Dungeon no Osananajimi - Vol. 3 Ch. 22 - My Childhood Friend's Happiness Is Our Happiness

Dex-chan lover
Who the hell is "Stan" and why the hell is he all over this translation screwing up and confusing context? What the hell is "Stanning" anyhow?

Dex-chan lover
But idols in Japan are often specifically discouraged or prohibited from getting into relationship because the idol industry fosters and monetizes the behavior of those obsessive fans who believe that an idol having a relationship is a betrayal or violates their "purity" or whatever.
Also because talents that are married, well, has obligation to their partner/family, which would take less time from work and thus would make less money for the agency.

Dex-chan lover
OMFG THANK GOD THIS ARC IS OVER LMAO
This arc is finally over. Feels like it's been forever.
Is it finally over? I haven't actually been reading the pages for the last 5 chapters at least. This gag has been beat to death.
I'm glad to see the end of this arc.
This shit's finally over.
Let us all rejoice in the fact this crappy arc in an otherwise great series is over. I swore it was like Lamb Chops Playalong with how it would never end.

Also I'm amazed to see people in here have never heard of Stanning. I thought it was a pretty ubiquitious word used in most western countries to mean hardcore/obsessive fans?

Wow, I'm amazed at how many people here are so blinded by their love for Japan that they can't tell the difference between Idol culture there and in the West.

Yes, hardcore fans have this behavior everywhere, you're right.

But it's only in Japan that it's normalized and tolerated, even downright encouraged (because of money). Don't forget that if #metoo virtually didn't reach them, it's not because they're too far, it's because they don't care at all.

Dex-chan lover
She actually hanged the pictures on the wall.
Van ain't gonna have a dull moment while in that room.

Dex-chan lover
I still don't get why people continue to use that word to describe themselves.
It's a portmanteau of the words Stalker and Fan.

At that point, they are openly admitting to stalking someone.

Dex-chan lover
I hate the word "stanning". And curious if that is really the correct translation since that word is very korean in origin.
Anyone good at jp who can pop by and check what they actually said, to reassure me that was really what they said? Or tell me what they were saying instead?
The slang made this almost impossible to read
What slang?

Dex-chan lover
Also I'm amazed to see people in here have never heard of Stanning. I thought it was a pretty ubiquitious word used in most western countries to mean hardcore/obsessive fans?
Nah, it is very niche and I have only found it in the plains surrounding the weeb cultural plains.
As far as I know it is very korean in nature too, and you mostly (though it's becomign less and less true) only see it in translated manwhas and not mangas.
Also afaik, iirc it originates from the k-pop fanbase (hence why it is (to me) usually found around korean subcultures)? Also some relation to eminem?

Dex-chan lover
But it's only in Japan that it's normalized and tolerated, even downright encouraged (because of money).
This is false. South Korea and other parts of East Asia also have this same idol mentality. In fact, I'd argue the idol industry there is possibly worse than it is in Japan where facial reconstruction, plastic surgeries, and extreme diets/malnourishment are a norm. The SK idol industry also has a very large US following of netizens, so I'd say it's normalized and tolerated, if not encouraged in the west as well. Stan culture is everywhere and the entertainment industry can be gruesome regardless of the country, not to say Japan in particular doesn't have its fair share of issues, but the ones you listed here are not something unique to it.

Users who are viewing this thread