Does MangaDex block/blacklist certain VPN IP addresses?

Dex-chan lover
Strangest thing happened just now. Came back to my iPad, still connected to the same VPN (Mullvad) server I was using when I was last on MD a few hours prior, refreshed the Updates page, and got a long wait before a “blah blah because server stopped responding” message.

Checked all the IsItDown type sites and they showed MD was up. Tried a different VPN server in the same city and MD loaded fine.

First time this has happened with MD. Did you guys just update to a more aggressive blacklist or was someone spamming you guys from the same IP I was using? Fwiw, the one that got blocked was M247 and the one I’m posting from now is DataCamp.

Solution
We don’t typically permanently block any IP source, however we do regularly issue temporary bans (on the order of 15-30 minutes).

And since we’ve been on the receiving end of rather frequent (D)DoS attacks since the Christmas holidays, and that attackers frequently use VPNs (alongside the brunt of things being usually random compromised devices with no VPN involvement whatsoever) for that stuff, it’s possible you were using a node that was involved in an attack during or just after that.

But the short version remains: we avoid permanent IP blocks where we can. Mainly because temporary blocks work just as well, and also don’t require keeping up with who owns what IP at which specific point in time.
Yuri Enjoyer
Staff
Developer
We don’t typically permanently block any IP source, however we do regularly issue temporary bans (on the order of 15-30 minutes).

And since we’ve been on the receiving end of rather frequent (D)DoS attacks since the Christmas holidays, and that attackers frequently use VPNs (alongside the brunt of things being usually random compromised devices with no VPN involvement whatsoever) for that stuff, it’s possible you were using a node that was involved in an attack during or just after that.

But the short version remains: we avoid permanent IP blocks where we can. Mainly because temporary blocks work just as well, and also don’t require keeping up with who owns what IP at which specific point in time.

Solution

Users who are viewing this thread