Dungeon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatte Iru Darou ka Gaiden - Sword Oratoria - Vol. 16 Ch. 70 - Memorial 1

Group Leader
It doesn't matter what kind of backstory he has, it still doesn't excuse the way h treated the death of his Familia members or how he treated everyone else after that.

The tragedy in Sword Oratoria shows you that war is hell and the world can be quite cruel. He is the consequence of such a world. Bell on the other hand is a naive little shit who would be one of those conscripts who thought they would steamroll over the enemy and dies a quick, pointless death in real life. So in a way I think Bette is a better character, but not a more sympathetic one

Dex-chan lover
Waaah! Bete's a mean person, he doesn't hold hands with everyone and sing kumbaya. Waaah! Go. Fuck. Yourselves. Ya little bitches

Dex-chan lover
I thinks hes making too big a deal out of things here, he didnt lose everything. See, he got half of his friend back, right?

Dex-chan lover
@Rhin what do you mean lmao he literally lost everything. Friends, family, whole tribe. He's literally Sasuke except Itachi is gone too. Pretty sure he's using Loki familia as a sharpening tool for himself at the moment. He'll change for sure in the future but I don't think he'd consider them as friends as of this moment. He's still an asshat shit attitude wolf person.

Dex-chan lover
They didn't die because they were weak. They died because they were dumb. Their "wisdom" apparently didn't include "when you're outmatched, run!".

Look at all these big boys defending Bette "im strong so i get to act this way" Loga. There's a big difference between being naive and being a decent person, he doesn't have to hold hands and sing kumbaya to be the latter. This has gotta be the edgiest character in the story so far. He might as well wear a jacket with a skull in the back and a "shut up weakling, you don't understand my pain" in the front. Lots of people have the same belief as him, his mindset really ain't that special, and yet he's unique because he's also a massive dickhead. Closest excuse I can give him is that maybe his personality is a defensive mechanism born out of trauma. But then again he acts like an asshole even when there's nothing to defend from? How does putting everyone down reinforce his belief of "dog eats dog"? Is that what the eating part is supposed to be? Like, you get confidence by taking it from others? He's been in the Loki familia for 6 years. 6 years he's been with people way stronger than him who don't feel the need to step on others' self-esteem? As his philosophy goes, they should be treating him like their bitch, no?

Also, I don't know if this is poor writing, or just bad timing, or the author had to double down or something, but man this backstory was way too weak. It felt forced, was terribly generic and wholy uneccessary. If it was supposed to sway people or tug at our heartstring then.. yikes.

Dex-chan lover
@Rhin LOL ok it really flew past my head. I thought the friends you meant was Loki familia but you meant the half of what's left of his tribe.

To be fair the "friends" was misleading lol, it was family and tribe more than friends.

Dex-chan lover
No no, check the page were he is hugging his childhood friend, at a point the camera angle changes, and you can see shes only got her upper body left, from the waist and below theres nothing.

Double-page supporter
Oh, look, the dog has a sob story.
So what? Lots of characters and even real people had it worse and got out better.

Being an asshole is his choice.

Just because Bete talks shit doesn’t mean he doesn’t care. Dude goes out of his way to save weaker adventurers all the time. You can already tell that they didn’t show his eyes in the last chapter when he was talking down to Rine for a reason and why Ais had a shocked expression on her face. Bete’s a better person than Lily lmao, she left set up a trap for Bell and left him to die after stealing his dagger. But all people complain about is Bete when the worse thing he did is talk shit? 🤔Oh wait, he’s not a waifu bait character that’s why.

Double-page supporter
Betes backstroy is tragic, yes.
He is also a complete douchebag, yes.

I get where the author is aiming though, he's an unlikeable dick because he's afraid of getting close to people again, clearly and is pushing them away.

It doesn't justify his behaviour by any means, but it's at least understandable psychologically.
Sadly people are like this and if anything, it's a factor that makes the story more realistic. Not everyone can be really kind and happy.

Yeah yeah, very sad, I'm sorry for your loss. Doesn't excuse the fact that you are a bastard, scumbag asshole. Go die in a hole.

Users who are viewing this thread