Doughnuts Under a Crescent Moon - Vol. 2 Ch. 10 - Nameless Heart

Dex-chan lover
@nightshine @Sarsak I doubt it. Her reaction seemed more like fear/anxiety than like just not being into it. Plus that pretty much never happens.
Probably never will--if there's stigma about it there won't be any because of that, and if there isn't, for the majority of the potentially-buying population aces are just not as fun to read about in a romance story because they're the same as everyone else except you subtract one of the ingredients that makes it good.

Fed-Kun's army
PLEASE let it be ace rep. I don't think it will be, but it would be fucking amazing if it was. Like, as far as I've found, there are only two and a half ace characters across basically all of manga. It'd be cool to make that three and a half.

(The two and a half are: The teacher from Kanojo ni Naritai Kimi to Boku, Anonymous from Shimanami Tasogare, and the half being Yuu from Bloom Into You. If there are more, Please share. Stories with ace characters fuck me up.)

Dex-chan lover
@TheFantabulousToast
Even though it's Yuri-Hime, it's already defied a lot of the standard plot devices, so it's anyone's guess where things will go.

I'll be happy if everyone finds happiness by the end in one way or another, but it would be nice to have some good ace representation. There's so many misconceptions out there. Seriously, I've had to explain to people how it's possible to feel loneliness without falling in love before. (Sorry I can't help share other characters.)

Fed-Kun's army
@icekatze
I'm not totally sure on the terminology, but in the framework of sexual attraction and romantic attraction being independent things, it's totally possible for a lesbian to also be asexual. Homoromantic asexual, I guess? As opposed to hetero/aromantic. It's probably even more complex than that, this sort of thing is way more weird and complicated than our language allows us to describe efficiently.

Dex-chan lover
The good part is that she is confused with her relationship with Asahi, but she hasn't being in trouble with herself that much lately, it's like shee has started to comprend and appreciate herself more and that's is good. If you read the first chapters she was really bad with herself but not anymore

Ah, I knew that this author would use their tropes well with Fuuka. She's a little overbearing but felt bad that she overstepped her prodding at Hinako. Ultimately, she's served as another push to make Hinako start thinking more about how her relationship with Asahi since Subaru can't do everything even though she's wingmanning super hard.

Hinako still seems to latch on to anything that people call "normal" and turn it into "correct", though.

Yall thought Fuuka was a love rival, but she was actually just another wing girl lol.

Really great chapter, and one that provided more depth to everybody involved. (Also, ace rep plz.)

Aggregator gang
@sg1721: Hinako is probably going to struggle with that issue for years to come. It's clearly been conditioned into her for most of her life by society in general and her mother in particular that she has to do certain things to be "normal," and that if she isn't "normal" she's "wrong" and some sort of "freak." That sort of psychological training is not something that can be overcome quickly or easily, and even when she pushes past it, it may still affect her thinking for the rest of her life even when she knows it isn't true.

Dex-chan lover
is it possible to be conscious of mere hand brushes but cannot fathom kisses and such?
where do you draw the line for physical intimacy? what is romance without it?
even ace people occasionally have sex drives, don't they?
may she's not ace, maybe she's just insecure

Just my two cents but the I can’t is probably auto-suggestion, putting barriers on oneself than anything else. Not just because it would be same sex relationship but because Hinako obviously seem to think she is bad at romance. She’s probably afraid if it turns into romance, things will go wrong the way they did when she tried to force it with guys. She’s only processing new ideas and may not realized why her previous relationships wouldn’t work

Fed-Kun's army
@elefantine97
There isn't really a simple answer to that, because asexuality is a spectrum in itself, and everyone on that spectrum experiences asexuality differently. Some ace people are sex-repulsed, where physical intimacy is undesirable at best and traumatic at worst. Other ace people, as you point out, do have sex drives, and even engage in physical intimacy. One isn't any more or less ace than another, because ace is an umbrella term covering a wide spectrum of distinct orientations.

For me, the metaphor I like to go with is coffee. Some folks drink coffee, some people don't. Some folks love it, some folks hate it. Some will drink it of offered, but won't go seeking it out. Other people don't drink it, but they like the smell. That's where I land.

In this case, she certainly could simply be insecure. I'm reading asexuality into this because many of the hallmarks of "closeted asexual" are there (dating not out of a desire for companionship but because you feel like you're supposed to, being miserable while in relationships even when you like your partner, feeling broken for not feeling attraction, etc.), and also because I'm doing some wishful thinking. Seeing asexuality represented in art means a lot to me, and I can literally count the number of times it's happened on one hand. It'd be nice, yaknow?

Dex-chan lover
@Toast - are you lithro?
speaking of ace rep, there's one in Bloom Into You, one in this https://mangadex.org/title/34693/kanojo-ni-naritai-kimi-to-boku, one in this https://mangadex.org/title/15976/shimanami-tasogare
ah crap i can't think of anything else
i think there's a market for an interesting ace or aro main character, but maybe not aroace or fully so cuz that'd kill off all potentials for any juicy romantic stuff that readers are thirsty for
romance as a genre or even as subplot are pretty prevalent, huh, pretty much everything has em to some degree, even horror and sports
keeping that prevalence in mind, i have my reservations about Hinako being ace
still, i look forward to more concrete development and i hope u get to see more rep in the future~

Users who are viewing this thread