EDENS ZERO - Vol. 12 Ch. 97 - Now is the Time

Group Leader
What a smart mangaka would do:
Make a repeat of the invasion, but this time the characters have knowledge from the future, so every encounter with the enemies will play similarly to the original ones, but when faced with the techniques that led to their defeats, the heroes will now know what to expect and either counter or successfully run away. They stick to the previous timeline as closely as possible, since they know what is going to happen and can create strategies around it, until the most opportune moment to create a major difference between the timelines so they can actually succeed his time. Dangerous scenarios play too close to comfort to the original one to create tension, and some of their counter measures don't work, causing a repeat of the original encounters to increase tension.

What Mashima Hiro does:
Ass-pulls - the events in the timelines don't match AT ALL, new backstory for a character, tortured girl wasn't even there to begin with, and now Shiki can turn SSJ because he wants to be friends with the guy that killed him in 29.

Dex-chan lover
@YamiryuuZero
What a smart reader will do:
Drop a manga that he thinks is bad and spend his time reading better things.

What you did:
Look for faults when there is none and waste his time reading it just to bash the mangaka🙄

Group Leader
@Sonaldo There is entertainment in watching a bad story unfold, and discussing the issues can be just as , if not more entertaining.
Were it not the case, Mother's Basement and DigiBro wouldn't have made a killing bashing SAO for so many years.

Besides, if you point out the mistakes, you can help the artist improve. I know I want feedback on what I'm doing wrong to improve Succubus Shougakusei.
Hell, whenever I submitted a manga to the mangaka contests held by Young Magazine, the editors would always point out what I was doing wrong and
encourage me to do better next time. And guess what? That made my following stories that much better.

There is also value in learning from a bad example. Instead of just sticking to stories that work, I can learn a lot by reading stories that couldn't avoid
certain pitfalls. And for readers who don't create anything, it helps them understand how much care and effort was put into the good stories and
make them appreciate the good story tellers even more.

Don't try to simp for the mangaka, Sonaldo. You're not being helpful to anyone.

Dex-chan lover
@YamiryuuZero

The problem is so many of your critiques are senseless.

>the events in the timelines don't match AT ALL, new backstory for a character, tortured girl wasn't even there to begin with, and now Shiki can turn SSJ because he wants to be friends with the guy that killed him in 29

Like how is all of this ass-pull? Of course the timeline dont match. Its a new one genius. New backstory is asspull? When did we get a backstory for Draken? This is the first. And so what if the bitch vtuber isn't there? How is that an asspull? Again genius, this is a new timeline. Anything could happen. And your last point is literally not an asspull. It was stated from the beginning that Shiki was raised by the Demon lord and his friends matter so much to him. He didnt turn because he wanted to be friends with Draken. It's because he saw his friends dying 😑

And your "smart mangaka" points are honestly pretty dumb.

>Make a repeat of the invasion, but this time the characters have knowledge from the future, so every encounter with the enemies will play similarly to the original ones, but when faced with the techniques that led to their defeats, the heroes will now know what to expect and either counter or successfully run away.

They did genius. Except this time instead of facing the same opponent they mixed it up according to their abilities, creating new situations and fights. I mean your method sounds dangerously stupid and pretty repetitive. How is that smart? 😂

>causing a repeat of the original encounters to increase tension.

Repetitive things isn't enjoyable genius. I rather see something new since you know, this is a new timeline and all. 😐

Like seriously man. You just sounded like you're just following the bandwagon and want the manga to follow your "cleverly" constructed plot.

Don't try to follow the bandwagon mindlessly. You're not being helpful to anyone.😋

Group Leader
@Sonaldo If my take is what you had a problem with, then you should have addressed it. Instead, you told me to drop the manga altogether.
True, I could have worded them better, but my critique of the way the story progress isn't invalid.

In world 29, Labilia had shown signs of being heavily tortured, but when it's revealed it was Amira on 30, she is unscathed.
On 30, the real Labilia is hiding where Homura found her stripper clothes on 29, yet she isn't there the first time around.
Sylph's brother is guarding Drakken's most vulnerable room instead of being a front liner like on 29.
Shiki only knew about Overdrive on 29 and never managed to pull it there, yet he's capable of pulling it out on 30.
Shiki didn't turn into Overdrive mode on 29, despite knowing Drakken would kill his friends there, but he turns in 30. Guess he didn't care that much about his friends in 29?
Hell, he's even put in the same place and same situation as he was in 29, except back then, the situation was far more dire than it is in 30, as there's no time leap yet,
Drakken had thwarted all their victories, took over Edens Zero, captured all his friends and didn't even break a sweat doing so.
There's only so much information Rebecca had known about from world 29, and most of what I listed are not things she experienced or was shown being told about.
Yet, all those changes occur without input from the one person who is capable of altering the flow of events.

My alternate take was just hastily put together to, sure, make a snarky comment at how Mashima tends to write his stories. Yeah, it was poorly done,
but at least I can acknowledge the shortcomings of a story when I see them. Mashima apparently cannot, as he keeps using the same tired tropes he
is known for all the way back from Raven Master. Rebecca is a retread of Ellie, Shiki is single-minded friendship-focused like Natsu, Weisz is another
"maker" like Gray and Musica, torture is meaningless as it gets undone, dead characters are not really dead, etc.

Even the fights follow a very distinctive and repetitive pattern: Characters face an opponent they cannot win no matter what the first time around.
When they face the opponent again, they win. Elza was known precisely for this - she gets beaten up by her enemies, changes into all of her armors
and continues getting beaten, then she changes into the one armor that doesn't do anything and wins. Homura faces the exact same opponent she
had faced before, but this time she wins. She didn't win the first time around because she didn't think of using her Wind Cutter sword in that fight,
but she doesn't even have the excuse of not having it in hand because she can materialize her own swords at will! Then she can blow winds better than
Sylph, something she couldn't in 29, but can do in 30 because now Mashima decided it was time for Homura to win.

