Display Manga Titles In Preferred Language [Planned]

Double-page supporter
Here's the problem:
I do not speak Japanese, and remembering Japanese titles is really really hard for me.

Solution:
Give me the setting to display titles preferably in the language I chose (maybe even by user rating).

For example:
Instead of
Honzuki no Gekokujou ~Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen~ Dai 2-bu 「Hon no Tamenara Miko ni Naru!」

The english title I can actually recognize
Ascendance of a Bookworm ~I'll do anything to become a librarian~ Part 2 「I'll become a Shrine Maiden for Books!」

Upvote 17
Dex-chan lover
Ooh I like this, hopefully though it isn't one of those things that would be impossible coding wise to not tank the servers though.

Dex-chan lover
Well one minor issue, which title should be prioritized?
Often series have multiple alternative titles, for example;
  • Original Engrish: Some titles are already in English, albeit bad English. Sometimes bad enough that there's an alternate title just to fix that.
  • Fan translation: typically accurate to original title and better known to most readers
  • Official English publishing: comes later in series life, so not well know and may be completely different from original title (Well known example: 'Detective Conan' => 'Case Closed'). There's also sometimes the situation where the title was left as romaji.
Also I don't think the database currently distinguishes between fans titles from official ones.

Contributor
Here's the problem:
I do not speak Japanese, and remembering Japanese titles is really really hard for me.

Solution:
Give me the setting to display titles preferably in the language I chose (maybe even by user rating).

For example:
Instead of

The english title I can actually recognize
Will be possible in the future after the title rework. Plan currently seems to be that every title can have "primary title" in every langue. Alt titles will continue to function more or less the same. Along with that change part of the plan is to allow users to set a preferred "primary title" language.

No timeline or ETA has been announced or discussed.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
As @RogueKitsune said, it's a planned future feature that'll come along with other localisation changes.

Broadly - one primary title per language, infinite alt titles per language, user chooses what languages they want to see.

Mod note - moved this post into the existing thread.

Hello.
You see, most of manga have english name, yes?
And in "update bar" it shows only romanji name (thank the gods not truly Japanese name).
It would be nice if you could choose, what name of series you want to show there - like, start from english name.

For example:
this manga ( https://mangadex.org/title/5c3e27c4-2ff1-4b66-968e-8b813653192e/isekai-ryouridou ) has 7 alternative names (actually 8, since there is romanji name like in the link):
Cooking in Another World
Cooking With Wild Game
Different World Cuisine
異世界料理道
Hidangan di Dunia Lain
Готовка в другом мире
พ่อครัวมือใหม่ผจญภัยต่างโลก

In Updates bar, it shows Isekai Ryouridou - but would be easier to known, which manga is which (since, let's be honest, there are many mangas named very similiar), to have option to "tick" one of listed names, and it would be name showed in Updates page.

I hope what I wrote is understable of what I want to suggest and possible to implement.
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a reason for Korean and Chinese titles being properly translated but not Japanese ones?

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
Is there a reason for Korean and Chinese titles being properly translated but not Japanese ones?
All three languages have original and romanized variant tags on MD, I don't understand the question.

All three languages have original and romanized variant tags on MD, I don't understand the question.
A relatively large portion of the Korean and Chinese original titles are translated to English instead of simply transcribed despite having no official translation that I can find.

Dex-chan lover
A relatively large portion of the Korean and Chinese original titles are translated to English instead of simply transcribed despite having no official translation that I can find.
I have created entries in MD and the titles depends of the users, is not something done automatically, in the report function you can suggest info to expand them

Contributor
What do you mean transcribed ?

The main title is not the only title you can find alt titles in other languages on the title's main page.

I think a lot of people prefer to put the romaji than the english TL of the title, because otaku vibe~~. :)

Dex-chan lover
I can't wait for this to be a thing. Someone's been running around changing a bunch of series with translated English titles into transliterated romanji/Japanese and it's infuriating. I don't care about stupid weeb cred, I care about being able to remember or recognize what a series is by its title, which I can't do when it's like a whole paragraph of Japanese and I only know maybe one of those words. I'm coming for translated manga because I don't have the time or energy to learn Japanese. I shouldn't be forced to learn it just to recognize what I'm reading by its title because some stuffed-up uber-nerds think that people should only know a series by its "original" name and not what some "heathen" translator decided was the best version in English.

Bumping for interest.
If its a series I haven't been watching recently to be aware of what the recent cover is, I have to click through to the page to see what it is. It's very annoying at this point, especially so when it's a manga I'm following but don't feel like catching up on right now. It's such a waste of time.
As much as I wish to know nipponese, I can't remember all the nihongo names, only some of them.
EDIT: An example of this is https://mangadex.org/title/a1c58fbc-d805-4964-99fb-12b8fd07ec53/hakui-no-eiyuu which changed from English to Romaji just today.

Group Leader
It would also be amazing if the latest english cover picture could be used instead of the japanese one when available. me spending my time trying to grab the highest quality english cover version would become worth it

Sometimes a series I follow will have it's default name switched from its English name to its Japanese or Korean name, or vice versa. It can be pretty annoying/confusing. I'd love if there were an option to select default languages for titles in your follow list and follow updates list both to avoid this problem and to have relative uniformity in my user experience.

mod note - merged into existing thread

Last edited by a moderator:
I really need this feature to make sense of my library, thanks for adding it to the backlog.

Dex-chan lover
Every time I see a manga that I started reading change its name from the English version to the Japanese one, I cry inside, and there is still nothing I can do about it.
We come to a scanlation website because we don't speak the original languages, to me it makes no sense at all to change a perfectly readable name into an untranslated version.

I really hope the team is prioritizing this option, even if it's just to match one of the translation languages we have set, with a naive frontend implementation that just takes the first match.

Contributor
Which is against site rules, but it seems Korean and Chinese get a pass.

2.4.1. The language set for a title should reflect the official or officially localized name for that language region.

Site rules allow only two options for the main title:

1. ORIGINAL language title
2. An OFFICAL localized title

If the English title of a Korean title isn't an official English localization, then it is against the rules to use it for the main title. Same goes for any title. If the English title of a Japanese manga isn't an official localization, it is against the site rules to use it as the main title.

(FWIW, I imagine some folks would be equally frustrated if someone changed an unofficial English title to an official Indonesian title, even though that would be totally in line with the site rules.)

I'm really looking forward to user-preference titles to put all this behind us and let everyone be happy!

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I'm glad this was planned, since I came to make the suggestion. It's REALLY annoying when english titles randomly get changed to romanji titles.

Users who are viewing this thread