Don't mark a chapter as "read" until you've flipped through a certain percentage of the pages.

Power Uploader
I think it'd be nice to not have a chapter marked as "read" until you've actually gone through most of the pages. Let's say, maybe something like 75% of them.

I'll sometimes go into a chapter, and just flip through the first few pages just to get a sense of what the art is like, without actually reading it.
It's a little annoying if, when I decide not to read a series after looking at it, it shows up on my "recently read" list.
Or, maybe I did decide to read a series after looking at it, but I decided to save it for the future instead of reading it immediately... yet there it is, showing up in my "recently read" section, as though I've already read it.

That's why I think 75% is a good percentage to use if MangaDex was to implement this system. Admittedly, there is often a page or two at the end of a chapter that a reader might not go through, but if the person has gone through more than 75% of a chapter, there's a pretty good chance they've read the entire thing, and if a person has gone through less than that, then it shouldn't be an issue to not have it automatically marked as "read" anyway, since they definitely didn't read the entire thing.

Obviously the manual "read" markers should be kept for users who have read things previously and would like to manually mark them or unmark them, this suggestion is just for the auto-marking system, and for the "recently read" section.

Dex-chan lover
How would this effect downloads? I like to download my chapters on my phone's Chrome app before reading them and if this is implemented then I'm going to have to manually click every single eye.

At this point now, all I need to do is download and the thing already recognizes that I've read it.

Plus I don't think it's that much of a hassle to remember the chapter that you left unfinished last night.

Dex-chan lover
Given that we can manually un-mark chapters, I don't see much benefit in this change. I've repeatedly un-marked chapters.

Users who are viewing this thread