Back to Shiki turning "Super Saiyan", he's even put in the same place and same situation as he was in 29, except back then, the situation was far more dire than it is in 30,
as there's no time leap yet, Drakken had thwarted all their victories, took over Edens Zero, captured all his friends and didn't even break a sweat do. If being put in such
a dire situation didn't trigger Overdrive, how come now that they have the advantage, he triggers it? And how come he can see the events of a future that was overwritten,
he isn't the one with time leaping powers, Rebecca is!

These are the "ass-pulls" I was talking about. There has been no input from Rebecca to change the events that have been altered outside of the protagonists' range
before they invaded Drakken's ship, yet they have changed by themselves. Shiki can see into an alternate timeline, suddenly there was a spy taking Labilia's place, now
Weisz has a backstory related to Drakken that wasn't there in 29 (despite, narratively speaking, being the best time to introduce it, so he has more stakes from the start
of 30), etc.

Even the time leap thing isn't new for Mashima nor was it well-done in any of the times he attempted. He already did time travel in Fairy Tail, and he ended up retconing
the entire backstory of the Dragon Slayers and the fate of the dragons in the process. Now the dragons didn't disappear on the 7th of the 7th month of 777, giving meaning
to their disappearance, they just THINK the dragons disappeared that day, but in fact all Dragon Slayers were sent 4 thousand years into the future. Then a Lucy from the
future shows up and says one of the two new Dragon Slayers that were retconned into existing now will turn evil and travel to the past to get dragons to invade the present.
This explanation isn't as convoluted as Mashima's writing actually is!

So, what do I mean by "keeping the events close to the original timeline?" Essentially what time travel stories are well suited for - keeping the flow of events similar enough so the
characters and the audience can easily keep track of past, present and future events while giving the characters a chance to get better results than the original outcome. Harry
Potter did this with the duo making small alterations here and there to keep the flow of events the exact same as their known timeline, while they manage to save the hippogryph
from being executed at Hagrid's house, Sirius and Harry from the Dementors and break Sirius out of Azkaban. Given the story Mashima is telling here, I believe this would be the
best approach, making Rebecca's knowledge of future events and match ups the deciding factor in their new victories.

If you have been following Mashima for as long as I have, you are probably familiar with all of these pitfalls he keeps throwing himself into. He is well known for these patterns.
Now, you can tell from my comment here why I didn't spend more time adjusting my original comment. If I had to put everything into words, I'd end up writing exactly this.
It was far easier just making that snarky comment and leaving it be.

Dex-chan lover
@YamiryuuZero
Even a comment this long is still stupid though.

>Back to Shiki turning "Super Saiyan", he's even put in the same place and same situation as he was in 29, except back then, the situation was far more dire than it is in 30,
as there's no time leap yet, Drakken had thwarted all their victories, took over Edens Zero, captured all his friends and didn't even break a sweat do. If being put in such
a dire situation didn't trigger Overdrive, how come now that they have the advantage, he triggers it? And how come he can see the events of a future that was overwritten,
he isn't the one with time leaping powers, Rebecca is!
>Shiki can see into an alternate timeline, suddenly there was a spy taking Labilia's place, now
Weisz has a backstory related to Drakken that wasn't there in 29 (despite, narratively speaking, being the best time to introduce it, so he has more stakes from the start
of 30), etc.

>Homura faces the exact same opponent she
had faced before, but this time she wins. She didn't win the first time around because she didn't think of using her Wind Cutter sword in that fight,
but she doesn't even have the excuse of not having it in hand because she can materialize her own swords at will! Then she can blow winds better than
Sylph, something she couldn't in 29, but can do in 30 because now Mashima decided it was time for Homura to win.

Let's ignore this feeling called shock. Im the first run, Shiki and co were confident that they could have done it in a flash. Dont you think when the opposite happens, they're gonna feel the shock? Dont you think it's gonna affect his ability in anyway? But no. You totally know better than the ACTUAL MANGAKA itself right? I mean compared to him, Hiro Mashima is a scrub and your writing is so much better. Of course you know the rules of LITERALLY THE WORLD HE BUILT better than him. 😂

>In world 29, Labilia had shown signs of being heavily tortured, but when it's revealed it was Amira on 30, she is unscathed.
On 30, the real Labilia is hiding where Homura found her stripper clothes on 29, yet she isn't there the first time around.
Sylph's brother is guarding Drakken's most vulnerable room instead of being a front liner like on 29.
Shiki only knew about Overdrive on 29 and never managed to pull it there, yet he's capable of pulling it out on 30.

Yes. A completely new timeline will surely has the same fucking things. There's no such things as a ripple effect. Again, this is literally the world that Hiro Mashima himself fucking built, not yours. Dont act like you know better than him. You got a time eating alien creating 2 Weisz in the same timeline and having different things in a literally different timeline is unbelievable. Lol.

Talking about another works and his previous works does nothing to your points as they're shit in the first place. If you just stopped and thought about the "asspulls" for a moment instead of blindly following the bandwagon, you wouldn't even write that first comment. We get it. Fairy Tail suck at the end. The asspull are abundant. You're not a genius for telling us that. And all those "smart mangaka" stuff, they're not. At all. Even reading them sounds contrived and repetitive. I dont even see where the smartness there. They're what you would do. I mean you literally made up your own plot there. Lol.

Trying to look all intellectual and knowledgeable when all you did is make yourself look like a blind bandwagoner. Lol 😂

Users who are viewing this thread