Do you prefer Dub or The Original one ?

• Dub

Votes: 16 10.9%
  • Original one

Votes: 131 89.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dex-chan lover
SNK I think I dropped due to bad acting and the pronunciation thing. Like, how'd they fuck up the European names as well? lol
I don't watch dubs (except for Cowboy Bepoop), but holy fuck there was one scene I heard was so bad in SnK that I had to look it up. Eren's dub VA is unbearable.

Season 3 Part 2 (Episode 55) Spoilers. Timestamp: 6:59. (Not really spoilers but still spoiler tagged):
It's supposed to be an emotional scene, but the "YeAh, HeLl YeAh" just makes me laugh instead. "YeAh, HeLl YeAh" is an inside joke for my friends and I now. It's a decent meme because it can be used in various contexts.

Another thing I've heard about Funi dubs is that apparently they take liberties with their translations, going so far as to even insert sociopolitically charged dialogue in them. The biggest example I've heard of was the dub of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, but I'm sure there are others out there.

mostly subs for me, but depends a little on how complex and how much focus I want to give.

@gomichandesu I think said it well. Often when I have watched a dub the VA's don't seem to put as much effort into or maybe they don't realize how to play it.

On a side note, @gomichandesu if I'm right your avatar is from a oneshot I read. What's the name?

Group Leader
I prefer original, for the most part. Some dubs can be very good, but I prefer to watch original whenever possible. It might have been an issue a few years ago when my Japanese skills were Hnngggghhh but now I have an excuse to listen to Japanese voices. The more listening practice I get, no matter how much or where, the better.

Some dubs that stood out to me were:
- Case Closed; the name change was not necessary, but not too bad
- Mega Man NT Warriors; actually this was surprisingly good, compared to the others at the time. Lan was voiced by the same voice actor of Light Yagami.
- Lucky Star, Haruhi, DBZ, Naruto, Death Note, etc.
- Inuyasha was okay, I think, could have been better, but not bad.

Tales and FF games have good dubs, too, overall.
As for movies, I think unlike anime and games, they tend to have worse dubs. I'd rather listen to Chinese voices + subtitles, than English dubs.

Mostly subbed originals for me.
But it depends.

A dub has the benefit that your eyes don't need to focus to the bottom of the screen.
With a sub you might miss some details that happen in the animation while reading.

But a bad dub might forget to add some relevant background sounds.
And when you watch different series that are voiced by the same voice actors it can give a weird feeling.

In short, subs often feel more real.
But dubs can be more enjoyable if done well.

Group Leader
@schlo
ayye a man of taste. Bakemono Recchan

@bigtiddyoneesan
oh god lmfao, HeLl YeAh hahaha
Yeah Funimation's always had my panties in a twist. They've been especially notorious of using very inexperienced VAs as of recently, but I'll still never forgive them for the stunt they pulled(are probably still pulling?) where they'd snatch up the American rights to an anime, do fucking nothing with it, but send mass take downs to anyone fansubbing it. Like fuck you, either give me a way to purchase it, allow us peons to do our fan translations, or stop squatting on the copyright ya bastards.
Probs giving too much personal info away, but I live pretty close to Funimation HQ. It reeks of bad energy lol.

I ironically do actually like the Detective Conan dub though... Not a fan of the name changes and westernization of it all, but the voice acting is at least pretty good, and there have been a few lulz worthy adlibs.

Dex-chan lover
@gomichandesu
I ironically do actually like the Detective Conan dub though
Those long running anime usually stand out as decent dubs, at least for me. Most notable ones that come to mind are Pokemon, One Piece, Naruto, and Dragonz Ballz Z.

Funimation is also dubbing Uzaki-chan, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they 'improve' it (from other sources ofc, no fucking way am I sitting down and watching full episodes).

All I can really say with dubs is that they really don't make them like they used to.
Probs giving too much personal info away, but I live pretty close to the town Ghost Stories takes place in. It reeks of spoopiness lol.

Fed-Kun's army
It depends on the anime for me, I wouldn't dream of watching the dub of Konosuba when the sub exists, while I prefer the dub of Fruits Basket to the sub (maybe because of nostalgia). So I think it depends on which increases the enjoyment of the anime for me (and of course the quality of the availiable subs/dubs).

@Lo0py

I totally agree. I wouldn't ever think about watching dub of attack on titans when we got sub, but then i watch dub my hero academia but I'm still ok with sub. so i totally get you.

Dubs are good about ten to twenty percent of the time. It just depends on what series you're watching, Whether you care if it's in a different language and your tastes in voices.

Subs
Dubs tend to screw jokes, don't transmit the same feeling than the originals and have poor localization or, even worse, politically changed stuff (who wants politics stuff being thrown in their anime??)
Also, the huge delay between the screening and the dubbing and the small library (in PT-BR specifically, this might change with the coming of Funimation in December) makes dubs an uninteresting option comparing to subs
The only exceptions would be some old nostalgia dubs that I grew up listening to
The ones that I most remember are Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho (the best localization ever made), Dragon Ball (can't stand to hear the original japanese voice of Goku, the dub is far by better) and Gakkou no Kaidan (the non americanized lolz dub)
And the bigger exception, Sakura Card Captors (Don't ask me why they changed the original name order in my country)
The brazilian dub added some lines of dialogue that didn't existed in the original, they are so remarkable that even the manga release in here (both the 2001 and 2012 versions) have them

Other than Black Butler (and Code Geass. It’s more dramatic that way, especially when Lelouch talks. You can hear the power and determination in his voice, kudos to the voice actor.), I don’t really watch anime in dub. Since they really did a fantastic job with their British accents and tones. You don’t really hear pitchy and over accentuated voices speaking. In other words, it’s nicer and more comfortable to hear it in its main language and maybe, if you watch anime long enough... You might be able to understand the Japanese a little better :p
But don’t get me wrong, there ARE animes out there that doesn’t sound cringy when dubbed. If they can improve their art every year, I suppose they could improve the dubbing quality. :D

Dex-chan lover
Welp, since Genshin Impact has 4 languages, Chinese, English, Korean, Japanese
and I assume the original language is Chinese
I shall change my answer to
"I prefer Japanese dub more, but some Eng dubs are good"
"I like Animax Eng dub"

Group Leader
Oh, it's just an OVA, but Maverick Hunter X has really good dub, too. Though, X's voice actor can overdo it at times, he's overall good.

Fed-Kun's army
I prefer subs in the majority of cases. The only times I find dubs better is when the characters on screen are obviously are European/in Europe, America or Fantasy-Europe(think Fullmetal Alchemist, not isekai). I find characters on screen speaking in English in what is obviously Tokyo as jarring as characters on screen in Vegas speaking Japanese.

There are always exceptions, but that's just what they are, exceptions.

Group Leader
I'll do both, but I'm a bit more biased towards dubs since they don't have the same cliches I find annoying in Japanese voice acting....especially those shrill female vocals.

Dex-chan lover
In general I prefer subs, but there are a few dubs which I prefer. Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, and the very best dub of all time: Hellsing Ultimate. First of all, I love Crispin Freeman, but the most important part was getting all the accents right for the British, Scottish, German and Italian characters in the show. In the Japanese there was no way to put that much detail into the voice acting for English speakers to understand.

Users who are viewing this thread