Dev news: Launching API version 2 (also v1 deprecation notice) | Last updated 2021-01-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Kyrokis
lastChapter and lastVolume will only return value when the manga itself is completed with known number of exact chapter and volume you can check this (https://mangadex.org/api/v2/manga/15240) and this (https://mangadex.org/manga/15240) see the reading progress you will know your progress/119.5 for chapter, same for lastVolume.

The reason why you can fetch chapter data is for pagination purpose, so your application can show maximum chapter per page, like nangadex webpage itself, using pagination with maximum 100 chapters per page

chapter language is bonded with account settings if i'm not wrong, so if you authenticated with account that showing english only on web, the api itself will following web behavior

correct me if I'm wrong

Dex-chan lover
when the manga itself is completed with known number of exact chapter and volume
I don't quite understand why such a restriction is needed, why can't return the last current chapter and volume?
The reason why you can fetch chapter data is for pagination purpose
Maybe I didn't quite accurately put it, I meant that I would like to get only 1 chapter, but I can't get less than 10. And the same about languages, I monitor several languages and I want to track them simultaneously, but separately.
In any case, the flexibility of the filters has not bothered anyone yet.

Also, when will the api freeze so third party readers like Tachiyomi can implement it?

I don't quite understand why such a restriction is needed, why can't return the last current chapter and volume
No, you're taking it in wrong way, the lastChapter and lastVolume feature is a feature where you can get the total chapter and volume published to public already, not the last chapter that uploaded here

Maybe I didn't quite accurately put it, I meant that I would like to get only 1 chapter, but I can't get less than 10. And the same about languages, I monitor several languages and I want to track them simultaneously, but separately.
In any case, the flexibility of the filters has not bothered anyone yet.
I'm not the developer so they must have reason, but i think this is the best way to fetch chapter even with minimum is 10, so you don't even bother to thinking about pagination algorithm and i see no problem between taking 10 chapter just for 1 chapter for my own application itself. As for the language filter idk, i'm not the developer too, it's a cool feature though

Tags seem to no longer be searchable with browsers' search function, it used to be pretty easy to quickly find the tag/genre you want to search for (e.g. ctrl+f searching for comedy or whatever on advanced search). Could text be reintroduced to make it easier to search for the tags you wish?

The search do Tachoiyomi app stopped to me. Everyone with the same probelm?

the updates are working but search results always blank....

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@EV-8371_kk posted:

Also, when will the api freeze so third party readers like Tachiyomi can implement it?
Hopefully soon, as far as I'm aware there's just one caching-related bug still haunting us and causing the wrong amount of chapters to show up in a list sometimes (as a result of all the spaghetti that's holding this entire website up). I haven't had much time to do dev work the past week or so, and rdn's been similarly busy with other stuff.

I don't plan on making any breaking changes to what we have currently, though, unless someone happens to find something critical. I assume someone would've alerted me to it already if that was the case.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@tragedian Not that this has anything to do with the API, but what do you mean? If you're talking about how the tags are displayed in the advanced search (dropdown vs checkbox list), the tag display mode option is still there exactly like it has been for the past year or whatever.

@teasday My mistake thought it was part of it. I'm referring to the current system that doesn't display the tags as text, instead in some sort of object. This is quite a hassle when searching for manga with multiple different tag criteria. I used to be able to search for the tags in the checkbix system with the browser's search function. For example when I look for comedy romance and slice of life, I could just ctrl+f and search for them then tick the boxes, now I have to go through the list by eye.

Edit: this actually seems to be an issue with my desktop browser since now that I checked it with my phone, the search function works just fine. Weird

Contributor
Despite the API changelog I found this chapter that still returns groups as map:
https://mangadex.org/api/v2/chapter/1113458
"groups":{"0":{"id":13145,"name":"FLAME-SCANS"},"2":{"id":12889,"name":"Vale Scanlation"}}

Could it be happening because originally the chapter was uploaded with 3 groups and the second got removed later?

Custom title
Staff
Developer
2020-11-26
- Fixed the
Code:
groups
field in the chapter entity sometimes showing up as an object instead of an array (thanks to php's array_filter not working as I expected it to)
- Fixed a problem that lead to chapter lists unexpectedly sometimes returning only 100 items due to a caching conflict
- Implemented a user's MDList privacy setting applying to the required authorization of
Code:
GET /user/{id}/followed-manga

@Teasday

The v2 api seems not to respect blocking groups. I have group id 15788 blocked by when I run https://mangadex.org/api/v2/manga/44409/chapters the chapter they have out is still included in the list, but on the v1 api it is not present.

That was one example but I did a couple more tests with groups I have blocked and api requests for series they have released and it is the same for them also.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Isotab True, I suppose that should be added instead of leaving it for the client to deal with. The stateless dream is already dead anyway, so oh well.

I should probably include a query parameter for optionally turning the blocking off.

And yeah, language filters probably next.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
As a heads-up, in the near future there's going to be two breaking changes in
Code:
/user/{id}/settings
, with
Code:
shownChapterLangs
returning the two-letter "flag" codes instead of the ID strings, and
Code:
excludedTags
returning an array of objects instead of the ID strings, to get these overlooked values in line with the rest of the API format. Hopefully not a lot of people were using these for anything quite yet.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
2020-11-28
- [Breaking] Changed the format of
Code:
shownChapterLangs
and
Code:
excludedTags
in
Code: