Dorei wo Choukyoushite Harem Tsukuru - Ch. 48

Group Leader
I notice you ignored every question I asked.
Because I'm not under any obligation to answer you, especially not when you try to start an argument with logical fallacies. But I'll address some things anyway. Taking some liberties to make the dialogue flow better and sound more natural in a conversation is in no way a bad translation nor a bad practice, much less comparable to translating things wrong like many others do in, for example, CR shows. This is also true for conveying the same thing using different words or phrases and in no way it changes what the author is trying to say. And:

have I thought
There's your problem, you are not the whole world, and you do not get to decide what is right and wrong based on flawed premises. You're just getting upset that I didn't use words or phrases that you, in particular, like. Whether I did a good job or not in taking some liberties is a different matter altogether and not the point I'm trying to make and it certainly isn't the point you originally tried to make.

Can’t speak for the fox
Well, as I've said in the past I do like to translate to the best of my abilities but I'm not perfect and I certainly don't consider myself a "liberal" translator. And the fox likes her onii-chans and onee-chans in the dialogue. :wooow:

Dex-chan lover
Taking some liberties to make the dialogue flow better and sound more natural in a conversation is in no way a bad translation nor a bad practice, much less comparable to translating things wrong like many others do in, for example, CR shows.
That's the thing: You didn't translate it! You made up a similar line, then slotted it in. But the job is "translation" not "creative writing". The fact that you're not some bottom-of-the-barrel commie trying to revive his failed writing career doesn't change the fact that you didn't convey to us what they actually said. I woke up this morning, thought about it for a couple of minutes, then went ahead and took a crack at it:
His excuse is that the line sounds stilted in its original form, but with a bit of work, the exchange could have been

"The Strong take from the Weak!"

"The leeway nobles get isn't some rule of nature!"

Tell me that's not a perfectly serviceable line right there, while also preserving what they said.

Conia still expresses her might-makes-right philosophy, Rubery still corrects her indignantly, while pointing out that view on the topic is crude, and animalistic. The only thing we lose is her explicitly telling Conia not to confuse privilege with natural law, and instead, she just plainly states they're not.

And you've responded twice, but never actually answered the original question: Why not?!

Really. Hacks including political messaging in dialogue is an obvious issue, but the real issue in all of this is that it's not what they're saying. They make up lines for whatever reason, then, to add insult to injury, the lines are all about their political agenda. If Dragon Maid had actually stopped dead in its tracks to bitch about The Patriarchy, we'd bitch at everyone but the translators.

There's your problem, you are not the whole world,
No, but I am one of the better translators out there.
and you do not get to decide what is right and wrong based on flawed premises.
The premise is that people want to know what the characters are saying, and it's your job to tell them. Otherwise, they're no worse off just staring at the page and imagining the lines. Do you think people don't want to know, or do you think telling them isn't your job?
You're just getting upset that I didn't use words or phrases that you, in particular, like.
I'm annoyed that you didn't use the words they used. I'm upset that your response to criticism is "Fuck you, you're not my dad". My work with Cheeky Gyaru's left me with some braindead complaints about my translations from people; I'd like to think I've taken them with more grace than this.
Well, as I've said in the past I do like to translate to the best of my abilities but I'm not perfect and I certainly don't consider myself a "liberal" translator.
That's what I'm here to help with.

Dex-chan lover
@BuyVelomobiles ever thought that @Sullieman doesn't want the help.
Ever thought that that's not my problem? He's not immune to criticism, and if he fucks up, he's going to get it. He can either take it and improve, or he can stagnate.
if you don't like their work, you can always do your own scanlation. Lead by example.
Exactly how many series do you think I'm doing right now? I'm about to upload Shinoda-san, because the last guys were bad, and missed a whole chapter, I'm doing Cheeky Gyaru, because @luigiymario2 and the other groups fucked it up, and I hate the author... Not to mention all the others I'm working on that aren't specifically related to my urge to see something done competently.

Do you expect me to snipe every last work I see with a flaw in it? Do I just never get to tell someone to do better, and how to do better because, technically, I can do it better myself? Also, how will doing it myself encourage them to improve? Seems to me if telling them they made a mistake isn't getting them to improve, then hurting their egos by sniping the work is definitely not going to get them to reflect.

Dude...
You made your point, Sullieman said he doesn't want to continue the conversation, you can stop now.

Dex-chan lover
jwAQWIz.png

Perfection.

Also damn, surprised no one else here noted yet but: is this the first time we got Master's name? Weine, huh? Seems like Master will no longer just be a snickering background piece to his daugher-wives.

we alrdy know he was duke for long time lol.... the fact rubbery school are for noble only ..and the fact other kid cant make fun of her because her dad its high rank noble
We just knew he was nobility. We didn't know that he was/is literally as high ranking as you can get without being the King himself. It varies by story and world, but also note that there tends to only be 1 Duke per kingdom. He may even be hiding his rank and was once a Grand Duke in the Empire.

and thus even if he was related to the monarch's family (is it a king or an emperor), it's probably a distant relation?
I mean, titles can and do get revoked so odds are his family isn't that far off from the King if he still holds the title. I'm expecting that he's the first generation to break off the empire though.

Dex-chan lover
Well, I've never translated/changed things to fit my personal bias and world views or "spice things up" because "Japanese is boring" unlike some of them.
Hey, as long as you have that mindset you'll never stoop to "age gap" levels lol (unless you do it professionally and have a shitty manager. But Can't blame you, gotta eat somehow). Translation is an art, and scarier than that: it's an art transforming someone else's art. That ironically why it's been easier as of late to generate literal visual art than make sensible machine translation for the past decade+.

That's all a long winded way to say thank you, and that I think you are approaching the work the right way, interpreting while keeping respect for the original writing while trying to convey it to others.

Group Leader
Hey, as long as you have that mindset you'll never stoop to "age gap" levels lol (unless you do it professionally and have a shitty manager. But Can't blame you, gotta eat somehow). Translation is an art, and scarier than that: it's an art transforming someone else's art. That ironically why it's been easier as of late to generate literal visual art than make sensible machine translation for the past decade+.

That's all a long winded way to say thank you, and that I think you are approaching the work the right way, interpreting while keeping respect for the original writing while trying to convey it to others.
Thanks, man, I appreciate it.

Double-page supporter
@BuyVelomobiles ever thought that @Sullieman doesn't want the help. I always tell translators, if you don't like their work, you can always do your own scanlation. Lead by example.
He did just that and it turned out worse than Kyukei's version LMAO!

I'm with Kyukei in this one. Some time, you must take some liberties while translating from one language to another since there's no direct way to convey the same sentence in the target language. Adjusting, the sentence's structure or using phase that flows more naturally in the target language are, by no mean, a BAD practice as long as the core messages can be correctly conveyed. Many people mistook literal translation as a good translation and that makes their works unreadable.

TLDR: Kyukei already did a splendid job here while the person who nitpick him was blinded by his ego and it showed in his work.

Sure, but I may have forgotten some of the particulars. I only got a few chapters in, but it's basically what we've seen so far from the main series here, minus the fat slaver bastard from the 'zero' chapter. In the novel,
he still leaves his dutchy (I think he was from a duke's family), and sets out to another town to avoid succession shenanigans.

While traveling with a caravan, they hook up with another caravan that has a slaver in it. The slaver wanted the (former?) Duke's son's protection detail to help them too, and offered slaves as payment. Wine initially refused, but each chapter he comes across each of the girls in some state of distress, and accepts them.

This is where I get spotty, but I think Daisy was emaciated and barely surviving until he took her in and helped her, Conia being Conia was wild like a cat, went after some of the Wine's food, and caught a sword attack from a guard with her teeth. He liked that, since she reminded him of a cat. He did decide he'd also need someone who was smart for some reason, and Ruberry was the only one in a group who could recite a poem he started. A feat, since she didn't really know any languages.

The last (badly google translated) chapter I read was that one, and I think they'd have just made it to their destination.
I think you just basically solved the reason for the order with that spoiler info.

@ohms Look at his upload history, I think you'll notice a pattern.

Users who are viewing this thread