where the blade was in the path waiting to intersect the bullet. Or maybe she could simply have stood still, with the blade positioned in the expected path? Seen those kinds of games before too (wasn't nidhogg one of them?).

Dex-chan lover
I really hate using parries as defense in video games. I much prefer to dodge, take the hit on a shield, or just use a health potion after getting hit.
Blasphemy!
Using your health potions? What kind of deranged psychopath are you? Someone without hoarder issues?!? What if you need it later? I know this is the final boss, but still, what if?~ :wtf:

Every consumable used feels like a personal failure on my part (worse than simply losing to a boss a couple times), when I play games :meguuusad:
If the game managed to make it not feel that way and instead feel like a part of how the game is played, then it was likely a damn good game. Like... uh... 'rainbow six: siege' and 'Halo: combat evolved'/'sourceforts' I guess? And 'one way heroics' for a game that is not literally a 10-minute round FPS game with grenades (or FPS deathmatch game with infinite respawn restocking grenades), though that's cause of weight limits and herbs respawning anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread